Closed to new replies
December 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Fiction/Fantasy Recommendations?

:iconluna-bell07:
Luna-Bell07 Dec 2, 2012  Student Writer
:bulletblue: Hi there! I'm looking for a great book to read! Can anyone help me?

-Fiction and/or Fantasy, please!
-Preferable: strong, male heroes, NO cliche heroines/female sidekicks/love interests. Stories about friendship/brotherhood preferred. Please NO: clumsy guy falls for flawless girl, woman with really crappy attitude/dark past pretends not to notice guy she's obviously in love with, etc. NO CLICHE STORYLINES.
-Urban fantasy is great too!

-Book must be for adults. No YA.
-No stories that focus solely on gore, and/or sex.
-AND PLEASE NO CLICHES. PREFERABLY NO CLICHE FEMALE CHARACTERS.

Thank you :heart:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfredfan11:
fredfan11 Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Sword of Truth series is fantastic.
:iconsniper0092:
Sniper0092 Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Jurassic Park.
:iconensoul:
ensoul Jan 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
Jasper Fforde. Most famously did the Thursday Next series, which is pretty good (books have their own universe, crazy conspiracies happen), also started the Nursery Crimes series and the one-off Fifty Shades of Grey (no relation) which is awesome.
:iconmapledragons:
MapleDragons Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Artemis Fowl series. Fantasy + SciFi = coolios.
:iconavix215:
Avix215 Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Check out Ranger's apprentice, by John Flanagan. It's pretty fantastic.
:iconmeganekun:
meganekun Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is a great Fantasy series, with an emphasis on humor and poking at fantasy cliches. It currently has four different... storylines (not sure if that's the word I'd use), but each book is stand alone.

They say a good one-of book in the series that's a good introduction to Discworld as a whole is Small Gods.

Personally, my favorite Discworld series is the City Watch. Start with "Guards! Guards!" The lead character hates the type of hero with the perfect golden armor and with a smile that goes "Ting!"
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Agreed. I'm very fond of the books too, although my favourite series is the 'Death' series. Hogfather's my favourite.

To the person who made the thread, he also writes rather loose parodies of famous books and plays and turns them into Discworld books. Some examples:

Maskerade- Phantom of the Opera parody
Wyrd Sisters- MacBeth parody
Lords and Ladies- Midsummer Night's Dream parody
Night Watch- Supposedly a Les Miserables parody but I couldn't tell you that cause I haven't read Les Mis.
:iconmemnalar:
Somebody already gave you Glen Cook, and I'll co-sign that recommendation. Everything on your list is found in the Black Company series, and the female characters are no one to trifle with.

Otherwise, look at Robert Zelazny (Amber Chronicles), and Steven Brust (Vlad Taltos series).
:icondr-shadowbell:
dr-shadowbell Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
DeNiro's Game by Rawi Hage. Based on what you described, that one fits the bill.

American Gods and also Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman are very good. Try The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
:iconrevampyre:
revampyre Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Redeeming Grace by Erin Sinnott (:

Not at all cliche and not exactly YA (it can be for any age range, though adult is probably strongly preferred due to some of the themes). I highly, highly recommend it. It's not a very well known book, but I guarantee that once you start reading, you won't be able to put it down!
Add a Comment: