Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Gothic Literature!

:icondragonflae:
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Who else here reads and/or writes old-style Gothic literature?

I've seen many on this site claim to write it, but much to my disgust I've found nothing but teenage characters with badly interpreted emotional disorders and the repeat of the words 'bleed' and 'darkness'.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My friend :icontheawesomefaerie: has recently became obsessed with Gothic literature (especially Edgar Allan Poe) after studying it in school and is trying to brush it off on me. It's working, but I've been too busy lately to sit down and read anything, it's annoying.
Last week my friends and I all spent 45 minutes reading E.A.P. poems to each other, much to the disgust of one of them.
:iconericthomasstudios:
EricThomasStudios Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Professional General Artist
Waiting for the copy of Carmilla to come in the next few days :D I grew up on Lovecraft and Poe, and try to write my urban fantasy stories with at least some of the depressing charm of the Gothic works in there.
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student
Melmoth the Wanderer is my absolute favorite. Followed closely by The Monk, and The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. I don't much care for the more modern stuff, unless you count H P Lovecraft as gothic.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Original frankenstein was like one of the worst books I've ever read. is all gothic literature written like that?
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
No two books are the same. I prefer Poe to Shelly by far.
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
there are the great classic: as Frankenstein by M.Shelley or Otranto Castel or Vampires sagas by Polidori, Fanu and Stoker.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Writer
I've a few plot ideas which may be considered gothic fiction, but I haven't yet penned them. Does gothic fiction require a particular setting?
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
My English textbook specifies that Gothic fiction has disturbed or unbalanced characters, dreary settings and supernatural events.
:iconwitwitch:
witwitch Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Writer
I'm missing supernatural; I merely have disturbed, unbalanced characters doing disturbing things in a dreary setting.
Dragonflae Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
You don't have to do much else, then. Just leave one or two things unexplained, and it should count -w-
Add a Comment: