Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

Good book suggestions anyone?

:icondraconicparagon:
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have read Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 11 times, love that book, loved the Harry Potter books, loved reading State of Fear, Jaurassic Park, Lost World, and Timeline by Michael Crichton, and am currently reading Micro by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston, but I am almost done and don't have a good book to read after that, any good book suggestions?

I am also a member of good reads but even that site has hit and miss suggestions, usually I like reading books that real people suggest to me.

Thanks!

Cheers!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongingerontheinside:
gingerontheinside Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Here there be dragons... Nuff said
:iconnecroraevyn:
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Student Writer
Rick Riordan is good, even though he's a children's author mainly.
Life of Pi is good too, the original novel the recent movie was based on.
Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, it is awesomeness in its most awesome form in the awesome history of sheer awesome awesomeness.
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Very funny stuff! :D
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Writer
Yeah. It is pure awesomeness. Did you also read the rest of the pentalogy (however you spell that)? I love Adams's sense of humour. Everybody in the class knows that I celebrate Towelday and 42 day (my personal invention, on April the 2nd).
It will be greatly appreciated if you do not panic.
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I did read them, I also read the Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency books too! :D
NecroRaevyn Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Writer
I wish I can read them... (sighs with envy) they aren't in the local library! And the thing is, I can't even buy them! I'm saving up. Sad ):
:iconsapphire-petal:
Sapphire-Petal Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I was actually in the middle of reading Ender's Game before college started. Because of all the books I've been required to read, I haven't picked it up since August :'(

Once this semester ends, I'm gonna pick it back up again.
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It is well worth the read, I wouldn't read any of the others though, except Ender's Shadow. Ender's Shadow is the book Ender's Game but from a different characters perspective.
:iconragnaice:
ragnaice Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
To repeat myself from other book recommendation threads: Temeraire by Naomi Novik ([link])
DraconicParagon Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks, will have to check that out!
:iconsavehearts:
SavEHeArts Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm not really sure why but "As The Crow Flies" By J. Archer is the one book that always comes to my mind when I'm looking at good book suggestions. (:
Thanks, will look into that!
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
try some Fnatasy, like master piece of the genre, like Terry Brooks or the Dark Tower by S.King or the Watcher, i don't want to suggest you Tolkien because it is a little complicated even if is really useful to comprhend them.
I read Tolkien, loved There and Back Again, liked the first in the trilogy after, and stopped mid-way through the second book, just couldn't not plow through it. Picked it up later and plowed through it (don't like to leave books unfinished) then plowed through the last book, didn't like them.

Love Terry Brooks stuff, couldn't get too into Dark Tower series, too morbid and too crazy with talking death trains and stuff, also didn't like how he crippled his main character right from the start of the series (the lobster thing bit his fingers off on one hand, so much for being an awesome dual gun wielding gunslinger for the rest of the books)
If you want to re-start to read Tolkine, just ask me, i've the complete collection in my house(but no 3 books...sig)
Nice! I love collecting books but don't have enough money to do so! (Thank heavens for Libraries)
that's a work that last years, i started in middle school now i'm in university, they are all presents, also because some of them you have to book on internet...i've other books in my room...they are something like 100(i didn't count school books)...i haven't enought shelves...)
Crazy! :D
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
+1 on Dark Tower by Stephen King. Not really a horror fiction fan, but that series totally made me love him.
Really? I didn't like how he crippled his main character right off the bat. He was telling a tale about a master dual wielding gunslinger... and then the lobster monster bites off fingers on one hand so early on, so much for that... I dunno, I guess I just thought it was too dark, too morbid, too crazy. Talking death trains, wheelchair lady who is crazy good at sex, the druggie,and the messed up hand main guy sorta a mismatch crew for a novel.
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A master gunslinger who trains others to make up for that loss of one hand, I guess? Yeah, it's pretty screwed up, but still good by me.
Eh, to each their own I suppose.
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yep. Bashing and flaming over different tastes in Literature is childish and insulting to the term "Literature". Haha.
i said that it is a "fantasy" for that :)
Agreed. Although I wasn't a fan from when it first came out(too young for that.), so I pretty much got to read the books nearly in one (metaphorical) sitting. Haha.
I'm not a fan of books published by recent authors, so all my recommendations will be from... Really OLD authors.

Um, always been a huge fan of the whole King Authur thing, so, have you tried The Lost Years Of Merlin by T.A. Barron.

I also like the Jon Shannow series by David Gemmell.

Vampire fiction has always been a love of mine, but I like my vampire reads to be more like Anne Rice than Twiturd(sorry, can't get over my prejudice of it.). Um, Anita Blake vampire novels by Laurell K. Hamilton are always a good sexy read, even if the BDSM tone are wuite heavy, so, yeah, I'm always a bit unsure about recommending them to people.

Um, sorry if I've just been recommending authors that I like to read rather than recommendations based off your likes. Um, give it a try?
Read lost years of Merlin a long time ago.

Enjoyed the first Twilight book, thought the others were "ok" not too into the vampire thing. I will give the Jon Shannow series a go, thanks for the recommendations! :D
No problem. Um, I'd say that Jon Shannow is kind of a Western. A Western with fantasy.
:iconkaty-l-wood:
Katy-L-Wood Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
I highly recommend Cassandra Clare's works. She has two book series she is currently in the process of publishing, both based in the same world but 150ish years apart. They are "The Infernal Devices" series and "The Mortal Instruments" series. Both focus on a world of demons and the race of part humans, part angels who hunt them. There's great character depth and variety, great plot lines and sub-plot lines, a great world, etc.

I'd also recommend Sarah Rees Brennan's works. She has one finished trilogy called "The Demon's Lexicon" which focuses on what it means to be human and familial relationships. It's also got awesome characters and plots and such. She has another series, "The Lyburn Legacy" of which the first book is out. It's a Gothic romance with a supernatural twist and I highly recommend it.

I've also heard great things about the works of Holly Black and Maureen Johnson, though I haven't had time to read those myself yet!
Could not STAND the Mortal Instruments series for some reasons or another, same went for Infernal Devices. I will have to look at your other recommendations though, thanks!
:iconkaty-l-wood:
Katy-L-Wood Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Welcome.
:iconwakuri-neko-san:
wakuri-neko-san Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I am kind of a YA addict, but I LOVE the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. Srsly my favorite book series ever. Also love Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy, the Abhorson trilogy by Garth Nix. Those are my standard go-to books.
You have great tastes, I LOVE THE ABHORSON BOOKS! I especially love listening to TIM CURRY read the books on the audio versions, he does a GREAT Mogget. Did not like the Percy Jackson series at all, too kid-ish for me. Never could get into Artemis Fowl, will have to try the Skulduggery Pleasant one, thanks for the suggestions! :D
wakuri-neko-san Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
You are a monster with no soul for not liking Percy Jackson :p
+1 person dislikes this post.
I personally like Percy Jackson a lot better than Harry Potter. I can see why some people mighth think it is too childish, but reallym the first few books in the harry potter series are also rather childish as well, right? As the series moves on and the characters mature, so do the books. I just like Percy's character a lot better than Harry's. That realization kind of killed my childhood. I reread all the HP nooks last year and kept comparing Harry to Percy and liking Percy more. lol. I am definitely more into optimistic heroes than whiney/dark/angtsy ones. lol.
My fourth grade teacher started reading the first Harry Potter book to our class (before the whole hallabaloo and the banning garbage that fell into place) and from then on I was hooked. So I grew up reading Harry Potter, man I read Harry Potter before it was cool and popular/whatnot. But I didn't read Percy Jackson until after I randomly saw a movie trailer for The Lightning Thief and someone told me it was a book series. So it was post-mission, college age that I read Percy, thus I found it very childish.
I read it about the same age and found it brilliant though. :)
Great minds... sometimes think different? lol
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: