Civil Disobedience - Henry D. Thoreau

Hello to you all,
I read the book and I'm overwhelmed.
Especially "Life without principles" was my taste.
What do you think about it? Did you like it?
Who would you recommend it?
And: what do you think about the last sentence in "Life without principles"?
What do you think about Thoreau in general?

Thank you :)
Comments5
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I haven't read that particular one. I lost my affection for Thoreau when I read Walden. Am I the only one who found him smug, egotistical, and racist? He brags about his superior lifestyle, and how economical it was, but his own number-crunching shows he's already in debt. Then, he stops by and lectures an Irishman he knows about how he should act more like Thoreau -- even though the Irishman has a steady job and a family to support!
Sheesh! Thoreau came across as an arrogant, pompous jerk, and I stopped reading him in disgust, even though I agreed with some of his other positions...
I had to read part of Walden for school once and that was all I read. I can see he might be good to some people, but he bored me a bit.
but the reason I'm responding here is that he wrote about how he was living on his own off the land doing stuff for himself, but apparently his mother and sisters or some women in his life would come out and do his laundry. I'm not sure this is true, but he does seem kinda arrogant, yeah.
Ah, I hadn't heard about the laundry part. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I can believe it, though. It sorts with his lecturing of that Irishman for not being like him. I felt for the poor guy, who was politely enduring this lecture from a lazybones while he worked hard for his family.
I didn't like it too much. Life without any rules seems too chaotic since there are too much people with too many different opinons.