Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Why has the art style in comic changed so much?

:iconsoriyns-knight:
Soriyns-Knight Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
If you look at a Marvel comic from say, the 70's and compair it to a comic that came out last week, you would notice how dramatically the way the comics are drawn has changed from then to now. I'd like to know what caused this, improvements in artistic and printing technology, new standards or was it simply a lack of interest in the old style?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconaprilmcguire:
AprilMcGuire Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Lol, you can tell they didn't like the responses, they haven't replied to any of them. xD

Well, either way: Technology got better, digital styles became quicker. Same thing with 2D to 3D movies. It is cheaper, faster to make, and more efficient.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
have you seen art before?
:icondj078:
dj078 Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
You can see the changes everywhere by the time. In movies, in Books, in fashion, thinking of people nothing is remained same as 70’s. At that time may be priorities of people were different or maybe they like the print of comics and books that way. The reason behind it can be technology, they didn’t know about today’s technology that’s why they were not able to print like today.
:iconjesseacosta:
JesseAcosta Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
I think moronic older fans believe that they need a "serious" look to their comics to justify their hobby, which has created a disgusting commonality among many comics right now. The reason people still draw and paint instead of photography is because those mediums can depict things that cannot be achieved in photography. So I'm sick of all these cookie cutter artists who rely too heavily on photography and ultra rendering.

The comic artists I follow right now are Evan Shaner, Franceso Francavilla, Skottie Young, Guy Davis, Humberto Ramos, Fabio Moon, Gabriel Bá, James Stokoe, Dan Hipp, Jarret Williams, Brandon Graham, and Brian Hurt. They all have a unique flavor and embrace the art of cartooning and stretch the medium to new directions.

To be honest, I get way more excited browsing the quarter bins for old 70s/80s comics than the majority of what's on the new this week shelves. I still get so excited over the old Buscema Conan books, and pick them up even though they have been recolored and reprinted in trades. There's something wonderful about newsprint over gloss, and half tone dots and off registration than the perfection of modern printing.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Student General Artist
Skee! I :heart: Fabio Moon! And Gabriel Ba, but only because of Daytrippers, I haven't read anything else he's worked on. Man are they lovely.

If you like their work, maybe check out Ramon Perez (sorry, can't do accents on my keyboard). For some reason his art makes me think of their work.
:iconschris91:
schris91 Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Filmographer
No way, sure there's a lot of that there always seem to be a couple Marvel/DC books that have really unique art styles, sometimes painted instead of heavy inks and blacks or something like Punisher War Zone had. There's some commonality but that's also because a lot of the working artists were influenced by the same dudes. However, there's definitely more and more variation in art style as time passes on.
:iconthedaytripper:
TheDayTripper Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
what? No Kenneth Rocafort, Mahmud Asrar, Lenil Yu, Fiona Staples,Sean Gordon, Murphy, or Stuart Immonen?
:iconkev19180:
kev19180 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Everything changes over time. Look at anything.. music, car design, architecture, etc.
Generally is starts with someone getting an idea to do something different, then others build on it, and then we eventually get what we have today. I personally love the way it has gone in comics at least.
:icongingerontheinside:
gingerontheinside Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
As we advance overtime, trends occur, like sleekness, or elegance, back then, it was all about being big
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Production method has made it possible to do more than 8 colours without totally going over budget. Digital print and CYMK colour system has made it possible to print things with great registration and a wide variety of tints and colour.

Also comic illustration is becoming more studied and more classically schooled artists trained in anatomy and colour theory are becoming attracted to commercial art and sequential narration. Better communications also mean artists from Europe, America, Latin America, and Asia are starting to share techniques in both story telling and artistic style and material wise.

Also in marketing wise, Americans are taking clues from Japan that has a very diverse market, that women actually can also read and enjoy artworks. As the fans from the later half of the last century age, there is also a growing demand for more mature theme and realistic artwork to keep those fans who are now dealing with the hardships of becoming independent.

So I think it's a really good thing for the American industry to diversify, especially of a young woman of colour who did not grow up reading comics and picked up on it later.
Add a Comment: