November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

How do you buy your manga

:iconlycatel:
Lycatel Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
hellooo people

Yep, this question is pretty simple. I would like to know how most of you buy your manga, do you order it online or actually go out into a store and pick it up with your own hands.

If you do both, maybe you can explain on what occasions do you choose to order and what occasions do you choose to buy face to face & what makes you choose that method

Everyone is more than welcome to answer, it will be much appreciated :D

Much love

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I borrow books from the library.
Because buying books in New Zealand is expensive compared to other countries - or so I've heard from friends who have moved here from Britain.
:icontojix:
TojiX Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
I just go out and buy them from Mr. Goshi along with my newspaper.
:iconskysetting:
Skysetting Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I buy them in the bookstore or online. But usually online, because the bookstore where I always go to, has a huge shelf with mangas. And all unsorted. So I get really confused and forget to buy most I wanted XD
:iconsapphire-petal:
Sapphire-Petal Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I usually get them at Barnes and Noble... but their selection (At least the one I go to) isn't very good.
:iconnicocc98:
Nicocc98 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I "buy" them online. Lotsa manga never get licensed.
:iconkaera-neko:
Kaera-Neko Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I used to buy my mangas in a local bookstore, then they decided to pretty much give up translating and publishing manga in Sweden, so nowadays I read them online. I contributed a good deal to the manga market while I could, at least. :shrug:
:iconlibegon:
Libegon Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Depends on if it's in English or German.
If it's in English, I order it online, have relatives get it or buy it when I'm in America from a book store.
If it's in German, I go to comic shops a lot with friends, so I just get it then.
:iconnekoshadow:
nekoshadow Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I work at a bookstore...so I just buy them on a day off ;)
:iconkakashi95fan:
Kakashi95fan Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I just go to the book-shop and buy them! :D
:iconkittymrowmrow:
KittyMrowMrow Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I go to the store and get it.

I used to get all my manga at Borders, but now I hafta go to Barnes & Nobles ;n;
:iconxxevilblondiexx:
xxEvilBlondiexx Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I always buy online since I don't have any bookstores near where I live. And they're cheaper online anyway.
:iconchurien:
churien Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
both :XD:

usually at Kinokuniya. Anything more expensive than 900yen, I rather wait until I have a bunch of 'em and buy on Amazon JP since overall they're cheaper. I don't mind second hand too, but I haven't been checking local forums to see if anyone has to sell. I like cheap second hand stuff :la:
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Get almost all my manga at the library, I don't know how someone can justify following a shonen like bleach, naruto, or one piece thats $500 easy. Only ever buy manga wrapped in plastic or brand new series you can't get in libraries like spice and wolf.
:icondawn-mayer:
Dawn-Mayer Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I prefer ordering them online, since is too expensive here and it's hard to find the ones I like.
:iconitriela:
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I buy most from Barnes and Noble, but if it's a volume I need and they don't have it, I buy off of the internet. Usually Rightstuf or Amazon, those are cheapest for manga.
:iconearlofthemillennium:
EarlOfTheMillennium Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I usually get mine at Barnes and Noble, since there's two near me.
:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Anguson n roberts closed so now i don't buy any manga. I get them through the library to order like blade of the immortal.
Lycatel Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
do you pay for that or is it free from the library?
:iconbugfacegard:
bugfacegard Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I have to pay to jion the library but the books are free. They have a pretty big range too some of the titles i read.
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
Easy: I don't.
:iconpaprikaflavour:
Paprikaflavour Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I usually buy both online and in comic book stores. The neighborhood where I used two live had three amazing stores, but since I moved it's mostly online. One can find really good deals on slightly used books ^^
:iconnarcisistwaffle:
NarcisistWaffle Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Piratebay. :lmao:
:iconnordicgreeneyedwolf:
NordicGreenEyedWolf Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I order mine online since my bookstores don't sell a lot of manga, they don't have the titles I want and they like to overprice if I want them to order them for me. I like to order mine from a Swedish site since they have cheap prices compared to others and the have free shipping.
Do you know where thewebsite gets its collection from, weather it is from distributors like Viz or do they create a list of the ones they want
:iconnordicgreeneyedwolf:
NordicGreenEyedWolf Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not sure but I guess they order from different companies around the World :shrug:
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I've only ever ordered ONE volume of manga online, and it was in French. From Amazon France. And it was ridiculously pricy. :lol:
Yes I wanted the end of the series THAT badly, and it was on hiatus in English. So.

Normally I just go to the bookstore and hope they have what I want.
hehe sounds like you really loved that series
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I did. :B Haha.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
From the comic book shop. If it doesn't have the issue I want, I get it online (Either from Fishpond or directly from the publisher).

I generally read filthy, filthy fan translations online though, so...
:iconkomiru:
komiru Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
When Borders Bookstore was open I would buy it from there cause I lived right by it and always had coupons which made them like 3-6 bucks a book. But since they closed I usually order them off amazon.com. Usually most of the manga (primarily VIZ manga) is buy 3 get the 4th free. You have to double check though. It will say 4-for-3 promotion or something similar to that. I will occasionally buy them used at Hastings to if they are in new condition, super picky about my manga XD
:iconasukakissu:
AsukaKissu Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Store~
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i used to go to the bookstore and buy mangas there. a long time ago, i didn't even KNOW there was manga online.

but it seems like everyone else likes reading manga online. i don't like that as much, i prefer actual BOOKS. (but i do read a little online)

i still read the books but... i order them from amazon.com instead of my nearby bookstore (barnes and noble) because amazon just has a wider selection.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I go to Japan to buy it.

Other than that I read it online
lol... all the way to japan? seriously?
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I go to Japan once every 2 years....
so while I'm there I buy manga
oh well, that makes sense then. Do you mind me asking why you visit japan so often?
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Relatives and friends live there
:iconcetriya:
Cetriya Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional General Artist
I buy online now because most of my manga is not the popular one and is almost never in stores. plus with all the book stores closing now, its far to drive. Also, people are crazy drivers. it cost the same as ordering it. Other times I'll buy them at cons since its on sale, or an independent publisher and I wan to support.
book stores are closing down.. that must be in the states. Over here in the UK bookstores still seem to plenty around
Cetriya Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Professional General Artist
thats another thing, a lot of books i like don't have a US release
So then do you buy them in japanese :0
Cetriya Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
A few times but that is if I like the Art. Other wise I'll just read the scans until it comes out in English. Most foreign books I buy are Korean Chinese and French
:iconrowanf:
RowanF Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Student General Artist
I prefer to buy in person because you can flick through the pages to get a feel of it before you buy :D
sadly there's less manga available in my town than there used to be.. :( I should probably look online more often :)
:iconjak-the-lombax:
Jak-the-Lombax Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I buy mine at the comicbook store.
does your local comic book store have all the titles you want?
:iconjak-the-lombax:
Jak-the-Lombax Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Most of them.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
It really depends. I tend to like buying a story I can read up on a little bit. I've bought some comics that I originally read online from independent artists. For manga, I typically buy in the store since that's the only way I can get a look into it :)
yeah, i suppose that makes sense, but for example, when new volumes of Naruto/Bakuman or a well known manga that you like is released, do you still go to the store or would you rather buy on say amazon or play.com?
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I don't really follow either of those :lol:. I don't buy much manga nowadays, but I tend to buy more from dA artists :nod:. In such case, I would have to buy online. Otherwise, I just browse about the store, see art that looks appealing, read the synopsis on the back, and then consider buying it :)
i really like your style :D. How do you know when DA artists have created manga though? there's so many dA artist out there.
Add a Comment: