Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 21, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

What is your favourite type of proteagonist?

:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So, simple question, right?
What is the type of protagonist you prefer to read about in a novel?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsabby1300:
Sabby1300 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I like the ones that start out jaded or shitty in the beginning, but grow to be better people as the story progresses. I've noticed that some of the best books I've ever read involve protagonists like that. They start out like complete shit-heads...and then by the end of the book they're like, "I LOVE PEOPLE, OMG!"
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Example? :)
Songmaster by Orson Scott Card is one; I'd read it despite all the hype he gets over the Internet for being a homophobe. The guy probably can't figure out whose side he's on, but damn can he write. (The book's also a weird mixture of fantasy, science fiction, and modernism. It made me think of Lord of the Rings in Space.)

The World Ends With You is another example, only it's a video game. I suppose minus the game play, it can be a visual novel. And it pretty much is. It has all those themes in it that get me right in the heart muscle. Learning and growing as a character. Experiencing a side of life no one else gets to and finding out what it means to be alive.
What happens in Songmaster?
Well the protagonist Ansset starts out as this virtually emotionless being, despite being human, which causes him to act like an ass to his friends and elders. At the time, he can sing like nobody's business. Over time, however, he loses his singing abilities, but learns how to be emotional. So he may not be able to sing like Josh Groban, but he gets the message across anyway, because he can feel. It also helps that he's kind of psychic. He knows what people are feeling/thinking ahead of time before he sings. So he can put those thoughts and emotions into his songs before he sings. In doing so, this makes him extremely famous. It's kinda cheating, I think, but hey! It's the hardships he goes through down the line that really make you involved with him and his story. I guess that's why the ending (which I won't spoil) had me crying like a bitch for two days.
If you won't spoil then i won't ask what happens^^
:iconsojupon:
sojupon Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
someone who doesn't fit in, with a sense of humor~ they don't have to be particularly good. i don't like simple characters, they're too boring, i like complex characters~

then again, i prefer side characters
Why side characters?
:iconsojupon:
sojupon Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
they're so interesting and can be sooo mysterious! xD
:icondenzelajackson:
DenzelAJackson Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
i like protagonists that dont overpower the story, but's character and influence is matched by the antagonist's
So the good and bad should be balanced?
DenzelAJackson Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
yes, but that is just my preference. i completely understand that some stories wouldnt work properly, because maybe they just require some small events by the antagonist to progress the story further.
Which side would you root for?
DenzelAJackson Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
i always agree more with whichever side has more passion and drive. for example, even if the antagonist has a goal of something i dont agree with, if they are full of ambitious drive and a seemingly unquenchable thirst for accomplishment, thats the side im all for!
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Even if it were wrong?
DenzelAJackson Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
yes, this even baffles me a bit, but even if it something i do not support. the reason being though, is that typical modern society creates many people who are content with living comfortable, but i really admire people who aim much higher than just that. people who have a goal and pursue it, even if it causes hardship and roadblocks. to me, hard work and determination is so admirable that this is how i feel. what is your take on it?
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Striving towards a goal is good but I don't think I'd be more inclined to support the ethically bad side just because they're working hard.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
NOT anti heroes. Also, NOT mavericks who have no respect for authority or law, one-liner smart assess. Most movies have heroes like that, and I hate it. I also dislike "chosen one" heroes, heroes who are heroes because of their birth or some prophecy or some such.

Heroes I like? Dustin Hoffman's Accidental Hero. Selfish, below-average joe who, when push comes to shove, shines.

[link]
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I just read the plot. It actually sounds interesting:)
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I like that "I know more than other people" type of character
Not like he's very intelligent but he knows stuff like magic or the existence of other beings beside humans.
Like Artemis Fowl?
:iconmerlok1:
Merlok1 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
sorry I don't know who Artemis Fowl is :blushes:
:| that's surprising
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The unique kind.

Most protagonists are an "everyman." They have average personalities, and have no unusual traits except being more heroic than average, and maybe being an orphan with a mysterious father. And don't get me wrong, I do like Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter; but these kinds of protagonists are never my favorite character.

I like when the protagonist is as unique as any of the other characters. He has a specific ethnicity, set of beliefs that the readers may or may not agree with, and his own unique strengths and weaknesses that can be *employed* in the story, but aren't necessarily the obvious choices. Perfect example is Hiro from "Snow Crash." He's half African-American and half Koren-Japanese, his skills are hacking and sword fighting, and he's an unaccomplished geek who just got fired from his pizza-delivery job with the Mafia.
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Wow that is quite unique. the mafia or the yakuza?
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The Italian Mafia. They control all pizza delivery in the future, you see.
I see:nod:
:iconsheishido:
Sheishido Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like conflicted protagonists...really goody goody, bleeding hearts type of protagonists get on my damn nerves.
In what way?
:iconsheishido:
Sheishido Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A villain with a conscience.
An example?
:iconlovely-words:
Lovely-Words Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I tend to like the classic anti-heroes (pre-90s where everything had to be "gritty" and extreme).
A-team?
:iconragnaice:
ragnaice Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I tend to like heroic, righteous males with a bit of a temper (a little against my own wishes :facepalm:), such as Aragorn (LotR), Laurence (Temeraire), Jondalar (Earth's Children)...
Earth's Children?
It's a book series by Jean M. Auel and takes place in prehistoric times.
plot?
It's about a girl who grows up with neanderthals but then must learn to live with people of her own kind (cro-magnons) who are extremely prejudiced against the neanderthals. Jondalar is her love interest.
What are these "cro-magnons"?
Basically, homo sapiens (modern humans) or I don't think there is much of a difference, you can read about the series on wikipedia: [link]
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Antihero.
So you prefer antiheroes? Why's that?
Heroes are too straight laced for me to stay interested most of the time. I prefer the story of the broken character with problems and a general sense of being human about them. I don't want the knight in shining armor, that's been done and overdone. Sadly the antihero has been gaining in popularity over the years and is becoming far too common and cliche. I also enjoy a good villain that has an active role throughout the story rather than being a faceless figure right up until the final chapter.
Have you read the Year of Rogue Dragons?
No, I don't recognize that title.
Forgotten Realms. The trilogy has a protagonist that's half human and half metal golem. He really has issues, especially with women
I am a fan of the Forgotten Realms series. Also, that character sounds hilariously interesting. Wait, I read 'metal goblin' and thought 'deep gnome' or 'svirfneblin'. What an odd thought journey. It still sounds like it would be a rather entertaining character to read. I'll have to put it on my list.
Nope. golem. His left arm and leg were bitten off by a dragon when he was a child and some wizard took him in and made him robotic parts with magic so he could fight at the arena. Women tend to lead him on to see if the dragon took his equipment too.
(1 Reply)
:iconvivivoovoo:
ViViVooVoo Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
One you can relate to yourself. Always my favourite!
Any in particular?
Add a Comment: