Help a graphic novel noob: Suggest stuff!

Anyone out there who can help me pick a new graphic novel title to read? I'm not that into the superhero type of story, I'm more into the fantasy or science fiction category. Big titles that I can name are Lucifer, Sandman, Fables, Watchmen. (and yes, those are the titles I've sort of finished/ or in the process of finishing).

I'm also open to manga recommendations (It's been a looonnng ttimee since I've read them though). I do not like too much romance and like graphic novels, I'm more into sci fi, fantasy with a bit of seriousness / humor in them.
Comments70
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
100 Bullets is a Very good one! Worth getting IMO.
All-Star Superman
Saga and Skullkickers. Theyre fresh and entertaining, I think you would enjoy :)
You MUST read "Y: The Last Man". It is separated into a few different volumes but it is a completed story, and it is AMAZING.

I am currently reading "Saga" and that is amazing, and will continue to be. Also reading "Fatale" at the moment which I highly suggest for a noir/horror crime story.

Last I'll suggest "My Friend Dahmer" written by one of Jeffery Dahmer's high school friends, about the crazed killer Jeffery Dahmer growing up. It is a pretty disturbing story that humanizes the Dahmer that most of us know as a monster.
just a random selection.

Webcomics:

rice boy (Completed)
dresden codak (still running)
ascent (Completed)
digger (Completed)
wormworld (still running)
Hemlock (still running)
endstone (still running)

Print:
the incal.
anything by schuiten.
storm: the chronicles of pandarve
the arrival

Manga:

nausicaa
lone wolf and cub
akira (I'm shocked this wasn't mentioned yet!)
dororo
Marvel's Runaways -- surprisingly fresh, in comparison to the rest of their universe

The Umbrella Academy: Apocolypse Suite -- It's neat, very visually impressive, but it has some odd quirks with writing.

Gotham City Sirens -- Yes, it's advised to know a little bit about the backstory of each of the leads. However, a quick wikipedia article summary can get you up to speed. The plots and chemistry between the characters is what makes it stand out.
I've read the Runaways, I'd be interested with graphic novels like that. Thanks for the recommendations!
My best advice when it comes to graphic novels... don't look at Marvel and DC. Instead, look to the more varied sections of the graphic novels.
So, I know this is an old thread, and I'm going to try to not repeat stuff. I think people hit a lot of the giants of the genre, so definitely check those out.

A series I've been obsessed with for a while now is Carla Speed McNeil's Finder saga. Either start with Sin Eater or just Volume 1. It's one of the most interesting, complex sci-fi/fantasy universes I've read in a while. Generally the stories are either about someone solving a mystery, coming of age in this bizzarre society, or coming to terms with a mysterious past...all of which might make it sound cliche, when it's anything but. It's beautiful, haunting, and endlessly fascinating.

You can read a prequel here: [link] , although personally I'd start at the beginning.

Also, a must-read for anyone interested in sci-fi graphic novels: Katsuhiro Otomo's groundbreaking classic Akira. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it so far. It's surreal, intense, heartbreaking, and a vivid exploration of mankind's obsession with violence and war. Akira was the first manga ever to be translated from Japanese to English, and was responsible for influencing many western comic artists to explore eastern style artwork.
Thanks for reviving the thread. I'll put your recommendations to my graphic novel list. :D
1989 Havoc & Wolverine Meltdown_Epic Comics Marvel

great art and a fun read
Bone
Shi
Cages by Dave Mckeen
Anything with David Mack as the Artist.
Madman
Neil Gaiman's Sandman Series. Blankets. I also love the 90's Jack Knight Starman Series. One of my favorite superhero books.
I recommend BPRD, Sgt. Frog, and Gundam, and Maus is very interesting.
DEMO by Brian Cloonan and Becky Cloonan ~ if you love the supernatural, sci-fi, and magical realism, you'll love this. It's a collection of one-shots that are simply stunning. Try The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite and The Umbrella Academy: Dallas by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba.

This manga could be a bit hard to find but I really liked Jyu Oh Sei. The setting is a planet where the plants are the top of the food chain. It's AWESOME. Another good read is Immortal Rain (just a tiny bit of controversial romance), and Akira.
Good of you to read Watchmen, that's one of the best comics i've ever read. You may want to consider V for Vendetta :) It was originally a graphic novel that was turned into a movie. However, the graphic nove is far better than the movie, which is the same case for Watchmen :)
SAGA really you cant go wrong with saga. It'll make your sci fi senses tingle
Id recommend Chew, its not really fantasy or science fiction but its pretty out there and dont worry its not superhero lol pick up the first trade and see if its your cup of tea or not
if you liked sandman check out HELLBLAZER..pretty rad

Y the last man
Trans-metropolitan
all great books!!
let us know which ones you pick out and what you think! :D
I have to wait til I go home to the Philippines to get some of those graphic novels. So far, I'm going to try the web comics. I'll post what I've read here for you guys to check my "progress" ahhahah.
A friend gave me the comic Saga for a christmas present a week ago. It was oh so good. You should pick it up :) There's only one book out right now.
Thanks for all the titles guys! I think I have too much to check out now, but keep it coming. I'm making a list for all of these so that I won't run out of stuff to read.
You want SF comics? Boy, have I got a treat for you.

Moebuis & Jodorowsky: The Incal.

Actually pretty much anything by Moebius that you can find. But The Incal will blow your mind, and introduce you to the magic of French comics. (Or bande dessiné, lit. "drawn strips".) I have a hardbound collection of the whole thing that came out recently; it was well worth the forty bucks I paid for it. You've probably been seeing homages to this masterpiece for years without knowing it.

Brandon Graham: King City. It's a story about a dude whose secret ninja weapon is a special cat that does all kinds of crazy things when he injects it with drugs. Full of puns, very silly - and also very serious and heartfelt. Graham's one of my favorite creators working today. And then go start picking up issues of the reboot of Image's <cite>Prophet</cite> that he's helming, I can't believe I'm eagerly anticipating every issue of a fucking Liefeld creation.

Jack Kirby et al: Fourth World Omnibus. Yeah it's superheros. But only barely. This is the man who did more to define what superheros "were" than anyone else at the peak of his powers, going absolutely crazy. Every third page brings some wild new vision, until the tragic fourth volume which collects the point when DC decided to cancel three of the four interwoven series that this story lived in, and turn the last one into something that stood alone as single issues.

While we're straying close to the superhero world I'll also suggest
Grant Morrison et al: The Invisibles. This will also blow your mind.

Jeff Smith: RASL. A tight SF story from the creator of "Bone", adults only, involves parallel worlds, fisticuffs, romance, and Tesla.

Sfar/Trondheim et al: Dungeon. This is silly, sexy French fantasy. Warning: despite its cartoony art, people fuck in it. Really clever, inventive, irreverent, and delightful. There's three different series; it started with "Dungeon", then later they did "

Mike Mignola: Hellboy - Wake The Devil. There's a lot more Hellboy but this is a great introduction to the character. It's not the first Hellboy story Mignola did but it's the one where he really found the groove.

Paul Pope: Heavy Liquid. Oh man this is gorgeous, it's this crazy SF story about a Mick Jagger lookalike who's dealing this obscure drug that comes from space and gets hired to look for a sculptor who's also… Just read it, okay? It's got space drugs, assassins who wear masks taken fro Picasso's <cite>Guernica</cite>, an evil little girl dressed like a pirate, and more.

If you can find anything by Matt Howarth then snap it up, next to nobody in the States knows about him and it's a damn shame. And I can tell you why: his entire contact with the superhero publishing industry was a backup story in one issue of Green Lantern, and a miniseries about a woman who fell in love with a sentient asteroid for DC's short-lived SF "Helix" imprint. If you like SF you'll like him.

Naoki Urasawa: Pluto. This is a retelling of one of the best-regarded arcs of Osamu Tezuka's <cite>Astro Boy</cite>. It's about robots, humanity, and a mysterious murderer. Some parts made me cry. That's a good thing.

And finally allow me to humbly suggest my own SF graphic novel in progress, Decrypting Rita. It's about a robot lady who's come unstuck from reality.
ghost in the shell is the obvious recommendation, although remember to put your thinking cap on before reading it

especially the last few chapters, oy vey