Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 69

Help a graphic novel noob: Suggest stuff!

:iconfrillion:
frillion Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
Anyone out there who can help me pick a new graphic novel title to read? I'm not that into the superhero type of story, I'm more into the fantasy or science fiction category. Big titles that I can name are Lucifer, Sandman, Fables, Watchmen. (and yes, those are the titles I've sort of finished/ or in the process of finishing).

I'm also open to manga recommendations (It's been a looonnng ttimee since I've read them though). I do not like too much romance and like graphic novels, I'm more into sci fi, fantasy with a bit of seriousness / humor in them.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvillarealval:
VillarealVal Jan 31, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
100 Bullets is a Very good one! Worth getting IMO.
:iconcenaris:
Cenaris Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
All-Star Superman
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Jan 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Saga and Skullkickers. Theyre fresh and entertaining, I think you would enjoy :)
:iconfinkgraphics:
finkgraphics Jan 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
You MUST read "Y: The Last Man". It is separated into a few different volumes but it is a completed story, and it is AMAZING.

I am currently reading "Saga" and that is amazing, and will continue to be. Also reading "Fatale" at the moment which I highly suggest for a noir/horror crime story.

Last I'll suggest "My Friend Dahmer" written by one of Jeffery Dahmer's high school friends, about the crazed killer Jeffery Dahmer growing up. It is a pretty disturbing story that humanizes the Dahmer that most of us know as a monster.
:icondhr-bosch:
just a random selection.

Webcomics:

rice boy (Completed)
dresden codak (still running)
ascent (Completed)
digger (Completed)
wormworld (still running)
Hemlock (still running)
endstone (still running)

Print:
the incal.
anything by schuiten.
storm: the chronicles of pandarve
the arrival

Manga:

nausicaa
lone wolf and cub
akira (I'm shocked this wasn't mentioned yet!)
dororo
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
Marvel's Runaways -- surprisingly fresh, in comparison to the rest of their universe

The Umbrella Academy: Apocolypse Suite -- It's neat, very visually impressive, but it has some odd quirks with writing.

Gotham City Sirens -- Yes, it's advised to know a little bit about the backstory of each of the leads. However, a quick wikipedia article summary can get you up to speed. The plots and chemistry between the characters is what makes it stand out.
frillion Jan 22, 2013  Professional General Artist
I've read the Runaways, I'd be interested with graphic novels like that. Thanks for the recommendations!
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Jan 23, 2013  Professional General Artist
My best advice when it comes to graphic novels... don't look at Marvel and DC. Instead, look to the more varied sections of the graphic novels.
:iconlucy-merriman:
Lucy-Merriman Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
So, I know this is an old thread, and I'm going to try to not repeat stuff. I think people hit a lot of the giants of the genre, so definitely check those out.

A series I've been obsessed with for a while now is Carla Speed McNeil's Finder saga. Either start with Sin Eater or just Volume 1. It's one of the most interesting, complex sci-fi/fantasy universes I've read in a while. Generally the stories are either about someone solving a mystery, coming of age in this bizzarre society, or coming to terms with a mysterious past...all of which might make it sound cliche, when it's anything but. It's beautiful, haunting, and endlessly fascinating.

You can read a prequel here: [link] , although personally I'd start at the beginning.

Also, a must-read for anyone interested in sci-fi graphic novels: Katsuhiro Otomo's groundbreaking classic Akira. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it so far. It's surreal, intense, heartbreaking, and a vivid exploration of mankind's obsession with violence and war. Akira was the first manga ever to be translated from Japanese to English, and was responsible for influencing many western comic artists to explore eastern style artwork.
frillion Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
Thanks for reviving the thread. I'll put your recommendations to my graphic novel list. :D
Add a Comment: