November 15, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Murder Mystery/Crime Comics??

:iconxh3llox:
xh3llox Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Help!
I need to find three comics to look at for my senior thesis that are similar to my idea, and I really can't find any.
I'm looking for a graphic novel/comic that is of a murder mystery/crime solving subject without any supernatural involvement, because that's all I seem to be finding.
I've done a lot of looking around and I just can't find anything. Most of the stuff I read is fantasy driven and I'm at a loss with what to look at!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondrfurball:
DrFurball Nov 21, 2012   General Artist
In the 1950s, E.C. was notorious for their crime comics, such as "Crime SuspenStories".

"Sandman Mystery Theatre" is also a really good, pulp-style detective comic.
:iconferricplushy:
FerricPlushy Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Read Ikigami, it isn't like any mystery comic you've ever read, it has an extremely unique and thought provoking premise.

And have you tried Detective Conan, it's like the gold standard of pulp mystery series.
xh3llox Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You know, Ikigami doesn't quite match what I was looking for but I am definitely going to start reading this when I've got the time. It's really interesting.
Detective Conan is a favorite of mine :)
:iconaspacecowboy:
"Torso" by B.M. Bendis. Historical fiction, what happened to Eliot Ness after he left the FBI and became head of the Cleveland PD to pursue America's first documented serial killer. A personal favorite.

"From Hell" by Alan Moore. Despite the crap he has kicked out in recent years, at his peak he was as good as they get. This comic has dozens of pages of footnotes, and they aren't superfluous. Moore's take on who Jack the Ripper really was. Probably wrong, but very well thought out and researched.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Well, this has a science fictional character, but the character is tangential to the actual mystery. It's Concrete: Fragile Creature by Paul Chadwick. His character is, yes, a man trapped inside a huge rock body, but the attempted murder and sabotage of the special effects on a movie set are otherwise well-written, with excellent characterization and a believable story arc.
:icondeizzan:
I have a few ideas for you.

Penny Arcade's Automata - This is very short, but there is nothing supernatural.

[link] Page 1
[link] Page 2
[link] Page 3
[link] Page 4
[link] Page 5
[link] Page 6

Penny Arcade's Blood and Oil written by Gary Whitta and drawn by Ben Caldwell.

[link] There are 5 pages. These are only the first 2 installments. I'm not 100% on their plans to expand.

Frank Miller's That Yellow Bastard

It wouldn't be hard to find this somewhere to download. It may not be what you're looking for, I'm not sure, but it is very good.

Just a few. I hope that these will help.
xh3llox Nov 16, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Thank you so much!! I will look into those!
:icondeizzan:
Good luck. I'll post others if I remember anything.
:iconjaymetwins:
You can take a look at Fables: Legends in Exile (Willingham), Batman: The Long Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory (both my Jeph Loeb). While the contexts are conceptual, there's nothing supernatural about the mysteries in them. :)

Good luck! Hopefully, these help.
Add a Comment: