Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Looking for a good Biography

:icongalaxygoddess:
GalaxyGoddess Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok, I'm looking for some good biography books. Not really a genre I typically look at, but I'm working on a thing and you should try to read what you want to write, right?

So they can be autobiographies, they can be ghost writer type things, but just something that you find to be a really good read, or other people have recommended you read.

Much appreciated.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Oh, there have been some mundane, familiar ones and some brilliant ones too. I'd recommend:
No Heroes by Danny Coulson
Boggs: A Comedy of Value by Lawrence Weschler, but ONLY READ the color version! It's amazing!
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman, but bear in mind he writes the truth in terms he likes, not necessarily the whole truth.
Iron & Silk by Mark Salzman (who played himself in the movie!).
GalaxyGoddess Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This list looks great! I'll definitely be checking these out :D
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, they're amazing! Oh, and did I list The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll? Technically not autobiography, exactly, but a very exciting read...
:iconsimplecomics:
simpleCOMICS Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Arnold Shwartzenager just released "Total Recall." I've always thought his life was fairly interesting, but I can't promise the book is very good. I tend to stick to wikipedia for bio-summaries of people I find interesting. But if you want some people with interesting lives that probably have good biographies I could recommend looking up a biography on the actors who played the Three Stooges (they're real lives were very interesting, in my opinion) or maybe look up Alan Moore (he's a comic book writer that I personally really don't like at all, but I can't say he's not an interesting person.)
I'm really liking the idea of turning my NaNo autobiography into a publishable thing. I mean, I don't think my life will be as interesting as these guys, but maybe someone would give it a read. Plus I can always be like "look, I explained this in my book, go read it" :P

There's many motivations behind wanting to tell my story, but I'd like some references to people who did it reasonably well.

I'll go pick up the ones you recommend and see if they hold my interest :D
:iconsimplecomics:
simpleCOMICS Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Another person with an interesting/inspiring real life story (sorry, I only really read up on celebrity bios) is Charlize Theron. She had a fairly terrible childhood but eventually made it into acting. Maybe she's one you could look into as well. Just a thought.
haha, that's ok, it's kind of in the realm of what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help :D
:iconraspil:
raspil Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   Writer
there's only one autobiography that i've read twice -- "The Devil In The Kitchen" by Marco Pierre White. He's the original outlaw chef.
OOO that one looks good. I'll definitely check that one out.
Add a Comment: