No one reads books

I find this annoying.
Reading is an essential skill in life.
And most of the people in my class can't read, spell, and doesn't know where Rome is.
Is there anyone in the world who actually likes reading books?
Comments146
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like reading. I read at least one book a month from science book to fantasy
I like reading :) So do a couple of my friends, though some of them read so slowly, they read like a one book every 6 months.
Books and art is the only way to run away without leaving home. Right? :D
I can't believe so few actually appreciate reading books, it is the best way to relax but also stimulating your knowledge and head instead of doing something brain dead like watching the hills or something on TV.
Television wasn't so bad until every show decided to cut down on proper words and instead focused on actor's who can't pronounce "you all" or "it is not" properly.
no it is really going downwards. the classic example is of course MTV, who used so air actual music and now it's just teen mom, 16 and pregnant and all that crap haha
I don't watch scheduled tv anymore, I think it started ever since survivor became prime time viewing. For sport I just go to the local bar. For reality tv I just wake up and go to work. I have seen glimpses now and then of how bad tv's become, beauty pageants for young kids, guides for building a man cave etc.
Higher level classes, extra classes, orchestra, and art keep me pretty busy so I don't do much reading anymore, but I was an avid reader up until middle school when life got busy, so my grammar and punctuation is pretty top of the line in comparison with some of my peers. However, reading books doesn't necessarily guarantee good grammar. I know many people who read a lot but are at the lower end of the stick in their English classes.
me too my classmates hate reading so much but i love to read ( it's very important in life ) [link]
No way, I never read books because it's boring. I read articles on the internet, watch movies, play games, and listen to talk radio. Those are better ways to get information imo and don't make me want to fall asleep.
oh yeah, except for comics because there's pictures, so that's fun!
That's not true! All my roommates read books daily and I know people who read a lot, and a lot more that would like to read but don't have the time! Reading keeps the mind sharp!
I love to read!!! I try to read at least 10 books in a year. And I feel proud I have done it in the last 3 years. :iconholaplz:
Reading books is a duty to yourself.
Dear god, I hope that third line is an exaggeration.
But yes, I do like reading books, a whole lot in fact. I was heartbroken when the Barnes and Noble in my town closed.
I am afraid it isn't an exaggeration.
However, this statement was only to create arguement.
*Raises hand*

I prefer audio books or actual physical books. Reading online usually drives me nuts, depending on the formatting and contrast. I have no wish to get a kindle. And I know what it feels like when everyone around you seems to have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a variety of subjects...
To be honest I'm pretty sure I would have loved reading if it wasn't for my schools screwing the whole experience over for me and associating it with a chore I hate the most

When I was in first class up untill fourth class every summer vacation we would get this ginormous list of books we had to read over the summer holidays and then we would have to write what every book was about in about 3 a4 pages in perfectly neat joint writing with no mistakes and it genuinely took most of my summers away as a kid and some nights where you will be trying to go through the pages speed reading not or skiping pages just to finish the book as soon as possible even tho in the end you havent got a clue about half of things that you just read so this was something that left a big print in my brain associating books with something I hate and that makes me bored.

Now I genuinely cannot even concentrate on reading a page in a book my brain just goes "boring,bring boring *procrastination mode on!*" and it didn't end up there when my family moved to Ireland when I was just starting 5th class I didn't have a good knowledge of English language and I was just left for an entire year most of the time just sitting there in the class and my teacher advised me to start reading books to learn the language so I have read the entire school library in that year and there was nothing that interested me either so it just turned into a big chore for me rather than something done for pleasure.

Me personally I believe reading books is not for everyone and if you don't read it isn't going to make you dumb what makes you dumb is not wanting to explore subjects your interested in and learn more ,but at the same time reading shouldn't be forced on you either. Because if you feel you "have to do it" rather than "you can do it if you like" it becomes a chore and nobody likes chores as for your comment about spellings in mobile texts well before we got free texts for a month to all mobiles in here when you pay x amount of cash at the start of the month you had to pay for each individual text and the more texts you send the more you would have to pay (common sense) and to be honest I have to admit yes we did type like that in messages ,but the reason was we would try to add as much information into one text as possible instead of spelling everything correctly and sending 3 texts in one go.It was more convenience thing and it just so happened that it caught on some people more than on the others.Also when we were in school when your siting in class and not allowed mobile phones to be on in class its faster to text "cya @fibz 7pm" than "see you at fitzboragh road at 7pm" it was just a convenience thing and I know some of my friends who still would text you back out of habbit in the crazy text language.

You know its easy to say oh they cant do this they cant do that it will make them dumb,but different people progress at learning at different levels and even tho reading and counting and spelling are the essential foundation skills of our future some people might have learning difficulties or dropped as a baby and might find these tasks more complex to do than you would find them ,then of course there are people who are just a special cases that are too lazy to do it,but its their own personal choice and why would you worry about them not being able to read words "Application form"??

My grandmother used to always have a saying "If you want to shit you will take your own pants down"

and it can apply to anything if say for example you were to apply for graphic design job tomorrow and it was your dream job just for arguments sake and you had to have experience in a program that you hate the most and can never work out how it works if you truly wanted it you would find a way how to make it work in no time just to get the job and that applies to any other subject in this world too. Willpower of a person is something that's ridiculously strong and in a lot of cases it makes nothing impossible.

Also basing total worlds school kids on all schools you've being to experience I'm sure it wont even make 1/10 of all the world schools and we cant for definately say all of the kids going to schools are going to be alike all over the world people are like snowflake you'll never find two that are alike and I know someone can turn around and say "we should be grateful for even being able to get an education",but the reality is that some of us we take what we have for granted until it is stripped from us and then we realize what we have lost.

The advice I can give you is stay strong and do what you believe in like if you believe books will make you more intelligent well then continue on reading,but never belittle people for their inability or lazyness to learn or do something let them learn from their own mistakes because its the only way they'll learn in the end.
i'm with you! reading is important! and i like it :)
to be honest, I'm actually surprised this forum is still going
I've loved reading ever since I was little, my parents encouraged it. I never relized it was hard for some people, or that they didn't like it until I got older. Ad I suppose it is kind of sad, but not everyone it going to love reading. I would just appreciate not being called weird for liking it, that's kind of rude. On the other hand, I've always taken pride in being weird :D
Maybe because reading is for nerds.
rather be a nerd than a dumbarse
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
true
Just wanted to cause an arguement.
Thanks for committing to this outdated forum.