Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012

Replies: 145

No one reads books

MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I find this annoying.
Reading is an essential skill in life.
And most of the people in my class can't read, spell, and doesn't know where Rome is.
Is there anyone in the world who actually likes reading books?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

poseidonsimons-s Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I like reading. I read at least one book a month from science book to fantasy
Take-Over-World Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I like reading :) So do a couple of my friends, though some of them read so slowly, they read like a one book every 6 months.
Thilu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Books and art is the only way to run away without leaving home. Right? :D
I can't believe so few actually appreciate reading books, it is the best way to relax but also stimulating your knowledge and head instead of doing something brain dead like watching the hills or something on TV.
Zazill Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Television wasn't so bad until every show decided to cut down on proper words and instead focused on actor's who can't pronounce "you all" or "it is not" properly.
Thilu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
no it is really going downwards. the classic example is of course MTV, who used so air actual music and now it's just teen mom, 16 and pregnant and all that crap haha
Zazill Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't watch scheduled tv anymore, I think it started ever since survivor became prime time viewing. For sport I just go to the local bar. For reality tv I just wake up and go to work. I have seen glimpses now and then of how bad tv's become, beauty pageants for young kids, guides for building a man cave etc.
HopelessPandora Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
Higher level classes, extra classes, orchestra, and art keep me pretty busy so I don't do much reading anymore, but I was an avid reader up until middle school when life got busy, so my grammar and punctuation is pretty top of the line in comparison with some of my peers. However, reading books doesn't necessarily guarantee good grammar. I know many people who read a lot but are at the lower end of the stick in their English classes.
secretth Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
me too my classmates hate reading so much but i love to read ( it's very important in life ) [link]
JoeOiii Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
No way, I never read books because it's boring. I read articles on the internet, watch movies, play games, and listen to talk radio. Those are better ways to get information imo and don't make me want to fall asleep.
JoeOiii Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
oh yeah, except for comics because there's pictures, so that's fun!
IMDSound Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
That's not true! All my roommates read books daily and I know people who read a lot, and a lot more that would like to read but don't have the time! Reading keeps the mind sharp!
Pianocanival Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
I love to read!!! I try to read at least 10 books in a year. And I feel proud I have done it in the last 3 years. :iconholaplz:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Reading books is a duty to yourself.
BurningQuill Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Writer
Dear god, I hope that third line is an exaggeration.
But yes, I do like reading books, a whole lot in fact. I was heartbroken when the Barnes and Noble in my town closed.
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am afraid it isn't an exaggeration.
However, this statement was only to create arguement.
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artist
*Raises hand*

I prefer audio books or actual physical books. Reading online usually drives me nuts, depending on the formatting and contrast. I have no wish to get a kindle. And I know what it feels like when everyone around you seems to have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to a variety of subjects...
Mechanic-Geisha Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional General Artist
To be honest I'm pretty sure I would have loved reading if it wasn't for my schools screwing the whole experience over for me and associating it with a chore I hate the most

When I was in first class up untill fourth class every summer vacation we would get this ginormous list of books we had to read over the summer holidays and then we would have to write what every book was about in about 3 a4 pages in perfectly neat joint writing with no mistakes and it genuinely took most of my summers away as a kid and some nights where you will be trying to go through the pages speed reading not or skiping pages just to finish the book as soon as possible even tho in the end you havent got a clue about half of things that you just read so this was something that left a big print in my brain associating books with something I hate and that makes me bored.

Now I genuinely cannot even concentrate on reading a page in a book my brain just goes "boring,bring boring *procrastination mode on!*" and it didn't end up there when my family moved to Ireland when I was just starting 5th class I didn't have a good knowledge of English language and I was just left for an entire year most of the time just sitting there in the class and my teacher advised me to start reading books to learn the language so I have read the entire school library in that year and there was nothing that interested me either so it just turned into a big chore for me rather than something done for pleasure.

Me personally I believe reading books is not for everyone and if you don't read it isn't going to make you dumb what makes you dumb is not wanting to explore subjects your interested in and learn more ,but at the same time reading shouldn't be forced on you either. Because if you feel you "have to do it" rather than "you can do it if you like" it becomes a chore and nobody likes chores as for your comment about spellings in mobile texts well before we got free texts for a month to all mobiles in here when you pay x amount of cash at the start of the month you had to pay for each individual text and the more texts you send the more you would have to pay (common sense) and to be honest I have to admit yes we did type like that in messages ,but the reason was we would try to add as much information into one text as possible instead of spelling everything correctly and sending 3 texts in one go.It was more convenience thing and it just so happened that it caught on some people more than on the others.Also when we were in school when your siting in class and not allowed mobile phones to be on in class its faster to text "cya @fibz 7pm" than "see you at fitzboragh road at 7pm" it was just a convenience thing and I know some of my friends who still would text you back out of habbit in the crazy text language.

You know its easy to say oh they cant do this they cant do that it will make them dumb,but different people progress at learning at different levels and even tho reading and counting and spelling are the essential foundation skills of our future some people might have learning difficulties or dropped as a baby and might find these tasks more complex to do than you would find them ,then of course there are people who are just a special cases that are too lazy to do it,but its their own personal choice and why would you worry about them not being able to read words "Application form"??

My grandmother used to always have a saying "If you want to shit you will take your own pants down"

and it can apply to anything if say for example you were to apply for graphic design job tomorrow and it was your dream job just for arguments sake and you had to have experience in a program that you hate the most and can never work out how it works if you truly wanted it you would find a way how to make it work in no time just to get the job and that applies to any other subject in this world too. Willpower of a person is something that's ridiculously strong and in a lot of cases it makes nothing impossible.

Also basing total worlds school kids on all schools you've being to experience I'm sure it wont even make 1/10 of all the world schools and we cant for definately say all of the kids going to schools are going to be alike all over the world people are like snowflake you'll never find two that are alike and I know someone can turn around and say "we should be grateful for even being able to get an education",but the reality is that some of us we take what we have for granted until it is stripped from us and then we realize what we have lost.

The advice I can give you is stay strong and do what you believe in like if you believe books will make you more intelligent well then continue on reading,but never belittle people for their inability or lazyness to learn or do something let them learn from their own mistakes because its the only way they'll learn in the end.
boheen Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i'm with you! reading is important! and i like it :)
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
to be honest, I'm actually surprised this forum is still going
ragin227 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I've loved reading ever since I was little, my parents encouraged it. I never relized it was hard for some people, or that they didn't like it until I got older. Ad I suppose it is kind of sad, but not everyone it going to love reading. I would just appreciate not being called weird for liking it, that's kind of rude. On the other hand, I've always taken pride in being weird :D
DoctorStevehatten Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Professional General Artist
Maybe because reading is for nerds.
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
rather be a nerd than a dumbarse
DoctorStevehatten Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
The two aren't mutually exclusive.
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Just wanted to cause an arguement.
Thanks for committing to this outdated forum.
Retizent Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It just so happens that you are not the only one.:XD:
I love books and reading:reading: :heart:
twipplestoast Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Writer
I love reading. :la: Spelling though is my worst subject. You can give me the best program in the world and I'll still spell like a retard. Sad, but true.
saints-fan-12 Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Are you serious?! I love reading and every time when people catch me reading, they think i'm being unsocial or a "loner".
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I love books! :dummy:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   General Artist
I love reading... a lot of people look at me like I'm crazy when I say this and I feel slightly insecure.
Then I remember that I have a group of people who get excited to drive two hours just to go to a decent bookstore with me.

If people didn't like reading this forum wouldn't exist, websites about books wouldn't exist, kindle wouldn't exist... see my point?
Calkubo Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Congratulations! You made a forum topic! You are special! :iconclapplz:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If nobody did, then this forum would not have existed
13deadman Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012
I like reading. That includes novels, novellas, articles, essays, etc.
tokkiyokki Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love reading books when I actually find the time to go and pick one up. Sadly schoolwork and drawing take up the majority of my time though, and for some reason I'm stuck with the mindset that I'm "burning through a lot of time/wasting time" just sitting and reading. Don't get me wrong. I still love and enjoy curling up with a good book. Dunno why I think that -- probably my current necessary fast-pace life OTL
xJessie-chan Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love reading, and I notice the same in my environment, I love escaping the real world for a while and books help me do just that while enhancing my vocabulary :) Yay for reading!
Zoyra Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I actually love reading.
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Nope. You're the only one that likes books. That's why books keep getting turned into gigantic movie series that go for decades and have huge bloated budgets. Nobody here on the books forum likes books. You're the only one. They made the forum just for you.
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't know where Rome is, but I know locations of Middle Earth and Westland,Midlands,D'Hara are.

Epulson Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why losing your hope? I bet some of them are readers and quite knowledgeable. But I think it's actually because of high-end technology is easily accessible and Internet is great source of knowledge, so people tend to rely on it. Just do your thing and try to socialize more with them and encourage to read more! The simplest methods are often the most effective. Quest SOLVED and you gained +500 EXP.
Deizzan Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I have been reading for as long as I can remember. I will literally read almost anything I can get my hands on. For fiction I stick to fantasy, science fiction, comic books and graphic novels. For non-fiction I enjoy history (especially war history, American Civil War, WWI, WWII and Vietnam), science, Eastern Culture, and Philosophy (dunno if you can call this non-fiction, but I'm leaving it here). I also read news, blogs, online opinion pieces and I have always and will always read. I spent more time in the library than class when I was in school and it was the go-to place to find me if I wasn't where I was supposed to be.

I also saw something disturbing on these comments, specifically people who don't read because "it will eventually become a movie." That statement makes me absolutely nauseous. I cannot think of a single movie that has lived up to the book they were based off of. This isn't to say that some of these movies aren't good, I do enjoy them. They still pale in comparison to their books.
NeednKnow Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I think someone might have said this but... a few of my friends, they don't read 'cause these books are gonna become movies anyway. -.- And for the most part, I agree. Some of these books are translated straight into movies, which is wrong, because novels are told in a different way than movies (in my opinion), and so should be treated differently when converted to a different media (?).

And man, have you SEEN some of the books that are coming out? All these paranormals in YA, GEESH, can we MOVE ON. Of course, there are other genres, but I want to read a good YA (or something with college-aged students, and trust me, I've been checking those out, too).
declan2009supermega Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like to read! news, and comics offline and online, and scary stories online......although I am pretty sure you're referring specifically to novels, which I very rarely read :/ not because I think the medium as a whole is bad, just that the arn't many that appeal to me :iconshrugplz: also I think some of the fans turn me off reading any >_> with their obnoxious holier than thou attitude
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Quite true
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love reading books :)
I know quite a lot of people who like to read...
And yeah, it annoys me too, how people in my class can't spell properly and don't know anything about the classics etc. I mean, the movie comes out and they all rush to see the movie (like with The Hobbit) and don't care for the book.
sinisterwonderland Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There are people out there who don't read? :O i read a lot, as do most of the people i know... my sheltered grammar school existence -__-
Selimeia Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Writer

I'm totally crazy about books, no matter what genre, as long as they're good.

Some of my all-time favourites:

- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe
- The unbearable lightness (easiness? I don't know what the exact English title is...) of being
- Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- many, many more I just can't think of yet.

Books are amazing, aaaand I am a writer myself :nod:
hazeldazel Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I like books :) I work with the book sorters at the Red Cross every Thursday :D Quite often I read more than I sort though. I do the childrens' books.

I bought a few books from there;

~ Alice's adventures in Wonderland & through the looking glass
~ Fairy tails by Hans Anderson
~ Charlotte's web
~ Winnie the pooh

I also have;

~ The Harry Potter series
~ The Hobbit
~ Lord of the Rings trilogy book
~ Tales from Grimm
~ The Maximum Ride series
~ The saga of Darren Shan
~ The hunger games series
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love reading but I'm Mexican so:
- I had enough of informative books, I would like more literature not information.
- Getting good books is a bit hard (at least in my city)
- I hate Spanish but don't have the English vocabulary of an adult... yet
So I read comic books, a LOT of them about 5-6 a week 25 pages each one, not much but something is something.
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Quite so.
I prefer fiction over non-fiction
RookieOwl Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, it's relaxing letting the imagination fly you away from this world even when it's just for an hour
MichaelthePure Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True words
Add a Comment: