YA Fantasy With Romantic Twist- Recommendations?

I'm taking a writing class, specifically a romance writer's class, but my specialty area is sentient animal fantasy (think Lion King, Watership Down, Firebringer- the unicorn series, Ratha's Creature, etc) with a few special humans mixed in. Are there any YA Fantasy Romances people would suggest reading so I can see what's being published in that area today?

I'm supposed to be writing up my character sketches, histories and outline for the next lesson... I have my female lead char, her companion creatures, and a general idea... but no love interest figured in or even a completed plot idea yet (oog!) >.< So any advice would really be appreciated!

Lisa/irThumper
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Check out the Raksura series by Martha Wells. They aren't YA, basically only because they contain a little more "mature content" than could be considered appropriate for that age group, but only a little bit. The books deal with a species of shapeshifters which are a nice alternative to strictly animal or strictly human characters.
Thanks, I'll do that :)
Woah, you mentioned Watership Down. I absolutely love Watership Down, it is one of my favorite pieces of literature. :)
*Nabs!* :D It is my all time 100% beyond favorite-favorite book EVER! :love: :squee: That is so funny, heh, I can never get enough Watership Down, I must have about 5 copies of it-- heck I feel a fix coming on and for once I don't know where any of them are! :O_o::nuu:
Geh, I lost Watership Down when I moved from California. :XD: o_o Five copies, and you can't find any? You poor woman. :(
Ugh, that sucks! Yeah can you believe it!? Well, I do know where my hardcover edition is... but a mouse took a merry little dump on it while in storage and it has to be cleaned and disinfected :X:bleh:
Eck, Mice. Let's just say I have an annoyance with Mice, and I would just love to let the dogs at any that I see. XD. I understand though, I despise mice. You poor woman. :(
I know :eyepopping: I don't have anything against tame rodents by any means (looks at the hamsters I draw for instance, lol) but when it comes to wild mice and rats destroying things and leaving their calling cards everywhere... I'm not a fan :hmm:
Yeah, likewise. I like hamsters, or tame mice, but the wild things. Bleh... They're disgusting creatures. -_- And they smell so bad too...
View all replies
Guess not since my other just got locked, *sigh* :no:
Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver Trilogy. I think that could fit the bill there. :nod:
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out! :aww:
Wow, this sounds really good! [link] Thanks again! :D
Moved to Books/Comics as this is primarily a request for published literature.
Oog... ok... I reposted it differently so hope that's ok :blushes: