Closed to new replies
November 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Favorite book character tropes?

:iconslutty-artemis-fowl:
Slutty-Artemis-Fowl Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
What kind of characters do you like to see in the books you read? Do you strictly read female protagonists? Do you like it to have at least a little sci fi?

Post all that here! I like hearing about it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Antiheroes.
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I read quite a variety, mainly fantasy, sci-fi-ish books. I really enjoy seeing strong female characters (the most perfect example I can think of is Susan Sto-Helit [link], followed by Mitsuko Souma [link]) and rather laid-back funny characters (Nanny Ogg [link], Iggy [link], Ron Weasley). I'm also fond of smart and strange characters as I can relate well (Luna Lovegood).
I despise Mary Sues and all-backstory-no-personality characters (Bella Swan, half the cast of the Hunger Games) and although I'm not fond of sterotypical dumb girly girls, they can add to comedy (Karen Smith from Mean Girls is a good example, although she's not a book character)
:iconfixa:
Fixa Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My favourite character in any given story or specific plotline tends to be the smartest one around (therefore usually not the main Hero, unless it's a crime story). Like Ponder Stibbons or Faramír who, upon capturing Frodo proceeds to give him a pages-long lecture on the history of Gondor. What a bookworm. :)
It's also a good point if they are 'outsiders', but not in a 'Oh, woe be me, no one understands me because I'm sooo special!' kind of way. (I mean the likes of Frodo Baggins as opposed to, say, Bella Swann.)
And then there are the rare characters who fit both the criteria above, to some extent, plus they have a shipload of charisma. This kind of character is nearly always right when it comes to solving a problem, aren't afraid to get their hands dirty (again, to different degrees) and are generally used to tweaking the rules a bit to fit them. I'm talking about the likes of Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari and Sherlock Holmes.
Also, I appreciate if the author doesn't feel it absolutely neccesary to stuff a romance into the story.
:iconava-ire:
ava-ire Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
characters that are insufferable assholes and are incredibly controlling, but know exactly what they're doing, always entertain me, because the other characters have to put up with his/her crap and it's funny to see their reactions.
i love the manipulative type characters, as well as the seemingly-nice-and-mellow character that randomly and suddenly loses it, causing more crap for the others.
another character type that i like, is the one that knows from the beginning that a certain character is not good news, but isn't believed until the last minute when it's too late. the relationship between that character and the others is entertaining, but sometimes it makes me want to yell at the others and really gets me attached.
again, with that character type, it's even better when they're not academically smart, so people disregard their theories. it's great when they know something, but they can't back it up with reasoning because they don't know how to form it.
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I read whatever.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like characters to be unique, and have different sides to their personalities. I prefer characters who either live very unusual lives, have unusual personalities, or both. I really don't care for protagonists who are "average" people, meant for the reader to slip into his or her shoes. I like characters to very clearly be their own people, with their own beliefs and opinions, ones that the reader or even author may not necessarily agree with, but can understand.

Character cliches I love include:
The swash-bucking outlaw
The half-crazed old witch/wizard
The crafty black-market dealer
Anyone artsy-fartsy
Over-the-top villains (for comedy)
Corrupt and/or stupid law enforcement (everything from Captain Louie Renault from "Casablanca" to Officer Barbrady from "South Park.")
Princesses (blame Disney for that)
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I like books that have a variety of characters. I read both male and female protagonist books, but the genera doesn't really matter to me as long as the book is well written.
Add a Comment: