Books that make you cry?

I balled my eyes out at "The Fault In Our Stars" and recently,
and surprisingly cried at the end of "Exit The Actress".

What are some books that have brought on the tears for you?
What element do you think makes people cry while reading a book?
Comments151
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
i don't really cry at books, but the kite runner had some sad moments in it

i was gonna recommend TFIOS but then i saw you'd read it
I have heard good things about the kite runner, maybe I should pick it up.
But yes, TFiOS is one of my favorites by far.
i highly recommend it, i read it for English lit last year, ended up reading it quite a few times
same
Bridge to Terabithia made me cry back before my heart and soul turned into a black void of nothingness from puberty.
Now that I am thinking about it, I have yet to find a book that has made me cry yet. This is weird because there are quite a few movies that can make me tear up. Looks like I need to add a sad book to the reading list.
Haha I recommend the fault in our starts. Its a guarantee that you'll cry like a baby
|: cried my eyes out reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary...actually a lot of his books make me all feely.
I have yet to read a Stephen King book. But I did buy "full dark no stars" a while ago.
I have yet to read Full dark no stars, but Stephens older work is his best in my opinion. :)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy made me tear up real bad several times.
I cried when i read the Book Thief, Modoc, and Flowers for Alberman(?) and almost cried when i first read crookedstars promise
plague dogs by richard adams [link]
One Small Step by Reginald Hill. Bizarre as it is, because it isn't a very tragic novella, I loved the little prologue he had with his characters, Dalziel and Pascoe, and the thought of what would happen should he die before ever getting to a point where the series has an end. It certainly got me a little teary eyed. Thief of Always by Clive Barker got me a little sad at the end as well.
I usually cry when I associate the characters in a novel with my own Novel Characters (yes I am writing a novel) and when the ending shows that life is not fair at all. :(
My Sister's Keeper
The ending to Watership Down made me tear up a little.
The Quiet American got to me. Beautiful story.
Mockingjay made me bawl. Also the host. I cry a little usually when a book is over :(
Mockingjay! yes I cried so hard when prim died
UGHHHHHHHHH. don't even.. UGHGDJWEHDGEH. so many feelings :nod: now I need to read them again :')
I cried my ass off in Mockinjay, and maybe shed a tear in some parts of the Harry Potter books... into the wild is quite sad too ^^
Oh yeah, Mockingjay is quite tragic! I agree with that.
Some parts in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Some parts of A Song of Ice and Fire make me WANT to cry lol, but out of frustration or glee.
The Book Thief and Ender's Game made me cry.