Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 49

Is there a gender bias in science fiction, and should it continue?

:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
We don't want the little woman to sprain an ankle at the wrong time, do we?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnsanelilmunky:
nsanelilmunky Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you know where to look you can usually find a few strong female characters, but I don't think it's very even.

Series/movies/books/etc to look up:

Firefly (and Serenity)
Anne McCaffrey's books
Sara Conner Chronicles (or Terminator also)
X Files
Dr Who
5th Element
Alien

There's also strong women in Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galatica etc but are usually more support than main character I believe (don't know for all of them as I haven't seen all of them).
:iconoxfordtweed:
OxfordTweed Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
There's totally an imbalance. Sci-fi has the same problem as fantasy: it started off as the pass-time of white, upper-class British men, so now Sci-fi is predominantly white dudes in space, fighting monsters. Just like fantasy is white dudes in the woods, fighting monsters.

You get women in both, but with very few exceptions, they're a supporting role. The problem is that production companies think that it's not believable for a woman to want to do anything but talk about men. But I guess this is what happens when the heads of the companies are all men as well.
:iconmoxiee:
moxiee Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
What do you want them to be like?
carusmm Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Women?
There are women in Scifi. There strong female characters just like there weak male characters.
Sex bomb, sex bomb, I want to be a sex bomb.
:O
:iconanatarakentara:
AnataraKentara Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Get more female writers.

Done.
That's not the solution, would it harm the genre to change of its own volition? Most science fiction is so immature, it's unbearable. I am a lover of a good story and human beings make a good story.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'd say yes, there is most definitely a gender imbalance in sci-fi, as most sci-fi writers are men. Now to be fair, many if not most modern sci-fi books have plenty of strong female characters. But the prominent ones are almost always gorgeous looking and "sexy," which gets annoying after a while.

HOWEVER, is it fair to tell male writers to stop writing male protagonists they relate to, and female sidekicks who are their fantasy babes? When female writers often if not usually do the same thing, just in gender-reverse? I'm not sure it is. I think people should write what they want to. The gender imbalance isn't a good thing, but it's not necessarily the fault of the people currently writing; it's caused by the people NOT writing. If women want more woman-friendly sci-fi, we should write more of it ourselves (and I plan to :)).

All that being said, people of both sexes should try to write protagonists of the opposite sex who *aren't* just their wet fantasies. (I'm looking at you, Stephanie Meyer.)
Add a Comment: