Ever actually like a book you read for English Class?

We all know how english class is in high school or college. OFtentimes you get boring stuff you dislike and you're not allowed to criticize the books at all because it's art and if you don't like it, it's because you "don't get it".

However, ever have instances where what you read was actually kind of fun or engaging?

For me, the stuff I liked was:

-Dear Mr. Henshaw
Read it in 4th grade. We all thought it was pretty good, and I happen to remember how many times wer were laughing at the part with "Deliver de letter de sooner de better de later de letter de madder I getter."

-Tuck Everlasting
My 5th grade teacher was pretty good. She wanted to assign us books that we wanted to read or that sounded interesting This was one of those rare books that got a 100% approval rating. XD we once actually stayed in from recess because we wanted to hear the next chapter.

-Westing Game
5th grade again. We were learning about mystery, and we actually wanted to read this one because it sounded interesting.

-Downriver (I think that's what it's called)
8th grade this time. This was pretty interesting, it's a book about a group of teens in some kind of teen-rehab program (think like for juvenile delinquents) who steal a boat and decide to raft down the Grand Canyon. They don't make it, but it was still a fun read.

-The Odyssey
It was pretty much my kind of book, really. I read it in 9th grade.

-Secret Life of Bees
This was an unusual one. I read it in 11th grade. I thought "oh man this is gonna be dull" but it was actually quite interesting. I thought the plot was really good. *shrugs* hard to say why, it was a surprising like.

-Solaris
LEt's just say this...if it weren't for this college course I never would have found this.

-Roadside Picnic
Same as above - I didn't even know it inspired STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

-The City & The City
Yep, same as above lol. It's really really intriguing, about two cities that occupy the same space.

-Oryx and Crake
Well, I might have read this one if I found out what it was about. Yes, I'm in a college class...that's having us read speculative fiction novels. My professor is really really awesome, and they're keeping an open mind about it. Yeah, hard to believe, no?
Comments201
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The Outsiders, and Tuck Everlasting.
for me 1984 was great. also a book called brother in the land about some dude who has to protect his family and gf after theres a nuclear war and everythings blown up. was depressing as fuck, only time a books made me cry actually
The Outsiders, Among the Hidden, The Transall Saga and The Tripods series were the best ones my teachers made us read.
The only one i enjoyed was The Outsiders.

-CC12
"Among the Hidden" by Margaret Peterson Haddix (I own three copies. 83)
I'm reading "Of Mice and Men" right now in English.
Other than that, I haven't liked any of them.
omg, i had to read the westing game in middle school, it was awesome!

i also read and liked:

the giver [link]

the girl who owned a city [link]

lord of the flies [link]
The only book I read for school that I actually enjoyed was Lord of the Flies. I was lucky in that I had a good teacher who was unbelievably helpful in explaining all the symbolism without making us over-analyze the book to death.
the road by cormac mccarthy was interesting, but the rest of the class thought it was depressing
I would just like to say (going to rant a bit), although the book we were forced to read, let's say 50% were boring, I'm glald i read them! They are defintely good pieces of literature with lessons. These days books such as the Hunger Games, Twilight, and Harry Potter are on the lists and I'm sorry, I think that is just ridiculous. There's a reason we learn the classics - to study what makes literature great. Not just popular stories of our generation. Ug.

I loved a lot. Scarlet Letter, The Awakening, Rebecca, Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, etc.
Green angel. Small book but loved it.
I loved Romeo and Juliet. I'm in high school and still have many books to read and dont have enough to really like much :P
The Outsiders by S.E Hinton :) It was the only book I didn't really skim through
I don't remember any interesting book in my mother tongue, Spanish, but I since I started studying foreign languages I have come across some good ones. I especially loved "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (Edward Albee), "Doctor Faustus" (Christopher Marlowe) and "The Rattle Bag" (Seamus Heaney & Ted Hughes) from English class. Maybe a two plays by Shakespeare, but I don't really like his style very much.
We read Of Mice and Men for English Lit. class and it remains one of my favourite books to this day, even after having to read it through dozens of times
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
Yeah man. The Naked Lunch and As I Lay Dying.
The only one I can think of is Flowers for Algernon, which I'm pretty sure I read in middle school rather than high school. So I guess the answer is no. XD
Hm, well my English teacher a couple of years ago used to give random people books to read, and once he gave me a book called The Purple Plain, IIRC. I enjoyed it.
I quite liked "The Lottery" can't remember the author though. I read it in.. well now it gets tricky because the school system is not the same but when I was fifteen
I also enjoyed "The Smell of Apples", I read it last autumn.
hm... I was very keen on "How to kill a mockinbird", when i was twelve or something like that. And also "into the wild", even though I don't know how old I was when I read it. Currently reading "About a boy" in class and well so far it is good although I think the movie is terrible but well, never judge a book by its movie ^^
The Outsiders, absolutely positively loved it! I also feel the need to include the book I hated most... Heart of Darkness -_-
It was way back in primary school but we once did a project on Treasure Island. It was and still is one of my all time favourite stories.
I never love anything forced onto me by hairy lesbians.
Actually, I have liked a book that I had read in English Class. The book stated is by George Orwell, who I don't know you know his books but you probably know his name. The book that it is is called "Animal Farm"

8th grade I also read The Giver by Lois Lowry, which is also a really good book.
Frankenstein changed my life. Amazing.