Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 200

Ever actually like a book you read for English Class?

:iconherbaldrink:
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
We all know how english class is in high school or college. OFtentimes you get boring stuff you dislike and you're not allowed to criticize the books at all because it's art and if you don't like it, it's because you "don't get it".

However, ever have instances where what you read was actually kind of fun or engaging?

For me, the stuff I liked was:

-Dear Mr. Henshaw
Read it in 4th grade. We all thought it was pretty good, and I happen to remember how many times wer were laughing at the part with "Deliver de letter de sooner de better de later de letter de madder I getter."

-Tuck Everlasting
My 5th grade teacher was pretty good. She wanted to assign us books that we wanted to read or that sounded interesting This was one of those rare books that got a 100% approval rating. XD we once actually stayed in from recess because we wanted to hear the next chapter.

-Westing Game
5th grade again. We were learning about mystery, and we actually wanted to read this one because it sounded interesting.

-Downriver (I think that's what it's called)
8th grade this time. This was pretty interesting, it's a book about a group of teens in some kind of teen-rehab program (think like for juvenile delinquents) who steal a boat and decide to raft down the Grand Canyon. They don't make it, but it was still a fun read.

-The Odyssey
It was pretty much my kind of book, really. I read it in 9th grade.

-Secret Life of Bees
This was an unusual one. I read it in 11th grade. I thought "oh man this is gonna be dull" but it was actually quite interesting. I thought the plot was really good. *shrugs* hard to say why, it was a surprising like.

-Solaris
LEt's just say this...if it weren't for this college course I never would have found this.

-Roadside Picnic
Same as above - I didn't even know it inspired STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

-The City & The City
Yep, same as above lol. It's really really intriguing, about two cities that occupy the same space.

-Oryx and Crake
Well, I might have read this one if I found out what it was about. Yes, I'm in a college class...that's having us read speculative fiction novels. My professor is really really awesome, and they're keeping an open mind about it. Yeah, hard to believe, no?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconserioussillyness:
SeriousSillyness Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Student Digital Artist
The Outsiders, and Tuck Everlasting.
:iconiwanttofuckingdie:
iwanttofuckingdie Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
for me 1984 was great. also a book called brother in the land about some dude who has to protect his family and gf after theres a nuclear war and everythings blown up. was depressing as fuck, only time a books made me cry actually
:iconkagamika:
Kagamika Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Outsiders, Among the Hidden, The Transall Saga and The Tripods series were the best ones my teachers made us read.
:iconcrazycartoonist12:
Crazycartoonist12 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Filmographer
The only one i enjoyed was The Outsiders.

-CC12
:iconmidnightvalor:
MidnightValor Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
"Among the Hidden" by Margaret Peterson Haddix (I own three copies. 83)
I'm reading "Of Mice and Men" right now in English.
Other than that, I haven't liked any of them.
:iconblackrabbit98:
Blackrabbit98 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
omg, i had to read the westing game in middle school, it was awesome!

i also read and liked:

the giver [link]

the girl who owned a city [link]

lord of the flies [link]
:iconkersnuffle:
kersnuffle Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
The only book I read for school that I actually enjoyed was Lord of the Flies. I was lucky in that I had a good teacher who was unbelievably helpful in explaining all the symbolism without making us over-analyze the book to death.
:iconbitbee:
bitBEE Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
the road by cormac mccarthy was interesting, but the rest of the class thought it was depressing
:iconcarolynalane:
carolynalane Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I would just like to say (going to rant a bit), although the book we were forced to read, let's say 50% were boring, I'm glald i read them! They are defintely good pieces of literature with lessons. These days books such as the Hunger Games, Twilight, and Harry Potter are on the lists and I'm sorry, I think that is just ridiculous. There's a reason we learn the classics - to study what makes literature great. Not just popular stories of our generation. Ug.

I loved a lot. Scarlet Letter, The Awakening, Rebecca, Shakespeare, To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, etc.
:iconfruitsofharvest:
FruitsOfHarvest Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Green angel. Small book but loved it.
:iconmystory557:
Mystory557 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I loved Romeo and Juliet. I'm in high school and still have many books to read and dont have enough to really like much :P
:iconmadaldoll:
madaldoll Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
The Outsiders by S.E Hinton :) It was the only book I didn't really skim through
:iconvitruvian-girl:
Vitruvian-girl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't remember any interesting book in my mother tongue, Spanish, but I since I started studying foreign languages I have come across some good ones. I especially loved "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (Edward Albee), "Doctor Faustus" (Christopher Marlowe) and "The Rattle Bag" (Seamus Heaney & Ted Hughes) from English class. Maybe a two plays by Shakespeare, but I don't really like his style very much.
:iconarabesque91:
Arabesque91 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We read Of Mice and Men for English Lit. class and it remains one of my favourite books to this day, even after having to read it through dozens of times
:iconrocketslugrockscp:
rocketslugrockscp Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
:iconmeinesehnsucht:
MeineSehnsucht Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013   Writer
Yeah man. The Naked Lunch and As I Lay Dying.
:iconslightlywinged:
SlightlyWinged Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The only one I can think of is Flowers for Algernon, which I'm pretty sure I read in middle school rather than high school. So I guess the answer is no. XD
:icontake-over-world:
Take-Over-World Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Hm, well my English teacher a couple of years ago used to give random people books to read, and once he gave me a book called The Purple Plain, IIRC. I enjoyed it.
:iconthilu:
Thilu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I quite liked "The Lottery" can't remember the author though. I read it in.. well now it gets tricky because the school system is not the same but when I was fifteen
I also enjoyed "The Smell of Apples", I read it last autumn.
hm... I was very keen on "How to kill a mockinbird", when i was twelve or something like that. And also "into the wild", even though I don't know how old I was when I read it. Currently reading "About a boy" in class and well so far it is good although I think the movie is terrible but well, never judge a book by its movie ^^
:iconabsolutelyridiculous:
AbsolutelyRidiculous Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Outsiders, absolutely positively loved it! I also feel the need to include the book I hated most... Heart of Darkness -_-
:iconstarrypawz:
starrypawz Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It was way back in primary school but we once did a project on Treasure Island. It was and still is one of my all time favourite stories.
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I never love anything forced onto me by hairy lesbians.
:iconheontris:
Heontris Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Actually, I have liked a book that I had read in English Class. The book stated is by George Orwell, who I don't know you know his books but you probably know his name. The book that it is is called "Animal Farm"

8th grade I also read The Giver by Lois Lowry, which is also a really good book.
:iconcactusskate:
CactussKate Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Frankenstein changed my life. Amazing.
:iconrequiemthefallen:
Requiemthefallen Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
Herodotus Histories -- Despite one specific chapter of the book's odd focus on excrements of the body, it's rather entertaining.

The Scarlett Letter -- I just liked it *shrugs*

Plato's Republic -- Beats listening to Aristotle drone on like a tired old git.

The Giver -- Hey, a Christian soft sci-fi book that doesn't beat you over the head at all with the fact that it's Christian. In fact, I only got a few hints and decided to look up afterward. It's got a great story about a cult, dealing with one's feelings, and becoming more than what you were raised to be.

To Kill a Mocking Bird -- I also like the old black and white movie.

The Canterbury Tales -- Okay, a few of the tales suck, but some are hillarious.

Taming The Shrew -- Petruchio is such an asshat

I know I liked more than these... but these are the first that come to mind. I know the one I hated most though: The Red Badge of Courage. Oh my gosh it was so horrible that I tried to just endure the 100 minute long movie and I still wanted to just yell "IT BURNS" from how badly written it was. Just... it was horrible. I will never make anyone else endure that horrid piece of crap that some call a piece of literature.
:iconshadowofdarkandlite:
ShadowOfDarkAndLite Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The Hunger games. Most interesting and awesome book ever.
:icontheartofcbyoung:
TheArtOfCBYoung Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I swear that the English teachers in the schools that I went to got together and picked the most boring books they could find as required reading. I don't remember liking a single one of the books I was required to read in high school.
I liked Julius Ceaser and Macbeth. I guess I wouldn't have minded Romeo and Juliette, but the way it was taught bothered me. It's not a fracking romance novel, it's a tragedy about a 13 year old falling for a 17 year old that spans three days and leaves 5 people dead. That is not romantic.

College was a different story. What a difference it makes when the professor seems to care whether or not students are interested--even when the book itself isn't all that interesting, but they find things in it that can make it interesting. Let's face it, no kid wants to sit through an hour of "and if you notice in this paragraph, there is another example of an alliteration.

For my English Elective I took a class called science fiction, fantasy, and fact. We read Frankenstein, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Time Machiene, Snow Crash, and Neuromancer. Bit of a heavy load for one semester, but I pretty much loved all of it.
:iconjseriesx7:
JSeriesx7 Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Writer
I liked..

Lord of the Flies
Speak
and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrns
:iconboheen:
boheen Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In my last year we had dystopian science fiction books, and i LOVE this topic! soooo we read brave new world and i really liked it! :D
:iconvrcooke:
VRCooke Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I actually enjoyed quite a few books I had to read for English class (not counting the ones we chose for ourselves for book reports like in elementary). The only ones I could see myself possibly looking through again though might be Catch-22 or Slaughterhouse Five. I hated Wuthering Heights. Just thought I should put that out there.
:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   General Artist
I hated almost every book I had to read in school... but for example To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books now since I read it again after high school. So I can't quite say any book from school was my favorite :hmm:
:iconramuramu:
ramuramu Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
For me I guess it wouldn't be called English class, but rather Danish class. :'D
I remember two books that I've liked so far, where the first of them are Kopierne ("The Copies") and the other one Ægte Brøker (Uhmm.. "Proper Fractions"..?). Both of them are by Jesper Wung Sung.
Im not exactly sure why I liked them, but they were very well written and interesting~
I'm gonna start reading Forsømt Forår (.."Neglected Spring", if you can say that. xD) later today, and hopefully that one will be good.. Or at least not utterly boring. :p
:iconmegarello:
Megarello Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I actually really liked The Last Book In The Universe by Rodman Philbrick. Alternately, Tangerine by Edward Bloor wound up being the book I refer to as my least favorite on the planet.
:iconjulietcaesar:
julietcaesar Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I loved all the Shakespeare plays that I was set through high school- Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Othello, Hamlet. Well, maybe not as much R&J, but I still thought that was decent.

Frankenstein, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Odyssey, Mrs Dalloway, Wuthering Heights count as books taught by school which I also enjoyed. Probably unlike most people in school, I had a very high love: hate ratio of the books that were set- I think I only disliked like one or two texts set by school out of the thirty odd texts I've been set.
:iconrunespainter:
RunesPainter Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Into the Wild
:iconsatanic-kurloz:
Satanic-Kurloz Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I really liked "the outsiders" and "the pearl"!
None of my friends liked the pearl, but i really liked it. such a tragic ending :(
the outsiders brings back so many memories from 7th grade. It was THE book back then.
:iconkittylevin:
KittyLevin Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like pretty much everything I've ever read in English class (with the exception of "Heart of Darkness") but here's the best example.

In 8th grade we read "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress", and I was upset because I tried very hard to make the other kids appreciate what I still think is an excellent novel (about the plight of intellectuals during Mao's cultural revolution), but all they got out of it was, "lol ballsack!"
:iconmajigoma:
majigoma Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We read Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. I simply loved the dialogues between Beatrice and Benedick.
And we read some short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, which are really great.
In our final exam we were to choose between 2 tasks and one of them was an extract of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream which I also really liked.

But we did not read many books since I'm from Germany so we mainly read German books.
However, in my free-time I also read A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. :)
:iconimdsound:
IMDSound Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
The Great Gatsy
Brave New World
The Outsiders
The Hatchet
:iconmidnightmagnificent:
MidNightMagnificent Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I did Susan Hill's I'm The King Of The Castle for Lit. Loved it so much I went on to look for and read The Woman In Black from the same author, which lead to much disappointment with the Hollywood adaptation. Naturally.
:iconebolabears:
EbolaBears Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Brave New World
Animal Farm

I read them all in grade school and then in English in HS.
:iconruelariat:
ruelariat Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Watership Down, Into Thin Air, Scarlet Letter, The Odyssey, Macbeth, A Rose for Emily, The Fall of the House of Usher, One Day in the of Life of Ivan Denisovich, The Trial, Canterbury Tales, The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Yeah...My english 4 teacher is awful but my english 3 teacher was amazing and we read so many things in her class.
:iconkikivons:
KiKivons Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Artist
OMG Dear Mr. Henshaw was my favorite! I read it in 4th grade as well. I still have the physical copy from when i was in the class ('99), it's falling apart and all marked up, but i did love that book. the school was going to throw them away and so i was able to take one.

Julie of the Wolves was another. I didn't like it when i read it the first time i read it, but i later learned to love it.

I also read secret life of Bees in the 11th grade, and once the film came out me and my friends from class went to see it.

When I was in high school we read a bunch of plays, and out of those i liked: Antigone, The Crucible, Macbeth, and the Odyssey.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
I liked the Crucible, Hatchet, The Great Gatsby and many others.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I thought the Crucible was good.

I just got tired of it cause we had to read it three. Effin. times. in different classes. x_X
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student General Artist
Omg that's how I felt about Moulin Rouge. I watched it so much in school I now despise it lol
:iconmania-kitten:
Mania-Kitten Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I really enjoyed reading the Giver and The Scarlet Letter. I loved The Catcher in the Rye and Dante's Inferno as well but even though some schools read those, mine didn't and I read them on my own.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
The Hobbit (8th grade IIRC), 1984 (11th or 12th grade, I forget which), Heart of Darkness (Intro to Modern Literature), and anything by Shakespeare (9th-12th grades)

Most disliked: anything by T. S. Elliot (12th grade, Intro to Modern Literature), The Outsiders (8th grade), and Mrs. Dalloway, The Hours, and Beloved (All from Intro to Modern Lit)
:iconthe-vibeke:
The-Vibeke Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
I hated all the ones we were forced to read in school.

EXCEPT for Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. But I mean, it's Shakespeare.

Everything else was complete CRAP. It's like these books are only so famous because of how old they are.
HerbalDrink Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Some of them are. Or because enough people liked them to preserve them.

Only reason a lot of classics are around now is because enough people liked them either immediately or a few years later to feel the need to preserve them.
Add a Comment: