Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Battle Royale

:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Just finished the book last night and I swear it is one of the best books I've ever read! So much suspense, plot twists and an excellent Professor Layton-esque ending. (don't ask me why I associated those two, it's a long story) So basically, this is a small discussion for fellow BR fans.

For any strangers who are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, Battle Royale is a book incredibly similar to The Hunger Games, but in my opinion it makes the HG look like a Barbie Adventures book. It's set in Japan, and a 3rd year/ Grade 9/ Year 9 class are all taken away to a little island to fight to the death, as a sadistic program set up by their fascist government. I would go into more detail but it's very easy to give away spoilers. It contains a lot of action, violence, plot spins, good character development, and has a somewhat heartwarming ending (:iconidklolplz:).

So, if you've read it before, what are your opinions? Favourite/least favourite character? Favourite scene? Views on the movie adaption?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconurge:
urge Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I saw the film, and I agree, the Hunger Games do seem like child play next to it.
:iconthecobaltocean:
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've seen the film (What bits I could /Can't stand gore) and read the manga - The manga is better I'd say, but the most bad ass people have to be Shogo Kawada and Kazuo Kiriyama - The man's a demon :D
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
There's a manga? Must investigate!
I know, those two are badass. The bit where Shogo passed away for Shuya and Noriko's sake made me cry.
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep, it's awesome but graphic :D

Aye, Shogo and his shotgun :D

That was sad :(
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh and Hirako was a badass :D
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
*Shinji, Shinji Mimura - Was thinking of Hirako Shinji from Bleach then :D
:iconlil-muse:
Lil-Muse Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I love that book! Picking a favorite character is really hard, Shuya, Noriko, Kawada, and the hackers are all so great :)

The movie was really well done. It helped to solidify the images I had in my head after reading the book, instead of destroy them like most movies do.

I definitely agree with what you said about Hunger Games becoming really childish after reading this. In middle school my friend and I were the only people I knew who weren't Hunger Games fans, thanks to this book. We tried to spread it around, but it didn't work =P
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like Shuya's little group a lot but I preferred Mitsuko, she makes a great "villian". I also loved Hiroki and Sho and Toshinori made me laugh :)

I thought the film was only just OK. It's really hard to fit in all the excellent backstories and sub-plots into the film so it just seems like kill after kill but I agree with you, it did do some justice to my fairly vague mental images (Well, I've never seen someone get shot before, how do you expect me to properly visualise it? :P).

I'm with you on that my friend. I read the Hunger Games a year and a bit ago and loved it. Then it became a film which was rather good aside from the annoying shaky camera and the lack of Madge. Then it became a craze which made my love for the book diminish. Then I read Battle Royale and realised that the Hunger Games is a load of rubbish in comparison, so THG is now just ok.
:iconlil-muse:
Lil-Muse Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Yeah Mitsuko is an awesome villain, and Hiroki was a really sweet guy, I felt so bad for him :(
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I know, I felt dead sorry for him when he found Takako dying. I liked Takako too, I loved her sarcastic, strong attitude when she was being threatened by Kazushi.
Add a Comment: