Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Teen fiction books

:iconpearl-otter:
pearl-otter Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I'm currently studying to become an English teacher and I was wondering teen books are you guys into? By teen books I mean for ages 12 to 18. I tend to read adult books so when it comes to teen fiction I don't know where to start.

Even if you don't read many books, what kind of topics would you like to read about? What would you recommend to other teens to read?

Is there any book you have read that you really think other should read? Give a little motivation if you like.

I need to read at least 4 teen fiction books for the course I'm doing so I'd greatly appreciate any books you could recommend for me to read.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I'd especially recommend two classics: Queenie Peavy by Robert Burch and The Pushcart War by Jean Merrill. They are both specific to their eras but don't feel dated. The former deals with the gritty life in Atlanta, Georgia during the depression, and the latter is set in NYC in the 1970s or thereabouts (and oddly, the events in it sort of came true under the Giuliani administration!)...
:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
i would recommend the Animorph series.

The Animorph Andalite Chronicles is particularly good.
:iconmangagirl1603:
mangagirl1603 Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am a fan of the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. The age group is quite awkward, it's classed as an adults' book for it's quite complex vocabulary but it's perfectly appropriate for teens (apart from the occasional use of the word bugger). It's a massive comedy fantasy set made up of stand alone novels that are all set in a made up parallel world that sits on a turtle and four elephants. There are little subseries in the set (eg. The Ankh Morpork police series, the Witches series, the Death series etc.) but that's less important.
Because there are 40 odd books in the set, I'll recommend some good starting off ones:

The Colour of Magic(1st book in series, natural starting point, not that good though...)
Wyrd Sisters (a loose parody of MacBeth, excellent wee story)
Night Watch (I've heard this one was heavily based on Les Miserables)
Hogfather (most famous, best in my opinion! Absolutely hilarious and such a great plot!)
Going Postal (another famous one)

I really hope that this helps.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking Trilogy.
Neal Shusterman's Unwind.

The latter may be good for you. It's not that long and is pretty intriguing. :nod:
:iconeuterpe-the-egret:
Euterpe-The-Egret Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The Giver series by Lowis Lowery is pretty good.

So is the Cyber Chronicles (not sure if it is for teen readers but it is appropriate and not hard to read)

Graveminder by Melissa Marr.

The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner is excellent. As is the Gemma Doyle Trillogy by Libba Bray.

The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer was a good debate starter amung friends.

Something Wicked this Way Comes By Ray Bradburry as well as Farenhight 451 are pretty great. (but I really enjoy all of his stuff)

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut was a good read in English class in High School.

Anything by Niel Gaiman is fantastic.

The Keys to the Kingdom series as well as the Seven tower series by Garth Nix are both amazing.

The Delierium series by Lauren Oliver is about a society that rejects love and believes it is a disease. That is an interesting one. It goes right along with the Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins but is far less violent.

The Last Book in the universe by Rodman Philbrick and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak are both really lovely.

I loved the Forest of hands and teeth series by Carrie Ryan but that was a pretty extreme zombie series so I'm not sure if you want that.

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer talks about what it means to be human and human rights in a world that has clones and humans coexisting.

The Black Tattoo by Sam Enthoven was something that inspired me as a kid as did The Folk Keeper bt Franny Billingsley.

Feed by MT Anderson is pretty popular among teens.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, and A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner were top hits for our class in High School (junior and senior year) Sylvia Plath's Bell Jar (as well as other poetry and her Journal) is fantastic.

I hope this list isn't too long. If you want more information on any of these books I can give you additional information. :D
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You'd be better off getting adult books that are appropriate for teens. In my experience, very few people actually like teen books.
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
such as young adult? i think "teen fiction" is a bit childish in its writing
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
No, more like actual adult novels, that have themes that are okay with that age.

For example, Dracula instead of Twilight. (though, I don't know if I'd recommend Dracula, it was just the first vampire novel I could think of.)
:icongreen-eyedtiger:
Green-EyedTiger Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
there are tons that are better than than twilight. i think bram stoker's dracula wouldn't be that appropriate for teens. but if one looked, there should be plenty of good ones
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Theme wise, I don't think it'd be too bad, seeing as my drama class read both Lystistra (women withhold sex to stop men from going to war) and Odepius rex (a man unknowingly has sex with his mother.)

But I think dracula is a bad choice because it's uninteresting :shrug:
Add a Comment: