Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

dark fairy tales?

:icondeathlee28:
DeathLee28 Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Has anyone noticed how some fairy tales are darker then their movie counterparts?
Let's look at Pinocchio as a example
In the book, Pinocchio kills the cricket with a mallet in Chapter IV i believe, i'm not entirely sure, so please feel free to correct me.
In the film Pinocchio is just given a happy go lucky type of guy personality, whereas in the book he was portrayed as a stubborn and ungrateful misfit who wrecked havoc (and kicked Geppetto) oh Geppetto gets thrown in jail and Pinocchio didn't care what a wonderful son :D
Remember Honest John and that cat who followed him around?
Well in the book Honest John pretends to be ...stupid and the cat pretends to be blind (again feel free to correct me i don't remember much and its been a while since i read this book)
i understand there is more differences between the book and film but these are the only ones i remember by heart.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconlightmypassage:
LightMyPassage Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not that I consider the Hunchback of the Notre Dame a fairy tale, but even if you read the synopsis, it's not at all a sweet, childproof story. It's about sex, violence, racism and prosecution, and eventually Esmeralda dies horribly, and her body discarded when Quasimodo lies down next to her and dies as well. When they're later found, they try to extricate the two bodies, but then Quasimodo's crumbles.
That part would be fit for a fairytale, but it's kind of dark either way.
DeathLee28 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
must read it D:
:iconnenril-tf:
Nenril-Tf Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
you have just discover hot water...just read Grimm's fairy tales and you will really understand how dark they are, but it is only a thing about the period they were written, so nothing so shocked...and i suggest you to read pinocchio because it is not so an horrible son as you described him...
ok and i promise you that i will continue to read Pinocchio (i think i was on Chapter XXV last time i read it)
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Read "Faithful John," "The Robber Bride-Groom," and especially "The Almond Tree." Three Grimm's fairy tales that never made it onto mainstream TV!
ok i will thank you for suggesting these ^_^
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Digital Artist
Well duh, disney.
Add a Comment: