November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Literary trends!

:iconmaddalinamocanu:
MaddalinaMocanu Nov 3, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I've been asking myself this for some time:

What literary trends have there been in the last 10-20 years?

I know these examples:

1. Harry Potter spurred a tone of novels revolved around magic. (between 2000 and 2003)
2. The Lord of the Rings(the movie) was the starting point for fantasy novels >>> continued afterwards with the massive, undeserved attention Eragon had. (2003-2005)
3. Memoirs of a Geisha (the movie) started the "geisha" movement.
and last but not least.(2005-2008)
4. Twilight Series began the "vampire craze" >.> (I am not saying anything about the Vampire Journals those came 17 years before Twilight. (Heck they are as old as I am). (2008-2012)

But seriously now... Most of these books are fame worthy (except Eragon and Twilight ofc).
What do you think will be the next literary trend? If there is a new trend, what is it?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondenzelajackson:
DenzelAJackson Nov 11, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
its difficult to predict that, but maybe it will space cowboys, i think that would be cool. question for you: do you think these trends are a good thing, or do you feel it somewhat holds back really new ideas?

and, good question:)
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Angel and demon centered books have been rising in trends, I think the possibility might be because of Cassandra Clare? :confused:
:iconradiantserenechaos:
Zombies seem to be trending in general pop culture, but I'm not sure if that will transfer into literature.
I've been seeing more alternate history recently, like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, and steampunk in general. So maybe alternate history (especially Victorian based ones) are trending?
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Robots.
MaddalinaMocanu Nov 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Meh, Asimov was so last season :/
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
He's coming back again in a fashion.
:iconshabazik:
Shabazik Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist
I think the next literaly trend will be the Late of the 40 towers, and other novels of that Romanian author. I think it was Madd? Maddie? Maddah?

Arh, something like that. Surely you know her. She even have a dA account! And is quite nice, as well! XD

Really I don't know about future literary trends. If we guide ourselves with hollywood, it could be a renewed interest in Zombies. The question would be: can that be turned into literacy? I doubt it.

Maybe you should add as well to your list the other fantasy "revelation" that came after the dramatization of the serie of books of the Song of Fire and Ice, after HBO: Since it appeared, I have been surprised with the amount of people -at least in Chile- back into "high fantasy". Even when the books of the Song of Fire and Ice weren't even translated by then!
MaddalinaMocanu Nov 5, 2012  Student Digital Artist
:)) I think that High-fantasy (of which A Song of Fire and Ice is NOT part of, because it's realistic - call it makeshift history in a fictional continent, but it has so few fantasy elements and so many realistic ones that I think no one can catalog it) has always spurred the interest of writers.
I, for one, have started out with Lak(not "t")e of the 40 Towers because I really liked the characters and afterwards, developing the plot, I began to love their stories as well. But my fist novel will not be it, most likely. I see "The Sweet Temptress" as my first novel :D It is much more appealing and it covers a historical event in a very fictional manner :D a thing which people are drawn to, because reality is pretty boring (so is A Song of Fire and Ice, because it copies it)
:iconshabazik:
Shabazik Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist
XD Sorry, I normally mess with literart concepts.
:iconthe-alchemy-of-me:
perhaps steampunk, lately i've been noticing more steampunk novels for sale. or maybe demons, those also seem to becoming more popular too
Add a Comment: