Book recommendations?

I read about a book a week, so I'm always looking for a new one. I tend to read realistic fiction, mystery, and sci-fi more than other genres, and I rarely read romance because to me it's boring haha
Some of my favorite authors are F Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Jennifer Donnelly. I read the "classics" more often than not, but I really don't care what time period it's from.
Thanks in advance to anyone who recommends a good book ;D
Comments191
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You should read the House Of Night series by P>C> and Kristen Cast, the books are REALLY good.
Oh I've heard of those! They sound really good, I'll check them out ;D
If you're looking for good sci-fi books, you absolutely HAVE to read the Animorphs series, by K.A. Applegate. What really sets this apart from the rest of conventional books is the sheer, staggering number of books in the series.
54 regular titles, and 10 spin-offs. A total of 64 books.
Yes, you read that right. 64. Although each book is only about 100 pages long.
Although its ten years old and was intended for somewhat young readers, it is nonetheless every bit as good as Harry Potter (in my humble opinion).
It's about a group of 5 teenagers who are given the power to morph into any animal they want, by a dying Andalite(a species of alien) war prince. With this power, they fight against a secret alien invasion of Earth by an alien race called the Yeerks. The Yeerks are basically intelligent slugs, that can make their way into your brain through your ear canal, and completely control your body. You can see and sense your surroundings, but the Yeerk is in total control of every single muscle. This makes an infested person (a human-controller) extremely difficult to detect as you will have no way of knowing if they are infested or not. The Yeerk can read your mind like a book, and act exactly like you.
The series seems quite juvenile at first, but as you start to delve deeper into it, you find a deep wisdom and a profound story in those pages.
check it out here: [link]
honestly i'm not that big of a fan of harry potter I've actually read a lot of the Animorphs series, I used to love them when I was younger~
My opinion of you just rose by roughly five thousand percent ;)
Awesome. You're an Animorphs fan! We're an endangered species, you know. No one even remembers what Animorphs is! Its a dying fandom.
Gosh I haven't read one of those books in a long time, but yeah I'm a fan ;D While the books' popularity has really died down, I'm sure there are other fans out there. (Reading itself is a dying form of entertainment though, so I'm not that surprised that no one reads these any more :| )
haha i suppose :P
The Broken Sword. It's kind of a barbaric fantasy book.
Who's the author?
Paul Anderson.

On the back it has a little text that sums up the start of the novel:

Stolen Birthright
His father was Imric the Elf Earl. His mother was a captive princess of the Trolls. But Valgard the Changeling was raised as the son of Orm in the Lands of Men. His mortal foster parents never knew that their real son, Skafloc, had been stolen at birth to be reared at manhood in the twilight fields of Faerie... they never knew that the curse that had brought them Valgard had even more heinous magic to wreak. But when Valgard learned the truth of his heritage, his vengeance knew no bounds. And so it was that he set forth to destroy his double - unaware that the gods had other plans for an Elfin mortal and a changeling born to kill!
SWORD-AND-SORCERY WITH A VENGEANCE!

It's a good, short read.
Sounds interesting.... I'm not usually into fantasy like this, but I'll give it a read anyway. I need to broaden my library, and I'm trying to be open to other genres. Thanks for the suggestion ;D
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay :aww:
I added that to my list, thanks for the suggestion :D
you're welcome :)
it's a pretty good book in my opinion
"The Stranger" by Camus.
I highly recomend The Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither and Fever, Sever out in Feb!) by Lauren Destefano. They are serously some of the best books around! :D
I looked them up and it sounds pretty good, thanks for the suggestion~ I added it to my list :D
Awesome! They are very addicting :P
I'll let you know what I think of them, they sound like a very entertaining series~
Have you read the book "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly? I read it a few weeks ago it was interesting.
Note: amade Malherbeau is not real.
If you like historical fiction theres Incantation by Alice Hoffman. Clockwork Angel looks interesting, its by Cassandra Clare.
the BOOK THIEF is a must. Its by Markus Zusak and is AMAZING!
I'm actually reading Revolution right now, it's really good so far :D
I'll add the rest of those to my list, thanks for the suggestions~ (I've been meaning to read The Book Thief for a while, but I forget about it sometimes... :I)
Ishiguro's (I THINK thats the name) "Never Let Me Go" sounds like it might be up your alley. Its taking the "realistic" things to surprisingly depressing depths, but even though it wasn't my cup of tea I had to admit it was done really well. Its basically posing the question "what really makes us human?", and follows a group of young people through their experience at a very "special" boarding school. I don't want to give away spoilers, but the book is more about questioning humanity than the actual plot.
I really want to read this, I have it on my list already ;D I never really knew what it was about though, your description made me want to read it more~