Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 190

Book recommendations?

:iconitriela:
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
I read about a book a week, so I'm always looking for a new one. I tend to read realistic fiction, mystery, and sci-fi more than other genres, and I rarely read romance because to me it's boring haha
Some of my favorite authors are F Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Jennifer Donnelly. I read the "classics" more often than not, but I really don't care what time period it's from.
Thanks in advance to anyone who recommends a good book ;D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkittymrowmrow:
KittyMrowMrow Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You should read the House Of Night series by P>C> and Kristen Cast, the books are REALLY good.
iTriela Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Oh I've heard of those! They sound really good, I'll check them out ;D
:iconavix215:
Avix215 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If you're looking for good sci-fi books, you absolutely HAVE to read the Animorphs series, by K.A. Applegate. What really sets this apart from the rest of conventional books is the sheer, staggering number of books in the series.
54 regular titles, and 10 spin-offs. A total of 64 books.
Yes, you read that right. 64. Although each book is only about 100 pages long.
Although its ten years old and was intended for somewhat young readers, it is nonetheless every bit as good as Harry Potter (in my humble opinion).
It's about a group of 5 teenagers who are given the power to morph into any animal they want, by a dying Andalite(a species of alien) war prince. With this power, they fight against a secret alien invasion of Earth by an alien race called the Yeerks. The Yeerks are basically intelligent slugs, that can make their way into your brain through your ear canal, and completely control your body. You can see and sense your surroundings, but the Yeerk is in total control of every single muscle. This makes an infested person (a human-controller) extremely difficult to detect as you will have no way of knowing if they are infested or not. The Yeerk can read your mind like a book, and act exactly like you.
The series seems quite juvenile at first, but as you start to delve deeper into it, you find a deep wisdom and a profound story in those pages.
check it out here: [link]
honestly i'm not that big of a fan of harry potter I've actually read a lot of the Animorphs series, I used to love them when I was younger~
My opinion of you just rose by roughly five thousand percent ;)
Awesome. You're an Animorphs fan! We're an endangered species, you know. No one even remembers what Animorphs is! Its a dying fandom.
Gosh I haven't read one of those books in a long time, but yeah I'm a fan ;D While the books' popularity has really died down, I'm sure there are other fans out there. (Reading itself is a dying form of entertainment though, so I'm not that surprised that no one reads these any more :| )
haha i suppose :P
:iconmagmagan:
Magmagan Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012
The Broken Sword. It's kind of a barbaric fantasy book.
Who's the author?
:iconmagmagan:
Magmagan Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Paul Anderson.

On the back it has a little text that sums up the start of the novel:

Stolen Birthright
His father was Imric the Elf Earl. His mother was a captive princess of the Trolls. But Valgard the Changeling was raised as the son of Orm in the Lands of Men. His mortal foster parents never knew that their real son, Skafloc, had been stolen at birth to be reared at manhood in the twilight fields of Faerie... they never knew that the curse that had brought them Valgard had even more heinous magic to wreak. But when Valgard learned the truth of his heritage, his vengeance knew no bounds. And so it was that he set forth to destroy his double - unaware that the gods had other plans for an Elfin mortal and a changeling born to kill!
SWORD-AND-SORCERY WITH A VENGEANCE!

It's a good, short read.
Sounds interesting.... I'm not usually into fantasy like this, but I'll give it a read anyway. I need to broaden my library, and I'm trying to be open to other genres. Thanks for the suggestion ;D
:iconnoirelune:
NoireLune Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay :aww:
iTriela Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
I added that to my list, thanks for the suggestion :D
:iconnoirelune:
NoireLune Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
you're welcome :)
it's a pretty good book in my opinion
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional General Artist
"The Stranger" by Camus.
:iconmystory557:
Mystory557 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I highly recomend The Chemical Garden Trilogy (Wither and Fever, Sever out in Feb!) by Lauren Destefano. They are serously some of the best books around! :D
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
I looked them up and it sounds pretty good, thanks for the suggestion~ I added it to my list :D
Mystory557 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Awesome! They are very addicting :P
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I'll let you know what I think of them, they sound like a very entertaining series~
Mystory557 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ok :)
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you read the book "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly? I read it a few weeks ago it was interesting.
Note: amade Malherbeau is not real.
If you like historical fiction theres Incantation by Alice Hoffman. Clockwork Angel looks interesting, its by Cassandra Clare.
the BOOK THIEF is a must. Its by Markus Zusak and is AMAZING!
I'm actually reading Revolution right now, it's really good so far :D
I'll add the rest of those to my list, thanks for the suggestions~ (I've been meaning to read The Book Thief for a while, but I forget about it sometimes... :I)
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Ishiguro's (I THINK thats the name) "Never Let Me Go" sounds like it might be up your alley. Its taking the "realistic" things to surprisingly depressing depths, but even though it wasn't my cup of tea I had to admit it was done really well. Its basically posing the question "what really makes us human?", and follows a group of young people through their experience at a very "special" boarding school. I don't want to give away spoilers, but the book is more about questioning humanity than the actual plot.
I really want to read this, I have it on my list already ;D I never really knew what it was about though, your description made me want to read it more~
:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh good!
:iconmatthewmatters:
MatthewMatters Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
Just recently read "The Stranger" by Camus. Sodding mind-blowing.
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Thanks, I'll add it to my list :D
:icondarksparking:
DarkSparking Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I read a while back a mystery book that i consider entertaining and a little unpredictable, its called:

The Hidden Stairs by Nancy Drew
:iconaeronauticalrr:
AeroNauticalRR Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012
C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower novels are TONS of fun, FULL of adventure, drama and sometimes romance
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
My friend loves those, haha. I'll add them to my list, thanks~
:iconaeronauticalrr:
AeroNauticalRR Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
You're welcome :D I'm reading the first book "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" and I've been watching the A&E Made for TV movie adaptations on DVD
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Well, for classics, I assume you read some Twain, yes? I prefer his book Roughing It.
Also, anything story length by Saki. I bought his complete works years ago and found the longer pieces weak but the stories often entertaining and varied.
Stephen Leacock's Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town.

For science fiction: if you like classics, have you checked out anything by Lewis Padgett? Henry Kuttner and Catherine L. Moore were him and together they wrote beautifully! I'd also recommend Cordwainer Smith, Phillip K. Dick, Ted Sturgeon (stories, NOT novels!), Arthur C. Clarke, and Stanislaw Lem.
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
Wow, first of all thanks for suggesting so many books~
And yes I've read some Twain, but I've never read Roughing It, so I'll give it a try. I'm excited to look at all of these, I haven't read any of the books you suggested. Which means I'll have a lot of fun reading these. :D
I liked this Twain because it was, at least in theory, autobiographical, but also clearly fictionalized with a little heart and suspense and humor.
Saki is a specialized taste, but his story "Sredni Vashtar" still haunts me to this day.
I'm thrilled to hear you have so many new vistas to try, and you're certainly welcome. I specialize in collecting a lot of older science fiction, usually at least fifty years old or more (you can no longer buy them from stores, but the "Asimov Presents the Great Science Fiction of the year 19__" is a fantastic anthology series of old s.f. writers and you can get some of them on Amazon, last time I checked....).
I doubt you'll agree with every one of my choices, btu I promise they're all different, so disliking one might not mean the next won't thrill you.
I'll be curious to know if anything strikes your fancy.
I've honestly never been that big of a Mark Twain fan, but I'm keeping an open mind and reading Roughing It anyway. I go through about a book a week, so I'm always looking for something to read. Whether I like it or not, it's still a book to pass the time with.
And since I buy a lot of my books on Amazon anyway, I'll look for it. I love older science fiction also, so I'm sure I'll enjoy those.
I'll definitely know if I like any of these, I'm sure there's at least one that I'll enjoy.
To each their own. If you read his novels, you probably read his weakest works; they steer clear of his short stories in school, which are subversive and wildly creative, with parodies of Sherlock Holmes, straight-up horror and science fiction, even a story that deliberately leads to a rut and stops dead! Still, if anything has a chance of changing your mind, Roughing It is the one.
I used to read a book a week, but between work and the hurricane / snowstorm combo, I've been too distracted to handle a book lately. I'm just getting back into a nonfiction one, though. How I missed it!
I'm sure there are better books of his than what I've read, I've read 3 of his works, and two of them were in school. Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer were both in school, and I read The Innocents Abroad a couple summers ago. I don't hate his works, I just don't love them either. But I'm willing to read what you suggested, because one or two unappealing books can't really speak for his writing as a whole.
Oh that must be rough, I live out west but I see all the news coverage and I have friends that were affected by the storm, so I can only imagine how hard it must be to actually live there. (I hope you're okay) What do you do for work? (if you don't mind me asking)
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
That's very fair of you. I can't promise you'll become a convert -- some of his stories are so-so too -- but at the very least, you'll see a side of him that school never teaches you.
I may be biased a little. I'm related to him, distantly but twice over. Alas, none of his genes though (just in case there really is a writing gene we haven't found yet...).

I'm fine, but thanks for asking. The eight days of cold weren't enough to do any damage (I worked out and rode my stationary bike to warm me up). I managed to cut down the one tree branch I could reach before it crushes my gutters any further. The other two need pros, though. I only have a handful of small cuts and scrapes from the encounter, which is actually an achievement I'm amazed by, myself.
I don't mind the question. I work in education with a specialty in math.
Even if I don't like a book, I still enjoy the experience as a whole, because I love discussing books with the literary arts magazine I'm in. And that's cool that you're related to him! I've never really gone that far into my genealogy so I'm not aware of any important figures in my family tree...

I don't think I would survive in the cold, haha, cold out here is 50 degrees. And at least your house wasn't badly damaged :) And what grade do you teach?
(1 Reply)
:iconjulia-kisteneva:
Julia-Kisteneva Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
May be something from R. Bradbury? For example, 451 fahrenheit or Something Wicked This Way Comes..I love this books. There is so much to think about!
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
I loved Farenheit 451, so I should check out some of his other books too. Would you recommend Something Wicked This Way Comes, or one of his other books to read?
Julia-Kisteneva Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Then I'd recommend "The Martian Chronicles", I think you will like it anyway. As for "Something Wicked This Way Comes" - this book is more..uh..complicated? But if you really want some mystery and reasoning you can read this book too!
*sorry if I wrote something wrong, I'm not a native English speaker~ :- )*
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012
I'll probably read both, but I'll read the Martian Chronicles first because the last book I read was complicated, so I need a break haha
And your English is great, actually! better than some native speakers i know... :|
Julia-Kisteneva Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
haha~ ok! And thank you, I don't really think my English is great, but you made me happy :- )
Your English sounds fine to me, I would have never thought it isn't your native language. :)
:iconalectryomachy:
alectryomachy Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
While it's categorized as fantasy, there isn't a whole lot of magic in George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, so if you're into the more 'realistic' stories, you won't find any talking dragons or wizards slinging spells at one another in this. There are a lot of knights, a lot of political issues and so many characters that you'll be picking sides before the end - provided you aren't confused.

The only problem is that Martin hasn't yet finished the series, and he started it in the mid 1990s. He's known for taking his sweet time between books, which is especially frustrating if you're like me and can eat through 1000 page novels in two days. I'd give an arm and a leg if the man would just finish what he started already!

I digress, the series goes:

#1 A Game of Thrones
#2 A Clash of Kings
#3 A Storm of Swords
#4 A Feast for Crows
#5 A Dance with Dragons

Aside from that, I've read the first Harry Dresden novel by Jim Butcher and I liked it, but I don't know how the rest of the series plays out since I've only just begun the second. The books are about Harry, who is a wizard and something of a private investigator, as he solves crimes in modern Chicago. It's an interesting medley, and there's a lot of humor between the mystery and fantasy. Definitely light reading compared to Martin's series, but sometimes that's all you need.
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I've been wanting to read the Song of Fire and Ice series for a long time, actually. I'm really picky about series in the way that I have to buy the books in order, and the bookstore never has Game of Thrones. To be honest I just kind of put it to the side in favor of other books and I forgot about it. :|

And the Harry Dresden books sound really interesting cause I have a hard time finding books with a good blend of humor.
Thanks for the recommendations~ :)
You should try used bookstores or places like goodwill (assuming you haven't already). I've found so many good deals at places like that.

You're welcome.
iTriela Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
I've been to the used bookstore and bought a few books there, but I've never tried Goodwill. There's one right by my house, I should check it out sometime. Thanks~ ;D
Sometimes they hide some pretty cool stuff. I got a dinotopia book there for $2 - the same book costs like $25 for a brand new copy from Barnes and Nobles! and you're welcome, again. haha. ;D
Add a Comment: