December 28, 2016
Link

Statistics

Replies: 70

Not new but looking for art buddies

:iconsilverfable:
SilverFable Featured By Owner Edited Dec 28, 2016  Professional General Artist
Hi everyone!

As the title says I'm not new but I'm looking for people to talk art with. I really want to become a better artist so I hope to find peolple who also want to grow and who wouldn't mind hearing and giving critique! 

I mostly paint fantasy, and I want to get better at painting realistic (and semi/realistic). My favorite artist at the moment is Cynthia Sheppard <3

Other things I love are travelling, food, reading, and Japan! I've just started learning Japanese, so if anyone wants to be Japanese study buddies, I'm here =)

Also, I'm not crazy active at DA but I do log in from time to time (or else I wouldn't have posted this call for art friends), just so you know why I don't always reply quickly.

I hope to meet some awesome people~ Thank you for your time! =D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcagdasdemiralp:
cagdasdemiralp Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017  Student Digital Artist
Hello, nice to meet you. I'm an art student and I like fantasy art. I put you on my watch. Hope you have a good time :)
:iconstarlesstrooper2112:
StarlessTrooper2112 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh shit you're a million times better than me, I could use critiques though but that's like the opposite of what you are looking for.
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017  Professional General Artist
I could use some critiques as well! So I guess we're looking for the same thing:) And thank you, I think you're really good yourself though.
StarlessTrooper2112 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks! I would try to critique your stuff but you seem to know what you are doing.
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2017  Professional General Artist
I wish I did XD Thanks though!
StarlessTrooper2112 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
yw :)
:iconsilveydesigns:
SilveyDesigns Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
hey I am looking for people to talk art with too! I also paint fantasy, but more cartoony realism and vibrant colors, I like your style! I put you on my watch 
also I have been to japan once and took it in highschool for 4 years. so I love talking japanese stuff<3
have a nice day!
Hi! It's nice to meet you!
That's so nice, you have such a cute style~ I love cartoony realism:rose: And thank you so much!
That must have been so awesome.. I've never been there before but I hope to one day. I'm only starting to learn hiragana so I can't speak it yet. Did you find it difficult to learn Japanese?
:iconsilveydesigns:
SilveyDesigns Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
i found it easy to leaarn japanese, when I did study, but languages come easier to me than to others, I have extreme difficulty in math and i struggle with science classes and history as well. I found that, japanese language has much less exceptions than english, there sentences follow direct patterns and are very literal so i felt that once you can learn all the alphabets it may be easier than english, but second languages are always hard of course:) 
:icontheglittercrayon:
theglittercrayon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hello! Nice to meet you :).
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2017  Professional General Artist
Hi there! Nice to meet you too =) 
How are you doing? Loving your detailed portraits by the way!:rose:
:icontheglittercrayon:
theglittercrayon Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oh! thank you!  I'm doing just fine! :)

I think you have a pretty neat style!
That's good to hear :) Thank you!
:iconrileystark:
RileyStark Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2017  Professional Digital Artist
Hello! 

I wasn't familiar with Cynthia Sheppard before, so I went and looked up her artwork -- she has some really nice stuff. I definitely saved a few of her pieces for my 'inspiration' folder.
Hi!
I'm glad I could direct you to her~ I love her use of edges and her limited color palette, I feel like you must be really skilled to create those lovely images with such effortless looking strokes... *art goals*! I don't know if you're familiar with Karla Ortiz, but if you like Sheppard's work you might like hers as well. She has some very inspirational works, especially her graphite pencil work is amazing.
RileyStark Featured By Owner Edited Jan 14, 2017  Professional Digital Artist
I wasn't familiar with Karla either. Thanks for the recommendation! I definitely like her stuff too -- her illustrations and fine art pieces have a lovely softness to the way she handles lighting. 

I've been obsessed with Gregory Manchess lately. I've really be digging his more chiseled/graphic brushwork. He has a very effortless quality to his work (much like Sargent's stuff) that I'd love to get the hang of and utilize in my own pieces. Every stroke just oozes purpose and confidence. It's very easy to get sucked into the trap of over-rendering and losing all the lovely brush detailing in a piece. (At least I find that to be true.) People who can get their artwork to read with just a minimal use of strokes always impress me.
No problem :) Thank you for recommending Manchess! His work is definitely a feast for the eyes. I love that style of painting! He shows so much with so little, I really like how in some of his paintings the character's faces are practically one or two values... amazing!

That's certainly true for me as well. I always catch myself over-working my pieces.. Atm I'm working on quick acrylic paintings to practise more sufficient brush strokes, it's almost like a puzzle or a game having to think two steps ahead to know where you need to place the stroke in which value with what edge.. I find it really hard.

Also just went to visit your gallery, and I just have to say you have such great pieces of art! Loving the sherlock fanart and the 'Friends' painting the most:rose:
RileyStark Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017  Professional Digital Artist
Oh, thanks! I pulled a lot of inspiration for 'Friends' piece and several of the Sherlock Holmes pieces from the original Sidney Paget Sherlock Holmes illustrations. I love working in that black and white style -- there's something very satisfying about it.

Manchess is awesome. Have you ever heard of the Blog 'Muddy Colors'? It's an excellent resource for artists. (Both information-wise for learning art tips and being exposed to artists you may not be familiar with.) Manchess contributes to it periodically and it's a great read: muddycolors.blogspot.com/
:iconphinnimonster:
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi there! I also am always looking to improve (up for trading critiques) AND I've started to learn Japanese-- it's been awhile but I'd love an excuse to pick it back up again.
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2017  Professional General Artist
Hello~ That sounds awesome, I would love to trade critiques =)
Great! I'm only a beginner though I just started learning hiragana. What level are you at with Japanese?
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Perfect! :D
I would call myself a beginner too at this point. When I last left my studies I could form basic sentences and I could read hiragana and katakana along with a handful of kanji! But I've forgotten a lot of it now (as in I've forgotten a lot of basic words and a lot of the hiragana/katakana). But I've noticed while watching anime it's slowly coming back to me! What have you been using to teach yourself Japanese?
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2017  Professional General Artist
That's really awesome! I'm only halfway through hiragana now but I do know a few words and phrases from watching too much Anime XD I'm so sorry though for responding so late, I hadn't noticed your reply before! I feel like such a baka OTL
What anime have you been watching recently?
I've been using this website --> japanese-lesson.com/ I like it a lot =) And I've got an ebook called 'speak Japanese in 90 days' by kevin marx it was free in ibooks, but I haven't read it yet. What about you?
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah it's funny getting back into anime for me (Yuri on Ice is the first anime I've watched in like... 3 years? btw have you seen it? I'm OBSESSED) because I find the words I never from before are coming back to me quickly. I forgot I even knew that much to begin with.... ;O
And that's ok hahah my reply's slow too!
Nice, I'll check out these links! For me I started learning with Michel Thomas' Japanese audio lessons, they are actually scarily good, you learn so fast (it's entirely by ear, no reading or anything), and you learn how to form your own sentences right from the start. The only thing it doesn't teach you a toooon of is vocab, it teaches you like basic/important words but of course if you want to learn more you gotta learn other places. I learnt hiragana and katakana from this book: www.amazon.com/Japanese-Hiraga… , it includes flashcards in it which is useful! and also it shows you the brushstrokes for writing by hand. And for kanji I have a book called "Remembering the Kanji" which builds up from the most basic symbols and shows that the more complicated ones are just combinations of simpler ones, which makes them both easier to remember and easier to figre out on your own if you come across a symbol you've never seen before. Both the hiragana/katakana and kanji books use handy mnemonics which I find useful! And then watching subbed anime of course helps with listening comprehension! Anyway, whew! This is way longer than I'd planned to write, sorry for the textwall!
:iconriphy:
Riphy Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oh i'm also lookin for some art buddies! generally havin friends irl is great but it's like a necessity to have someone who knows n does art herself to spend good time with! so hello, hope we can make friends! :)
Great! Nice to meet you =) 
I know what you mean, it's really nice to have people who you can talk with about art! I hope so too~ 
Also I really liked that still life you painted, you're very talented! Do you work mostly in fine art/realism type of art?
Riphy Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes n i'm really glad to have found u! ^^

oh Thank u soo very much, hearin it from someone very talented herself meant a lot! loved ur works! n i'd definitely love to see more traditional drawings from u! traditional fan over here :D

Oh yes i used to be drawn to realism to kinda challenge myself, i still need lotsa practise to get there, so yeah i started off with still life, but i think my real passion is surrealism, i tried myself at  still life to kinda show that ''i can draw more or less, for not my surrealism be taken for granted or ''she can't draw just wants to seem original'' kinda stuff.U know not everyone gets surreal works. I dunno maybe i'm wrong but startin straight away with ''weird'' paintings didn't seem like a good idea. Well, so yeah 5 of my new surreal drawings r ready already so i just need to submit! :) Wbu? how u started n what inspired u? :) You're so super talented urself!
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2017  Professional General Artist
Aww, thank you! That's so nice of you :) I'm warming up a bit with acrylic studies these days though I prefer oils since they dry slowly. What do you prefer to work with?

I think that's really smart of you! Defintely because this way you can show you have skills in all area's and choose surrealisme above all! I also believe that the best surrealism (and abstract) artist started with realism, since you can't break the rules if you don't know them. Ooh I'm really curious to see those drawings of yours! :la: Also I'm wondering who are your favourite sureal artists?
Thank you :hug: :rose: I got into art because I wanted to be a manga/comic book artist but I drifted to fantasy illustration and fine art. I love so many different types of art and get inspired by too many I think. I still might go back to comics one day~ 
Riphy Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yaaaaay! some acyrlic studies! cannot wait! i prefer oils all the way! at first it was scary but the more i worked roles changed n i got power over brushes not them over me! to be completely honest i have never tried anything else than oils, so it's always been them n graphite pencils for me :D

absolutely! so glad to know that we're on the same mindset about that whole ''how to start with surrealism strategy''! heheh  :)
Thank u,means a lot! i can't wait to post either! not expectin much of positive feedback tho,hahah, like it's some different drawings, but any reaction is welcome cuz i'm absolutely happy that i at last created what *i* wanted in the first place rather than followin what's ''normal'' n will probably stick with it! One thing i can assure that the new ones stem from my experiences, personal thoughts n that already gives the feelin that it's some personal thing n can't be repeated! Actually depression was the reason i started drawin over a year ago, tho i'm doin much better now i can still relate the experience to the drawings! *they r not some ''dark'' works it just promptet creativity in me somehow lol*  plannin to do some still lifes too every now n then to add variety! besides doin what i want i wanna please supporters as well! ^^ or traditional lovers i'd rather say, as much as possible. 

Oh i love Salvador Dali! he's a genius to me! i added an element from his work to one of the drawings too! ye 'course i'll credit him! haha.  i've not really taken any art classes or anything, n didn't search for artists, so don't really get lotsa names, *sad music in the background* heheh, well  if u have some fav artists of urs i'd be glad to know really :)

Ouuuuu manga/comic artist! i love this field! Fantasy illustration too, i just LOVE! to me it requires more of an imaginative mind really! n then u have to give the ''feels'' too, so creative! Plz do go back to comics! while u keep doin what u do now!  i'm pretty sure i n many others would enjoy ur comics A LOT! <3 Heart Hug :happybounce: 
I'll try and compose them all on one page and post them in the future~ :la: You're right, oils are the best~~ The only reason I'm using acrylics now is because it's faster for studies and easier to clean the brushes XD Cleaning oil from my brushes takes me about 30 minutes or more... T.T Do you have the same problem, or is it just me?

That sounds wonderful! I love work that's personal to the artist, it usually shows <3 I'm sorry you had to go through depression though, I fell into depression last year but with some help from my family I got out of it luckily, but still it's great you could use your experience to make art out of it. That personal touch is definitely going to get received well, I'm sure people could relate to it a little which makes the art just more special :heart: So don't be afraid to post your work in case people won't like it, I'm sure it'll be great~ :iconcheerplz:

His work is gorgeous! I love how realistic yet strange his paintings look, as if you're looking into a dream. In high school we saw a movie of Frida Kahlo's life, I think she was a surealist as well? I like her work, yet they scare me a little it's just so franc and to the point, like the way she saw life without any sugar coating. 
I've got so many art hero's, it's a huge list XD Someone just pointed me towards Gregory Manchess, and I love that type of work loose yet so detailed.. Artists who can capture a portrait, or scene in just a few brush strokes... that's what I adore, and I hope to be able to do that in the future as well. A few others are, Caravaggio, Vermeer, Rockwell, Cornwell, J.C Leyendecker (those last 3 have such tasty illustrative styles!! I can't stop looking at their works). And a few favorite artist who are still alive XD ; Cynthia Sheppard, Karla Ortiz, charlie Bowater and Artur Sadlos... and Clamp/Oda eiichiro (something completely different.)

I did take some art classes, but I found some of my favorite artists while just browsing the web! I find it so much fun to find great work, so if you find an artist you like feel free to share~~ <3

Yaay, I'm glad you like those fields too! Have you got any fav manga's you've read? I find it really hard to be creative yeah.. especially painting from my mind is something I have to practise on but I hope to get there~
Thank you, that's so kind of you!! :glomp: I hope I'll get to it one day but  I try not to focus on it now since I hardly have any free time these days.... TT.TT
Riphy Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yaaaay! can't wait already! oh u're not alone on the issue! xD  oil just won't leave the brushes! what a romance!

Thank you so much love!  i really hope u'll enjoy the new drawings as well! ur views matter to me, cuz  i'm happy to find some real artistic ppl around! whse ideas i can totally rely on  n have a listen on the advice given from them! i'm sorry for u fell in depression the last year but happy that u snapped outta it right away with the help from some right people! :)  

yes Dali is indeed so different! plus creatin such paintings back at his time! takes so e courage n slight insanity which he deifnitely had, hahah :D  maybe more than slight ahem. just sayin

Thanks! checked the artists, woow, so dfferent nice works! J.C Leyendecker ! loved his works more! i can name my current fav modern artist, maybe u know, Henrik Uldalen! his works r a real dream world! i know where he seemed to get insipiration from so i might try something of the sort myself too, if i feel n combine it with my own way of expressionism! i'll of course let u know my other artists too, so far i cannot remember some others :(

online browsing is both so much fun n gives new ideas too! it's my fav free time pleasure, just look at the art created by others n RELAX!

painting from mind is real hard! i remember havin struggled on smth over n over again practisin so, then i just took a photo reference n it was ready straight away, but i've improved a bit recently i think, gets easier each time

what a pity u don't have that free time, i regret it when great artists won't have the time to create, that's just a shame! in a world where art is so underappreciated it's no surprise tho..

:iconcqcoffee:
CQCoffee Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017  Student Digital Artist
Always down for more friends on here! Would definitely exchange watches with you! :D 
:highfive:  
Nice to meet you~ I'm liking your portraits a lot! If you'd like I would love to keep in touch =)
:iconkocurrise:
Kocurrise Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017   Digital Artist
Hiya! We can be art buddies if you'd like! I  like trying new things all the time with my art, so...maybe my style isn't that consistent. 'v')
Hello! I would like that~ It's great you're trying out new things though! I'm sure you'll find your own unique style in time =)
Kocurrise Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2017   Digital Artist
Yay!
Y'know, I'm fine with my art not being consistent sometimes. It gets boring for me when art is too repetitive. (´・ω・`)
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2017  Professional General Artist
I feel the same way actually! I've tried out many styles not sure if I'll ever stick to one, though realism has always appealed to me :)
Kocurrise Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2017   Digital Artist
aaa I'm sure what style appeals to me most Shokugeki no Soma - Megumi (Scared) V1 ...probably cutesy gunk? Yeah. I probably wont stick to one true art style. I've been attempting more realistic pieces lately. The results aren't satisfying though. xD
Cutesy gunk sounds nice! I like pronouncing that XD Anyway you should just go with the flow and not focus on style to much! If you get the basics down you can do whatever style you want whenever you want it! I'm sure you'll get there, soon.. you already have great skills!! :rose:
Kocurrise Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2017   Digital Artist
Thank you! I'll keep trying.
I'm glad there are people who think I have some skill. Hopefully, I'll be able to create beautiful like you do one day.  ; v ;
:iconbeckykidus:
BeckyKidus Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017  Student Traditional Artist
Well, hello! :-) I'm a traditional animal artist :-) I also draw a little fantasy - fantasy animals, that is!
Hello! Nice to meet you =) 
I love animal art and your work is really gorgeous <3
And I often draw fantasy animals as well They're so much fun to paint~
:iconbeckykidus:
BeckyKidus Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2017  Student Traditional Artist
I also draw a little fantasy art - fantasy animals :-)
:iconstjarnor:
stjarnor Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2017  Student General Artist
I would love to be art buddies with you!! I'm not a fantasy artist, but I'm really trying to improve in digital painting (semi-realistic/realistic) and would love to have someone to critique back and forth with, and your art is fantastic!! I'm also studying Japanese and wouldn't mind having another person to study with! How long have you been learning the language?
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017  Professional General Artist
I just went to your page, and you've got a really nice style going one. I really love your portraits, they're full of character and I really like that <3 And I would love to critique back and forth with you! Thank you, I'm honoured that you think that =)

I'm only a beginner, I'm starting to learn hiragana, since I wanted to learn the alphabet(s) before learning words and phrases. (I've got years of watching anime behind me though, so I already know some words xD) How long have you been learning Japanese?
:iconstjarnor:
stjarnor Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2017  Student General Artist
Wow thank you! I'm really trying to improve on those so that means a lot :)
Awesome!! (and you're welcome! Nod )

I've been at it a bit longer than you have... 6 years of studying under my belt Sweating a little... So I can definitely help you out if you have any questions!! Learning the alphabets and basic phrases is a great place to start!
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2017  Professional General Artist
That's a long time indeed. Are you able to speak Japanese fluently now?
And thanks for the offer! I'll let you know when I get stuck though for now it's just learning the signs... which is easier than I thought it would be !
:iconthomasvandijk:
thomasVanDijk Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2016
It's nice to meet you. I hope you'll have a happy New Year!
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017  Professional General Artist
Nice to meet you! Thank you, I hope you have a happy new year yourself!
Looking at your name, are you dutch?
:iconthomasvandijk:
thomasVanDijk Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2017
Yes, I am :nod:
SilverFable Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2017  Professional General Artist
Yay! Ik ook :highfive:
Add a Comment: