Shouting out into the void.

Hey yo!

I'm a Cartoonist/Illustrator living in New York just trying to get by.  I quit my shitty deli job a year ago to chase the dream of being able to support myself as an artist and am currently looking for commission/freelance work.  I attended and received a BFA from the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan (Class of 2006) and was the main artist for five of the six issues of a self-published Canadian indie horror/comedy project called Freelance Blues.  I edited script, designed the cast of characters, thumbnailed, pencilled, inked, and in the beginning hand-lettered.  You can check that out over at www.freelanceblues.com.

I work primarily in black and white, traditionally, and pencil/ink all comics by hand.  I use Photoshop just to touch them up, and so am admittedly not well-versed in digital mediums.  I color illustrations using a combination of colored pencil and watercolor and also have been dabbling lately in blacklight art (Letraset neon markers).  It's been a really long time since I've been able to 'talk shop' with other artists, so I'm looking forward to being able to discuss techniques and mediums like I used to in school.  I'm still shaking some rust off at age 31, but we're always learning and I'm excited to get better.  I can use all the business help I can get, so I'll be combing the forums for good discussions on that if you need me.

As for me personally, I'm a giant nerd.  I love cartoons, horror movies, writing, music (effin' music), comics, Star Wars, stand-up comedy, hip-hop, DIY, vegan shit, reading, my cat Sammy, yaddayadda.  I also like to sit in Bitter Corner being cynical and living under a rock, so if any of this stuff sounds like a good time to you I'd love to start getting to know some quality around these parts.

If you've gotten this far, you're dope.  See you, space cowboy.

-Vicki
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Welcome to Deviant Art. It's nice to meet you. How's your day?
Thanks very much, nice to meet you as well!  My day's okay, how about yours?
It's pretty good.
If you're looking to get work, you might want to look into the job offers forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offe… and advertise yourself in the job services forum.deviantart.com/jobs/serv… forums.
Lovely to see a traditional medium comic artist :D That's a field I hope someday to get into myself.
Thanks!  I posted in the job services forum before I posted here, maybe that was a little backwards. XD  I troll those two forums relentlessly, I appreciate the great advice.  Traditional comics are where it's at!  Do you have a particular story you're working on?
Trying to write a kid friendly fantasy world at the moment, can't do much art beyond storyboards because I've utterly stuffed my right arm, and I really can't draw that well left handed.
I really want to work it up in ink and watercolour, would love to get a radiograph pen and make the inks in sepia rather than black too, might have to just get really good at brushwork, radiographs are insanely spendy :D
Oof, what did you do to your arm?  Sepia inks would be really interesting but you're right, Rapidographs can get up there.  Maybe there's something to be snagged up on ebay.  I started off with Microns.
RSI, using postage stamp sized drawing tablet for hours on end == very. bad. idea.
I think I've seen sepia toned microns, don't know the brand, not sure I can /get/ them, might have to keep my eyes open.
Hey hi hello. :D (Big Grin) 
Same ol' grind.  How 'bout you?
That's awesome.  I like your avatar.  Soundwave is my hands-down favorite G1 Transformer, with Megs and Starscream close seconds.  How 'bout you?
Optimus Prime, bumblebee, and Ironhide are mine and thanks.
Priiiiiime. -fistclench-  What did you think of the Bay 'films'?
The first one is the best. The other ones suck.
Hi hey, how are you?
I'm doing good, you?
Getting by, gotta take it one day at a time.  What do you like to write?
Gotta do what you gotta do.

I do some fanfics and some original stuff mostly fantasy stuff.
Have you ever read any of The Adventures of Hawk and Fisher?  I think the two collections are called Guards of Haven and Swords of Haven, by Simon R. Greene.  I love them to death, there's some goooood fantasy stuff to be found there.
I haven't, but I fell off of reading for a while (mainly to job hunt), but I'm picking it back up as of now and I've been trying to read a bunch more books so I'll look into those.