Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 28

Greetings from dusty outback Australia (that place where everything tries to kill ya)

:iconkillerwig:
killerwig Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
... honestly it's not that bad out here. Snakes will leave you alone if you stand still and don't annoy them.

Anyway - I've been doing digital art for quite a while now and I've known about DA for years, but this is the first time I actually joined in with the fun. It's been a while since I did any traditional art with oils or acrylics, but looking to get back into that too if I can find time (Married with kids, so time is at a premium these days).

Really like horror art, fantasy, anything strange and unusual, scuba kung fu, garden gnome destruction, smoking kippers for breakfast, Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Look, my first forum doodle - a fish! : ><">

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Filmographer
Evening from Cardiff! Have you ever tried typing (^^^) or (")> in on facebook in a message to someone? your fish reminded me of it. :la:
Ello there - I've seen these new-fangled emotes on facebook, but I'm waiting for the ascii art revival... now for a bigger fish!

~~~.,--,_
__~_\.---'-._
\\.'.--".....///o\
//..'--._....\\__/
~~.`"--(/"`

well... sort of.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I'm from Perth lol
Dam the summer heat
Hey there - and you got some more heading your way over next week. Been up to 47 here - the bloody road was melting the other day.. heheh... gotta love summer. :D
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
I prefer winter :D
:iconsorrowking:
sorrowking Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
All I have to say is DUUUUUDE!!!!!
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Wecome to the chattier side of DA. Though I'm generaly too busy to do much chatying.
Thanks for the welcome :) I know all about busy too, but I'm just waiting to pass out suddenly as I've been awake for far too long. I reckon any attempt at being busy right now would have unpredictable results... like, I might set fire to something, or myself! Or I might even unexpectedly open up a wormhole to another realm and usher in a two-millenia-long era of distopian corruption... oh wait, that already happened.

Nap time soon :)
:iconniacherryblossom:
niacherryblossom Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hello and welcome to DA i'm berry nice meeting you and i love your avatar picture.
Hey thank you for the warm welcome. That picture was taken when I just got my dreadlocks done - they turned out pretty good :)
:iconniacherryblossom:
niacherryblossom Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
cool i have a character with locks too.....lol
:iconchrisravensar:
chrisravensar Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi I'm from what would be the Canadian out back I suppose. Lots of open space and not much of anything but i love it.
Ah - polar bears are probably way worse than saltwater crocs - at least crocs don't sniff you out over hundreds of kilometers hehe. Canada is somewhere I always wanted to visit... I bet you have some amazing scenery to inspire you there...
I'm to far south for polar bears, the country is beautiful and varied. Forerests prairies mountains the coastal regoins.
It is also a large coutry 7 days to go buy train from coast to coast. If you come you will need alot of time to see it or make alot of visits.
The most dangerous animals around here are coyotes and cougares, but generally if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. In the summer there are rattle snakes but if you get bit buy the you asked for it.
Personnally i'll take the cogaurs and coyotes over the crocs
No crocs near where I live, but we have the top 2 world's most venemous snakes - inland taipan, which is rare out here and the eastern brown. Good thing is they're not agressive or territorial like the coastal taipan on the east and north coasts.
What is a taipan?
I have also heard that the deadliest spiders are in Australia are they around where you live?
A taipan is kind of snake - very, very venemous.

And for spiders yep we have these: [link]
Spiders, don't like them and they are harder to advoid. So to stay safe you have to stay alert I'm thinking. Australia is one of the places my husband really wants to go to, so do I but you do have the deadliest snakes and spiders there. I suppose it is like being inthe wilderness areas anywhere be smart and you are safe. Right?
Well I moved here from the UK almost 5 years ago, so when I got here I was really paranoid about spiders. The most poisonous thing in the UK is a wasp or very very very very rarely, an adder, so you can probably understand my position. As always though, it's fear of the unknown... it really isn't as bad as you think it might be. Treat all spiders as dangerous until you can spot the nice ones like the golden orb weaver, garden orb spider, Huntsman, St Andrews Cross spider etc which are mostly harmless. The rest look creepy enough for you to avoid them if you see them. Always check your shoes before you put them on - same with sleeping bags. Male funnel webs go out all along east coast Australia looking for mates at certain times of the year and they have a really nasty bite and can be agressive if threatened. Redbacks usually spin their webs close to the ground with vertical trip wires - they usually feed on ants.

If you see a snake, stand still and let it pass - unless it's a death adder (a very short stubby snake) then move slowly away. If you're out in the bush, wear long pants or gaiters - most snakes can't bite through them. Avoid walking through tall grass... most of it is just common sense.

I've only seen two snakes in my 5 years of being here - one was on the road, and an Eastern Brown snake wandered through our camp in the bush (it got chopped up with a long handled axe). We get mostly huntsman spiders, black house spiders and white tail spiders in the house, and they definitely don't freak me out like they used to - although I keep an eye on them or spray / squash them if I get a chance. I leave huntsman, garden orbs and golden orbs and money spiders alone...

If you're going to the coast and in the water, keep a lookout for bottles of vinegar for jellyfish stings. Avoid swimming anywhere known for box jellyfish, it's the most venemous creature on Earth and you virtually have no chance of surviving the sting - which is so excruciatingly painful, people usually die of shock before reaching the shore.

I think you and your husband would absolutely LOVE Australia though. The risk of getting bitten by something nastier than a mozzie is very, very small. You'll only be in danger if you put yourself in danger most of the time - common sense rules all.
(1 Reply)
:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
G'day! What part of the outback are you from?
Broken Hill here - near where they filmed Mad Max 2 (the road warrior with Mel Gibson). Yeah, it's pretty much a semi arid desert mining town - lots of tradional artists out here too..
Ahh. That's a historical place, am I right?
For mining it is. Can find just about every single mineral there is out here, but mostly silver, lead and zinc
What about aluminium? I've heard there are a lot of aluminium mines in Australia; some of the biggest in the world if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think bauxite is mined here, although it's been found. Just silver, zinc lead and uranium mostly - some copper too. Think you'd have to go to goulburn for bauxite.
Add a Comment: