Closed to new replies
November 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

I'm not quite new, but...

:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
...I don't seem to be the only relatively old member who is relatively new to the forums, so I'll take a whack at it anyway.

I am Ultimate Ridley, named for the Metroid villain. I am also known as Kabutopzilla depending on the site. I am a... well, to be honest, I don't find myself drawing all that much, at least not in comparison to the main form of art I dabble in: universe building. I've been building a universe for about six years now, and it is pretty big and very detailed at this point. When I do draw, it's not in any predetermined style because I am self-taught.

Here are my interests...

Movies: Pretty much any movie that is not a "chick flick" or otherwise focuses on romance (romance can be an element of the film and I'll be okay, but I can't stand romance-centered movies). I tend to lean more towards sci-fi and action, however. My favorite movies include The Dark Knight, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club, The Godfather, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (and also The Life of Brian), and recently, Looper.

Music: Metal. For most people, that's a good enough description of musical taste, but for my fellow metalheads (should any read this) I'll just name some of my favorite bands: Be'lakor, Wintersun, Equilibrium, Opeth, Scar Symmetry, August Burns Red. I listen to many more bands than just those, however.

Video Games: My favorite game series of all time is the Metroid series. I own every single installment, have beaten each installment at least 3 times (some of them I've beaten over 30 times), and I love all of them. Of the only four games that I would personally rate a perfect 10/10, 3 of those games belong to the Metroid series (Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, and Metroid: Zero Mission). I love the series so much that I actually get extremely agitated and unhealthily protective when I see "smaller" franchises like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Professor Layton get more attention on message boards such as, for example, Serebii. I am, by all definitions, a Metroid elitist.

My second favorite game series of all time is Pokémon. Unlike Metroid, which caught me in my teen years and blew me away, Pokémon defines a part of my childhood. I was (barely) old enough to appreciate Red/Blue when it came out in the United States, but I'd say my interest didn't really begin to blossom until Gold/Silver. Since then, I have been all over any canon Pokémon game (not much into the spin-offs that are not Mystery Dungeon related). Of my "4 Perfect Games" mentioned above, one belongs to this series: Pokémon Emerald.

Other favorite game series: Assassin's Creed, Halo, Dead Space, Gears of War, Half-Life, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls (anyone remember Morrowind? I do!), Fallout

Other Interests: Linguistics, universe building (as noted above), computers, zoology (especially paleozoology), prehistory, making really goddamn long posts, American history, etc.

Most of what I put in my gallery will pertain to the universe I've been building, otherwise it will be a Fakemon I made. I also have a few pictures of my old Fallout comics (and their spiritual successor, Mass Defect).

So yeah. Hey.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Hello! Your introduction is so much more complete than most people do, ahaha.

Why would you say that Pokemon Emerald is a top game? Personally, third generation didn't do much for me at all... second was definitely the best!

Which aspects of linguistics are you interested in? I'm doing a minor program in linguistics, and I love the sociolinguistic aspect, and all that goes into the process of acquiring languages and all, but I really despise technical things like syntax.
My love for Emerald is mostly relative. I'm of the group who think Ruby/Sapphire were great games, and I think Emerald fixed every mistake they made that wasn't in the vein of "it was in Gold/Silver, but they took it out." Plus, its Battle Frontier is miles more fun and creative than the ones in Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver. The only misstep Emerald made in my opinion is giving the player access to a Lv70 Rayquaza before battling the E4; although whether or not that is a bad thing is up for debate. :ninja:

That said, Gold/Silver is indeed my favorite duo of games, but Crystal did not much improve them (mostly because there was not much to improve). My least favorite duo of Pokémon games is Diamond/Pearl; I never understood why people loved those so much. They were terrible Pokémon games. Platinum fixed most of their more objective problems, but it did not fix the more subjective ones; for example, I hate Sinnoh, its Pokémon (with a few exceptions) and especially its music. In comparison, I think Gold/Silver have the best overall music, and Ruby/Sapphire have the best route themes and region.

I like linguistics mostly in etymology and syntax; blame it on my love for history and for programming, respectively. :P Part of the universe I'm building is a brand new developed language: Laer liuncoro Rahtourior ("It is called Rahtourior"). It has its own alphabet, but I obviously cannot write it out like that here :XD:.
ScribbleBees Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I agree; Diamond and Pearl weren't that great at all. But, I guess once you redo the same thing so many times, you have to have a loser in there somewhere :B

My syntax course was the bane of my existence last semester, and the first half of my morphology class this semester (before we got a new, better teacher) was just as horrible. I just can't deal with all that technical, picky stuff...
I agree; Diamond and Pearl weren't that great at all. But, I guess once you redo the same thing so many times, you have to have a loser in there somewhere :B

Funny thing: Before Black and White were announced, I was beginning to think that I just hated Diamond and Pearl due to a nostalgia conflict, i.e. "It's not Gold/Silver, so it SUCKS." But then I played White and enjoyed it, so I found out that I legitimately think D/P are cow poop.

My syntax course was the bane of my existence last semester, and the first half of my morphology class this semester (before we got a new, better teacher) was just as horrible. I just can't deal with all that technical, picky stuff...

Ah... I can see that kind of stuff being annoying to learn. Granted, I learn grammar and syntax quickly and it sticks (I can remember how to arrange a sentence in Spanish perfectly, but I forgot at least half of the words), but the super complex stuff... I don't know. Especially for the languages that are extremely different from English, like Finnish, and Japanese, and Old English. :P
ScribbleBees Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah, I liked B/W more than D/P (though I still had some gripes with B/W that they have mostly fixed with B/W2, like how in B/W you could only catch 5th gen Pokemon until you beat the Elite Four, which irritated me endlessly!).

Oh, word order and stuff isn't really that hard; that's actually one of the easiest mental parameters, if you will, it reset when learning a language. What I mean is that in my syntax course, a lot of it was about theories of how people think that languages are underlyingly structured, so we would have to draw all these trees and all showing all kinds of crazy movement, working off of the idea that for the most part, a lot of things move to totally different places by the time they're actually pronounced. It was just tedious, and I didn't quite get the point of it.
UltimateRidley Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I liked B/W more than D/P (though I still had some gripes with B/W that they have mostly fixed with B/W2, like how in B/W you could only catch 5th gen Pokemon until you beat the Elite Four, which irritated me endlessly!).

My problem with that is how they executed it.

"This new Unova region is so brand new and so far away from the other regions that you will not find any old Pokémon there."

"By the way, the eastern half is like 90% old Pokémon."

Oh, word order and stuff isn't really that hard; that's actually one of the easiest mental parameters, if you will, it reset when learning a language. What I mean is that in my syntax course, a lot of it was about theories of how people think that languages are underlyingly structured, so we would have to draw all these trees and all showing all kinds of crazy movement, working off of the idea that for the most part, a lot of things move to totally different places by the time they're actually pronounced. It was just tedious, and I didn't quite get the point of it.

Ahh... yeah that does seem kind of silly.

However, regarding the "theories of how people think that languages are underlyingly structured" part, there was an etymological study concerning all basic languages' tendency to create words for different colors... all in the exact same order. Like all basic languages dating back to when we first definitively had language would come up first with words for black and white, the two extremes. The third color each language would name is red, presumably because of blood. Then green, to describe the flora, and then blue, to describe the sky. All basic languages would come up with words for those colors in the exact same order, or very similar orders. Orange and purple would be one of the later ones because they don't appear as often in nature, which also explains why humans generally see orange and purple as "exotic" colors, no matter what cultural background they have. Just thought that was interesting.
ScribbleBees Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah, I understand what they were aiming for with making it Unova Pokemon only, but... eugh. I really disliked it.

Ah, the whole thing with colors was discussed in a sociolinguistics course I took. In some cases, a language won't even have a black/white distinction; it's more of a dark/light distinction, all very relative. In the same class, we discussed how some languages don't have numbers like we do in English and a lot of other languages (1, 2, 3, 4...). Rather, some might have a number system such as "one, more than one, a lot more than one," or perhaps "one, two, a little (but still greater than two), a lot." People who speak these languages have trouble conceptualizing numbers as our language uses them and really struggle with math. Just goes to show how language really does shape how we experience the world in a way...
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Nov 22, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hello

My interests are.....

games: FFX, FFVII crisis Core, Dissidia012, Twilight Princess, Fire Emblem, KH2, KH 358/2 days, KH birth by sleep, Persona3

anime/manga: naruto, one piece, bleach, fate/stay night, fate/zero, gintama, vampire knight
:iconavatar-pony:
Avatar-Pony Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hi
Add a Comment: