Closed to new replies
November 16, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 37

sorta new and ART focused...

:iconbeth4452:
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I used Deviant art in the past but had let my account go inactive for a while, and was also clogged by oooooooold artwork.
So I'm starting fresh! I've been really focused on sketching and improving my skills the last year, and have been pleased with the results, so I hope you check it out.(Advice and constructive criticism is always welcome!) I'm just a hobbyist, but its something I'm passionate about.
I'm hoping to meet some other folks who love art as much as I do!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Flagged as Spam
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm going to say thank you although I think something may have been lost in translation lol
:iconechoplexsermon:
EchoplexSermon Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Welcome back. You have some lovely line work. I have to say I dig the atmosphere of your work :nod:
Thanks so much!
:iconechoplexsermon:
EchoplexSermon Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Yup, yup.
:iconnameda:
Nameda Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Professional General Artist
welcome back to dA :)
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
thanks!
Nameda Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
its a pleasure
I enjoyed your photographs! Thanks for the warm welcome.
Nameda Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Professional General Artist
its a pleasure :) if ya have any questions feel free to come to me and ask
Will do, appreciate it!
Nameda Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional General Artist
:)
:iconappledeer:
AppleDeer Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Lol, I know how it feels to have old art around.
Welcome back to DA! I'm new here myself and everyone so far has been so nice!
I looove art and plushies!!!
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I've enjoyed being back so far! What sort of plushies do you collect?
Oh gosh, I love the food with faces but they're always so expensive!!
Right now, it's a bear obsession xD
Awesome! And yes the world of collectible "toys" can be expensive lol...
Rotfl!
Hence why I'm gonna start making my own
I have two planned, I just need to get together with my mentor and learn the basics :3
Kinda hard when we both have kids and husbands in the Army XD
Well good luck with that! I have such a soft spot for little cute things that I have more little cute things than room to actually keep them....
Rotfl!!!
I know right! XD
:iconphinnimonster:
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   General Artist
Starting fresh sounds good, I still have the same account I had 4 years ago but sometimes I think about making a new account. (I'm rather attached to this one, though.)
I like your drawings, especially that one of the deer! Will you be posting coloured pieces as well?
Sketching and linework are my strengths, but I have people ask why I don't try something in color. I got a lovely piece of advice from an illustrator about working in a color or two to begin with and working my way into full colored pieces, which sounded like something I could work on. Thanks so much for the kind comments!
:iconphinnimonster:
Phinnimonster Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   General Artist
Sounds like a good tip. I have trouble with color, myself- it's something I need lots of practice on.
You're welcome!
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Welcome back. :)

What are some of your interests?
Well aside from art I also play guitar, am addicted to animated films (especially Studio Ghibli stuff), play video games, love to read, enjoy the theater, and love kids which I work with every day! I'm pretty much a quiet introverted person and I go in for anything artistic/creative and not too loud or crazy lol. I also collect vinyl art like Dunnies and anything by Amanda Visell. What about you?
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nice!

What animated movies in particular?

Any particular kind of books?

Yeah, I am the same there as you, actually, with the introversion and such. :nod:

Ooh.. so expensive stuff? :O
No I've only splurged on one expensive figurine (The What-did-I-eat-ephunt in 'Jamboree!), I stick with the mini blind boxes mostly lol. They're between 10-15$ a piece.
I grew up watching classic Disney films and those still provide alot of inspiration for me. "Jungle Book" in particular has amazing hand drawn animation sequences. Later in life I discovered Studio Ghibli ("My Neighbor Totoro", "Spirited Away", "Howl's Moving Castle"), and fell in love with the story telling. I've seen pretty much everything Myazaki ever put his hands on. Also love Pixar, "Wall-E", "UP" etc. and stop motion like "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Coraline".
I'm really a picky reader, but will read from (nearly) any genre. I have a thing for folklore/fairytales, but also enjoy classics, historical (fiction and non), poetry, and really anything with good storytelling and character development. I've even gotten into Camilla D'Errico's "Tanpopo" and Kirkman's "Walking Dead" lately, even though I've never been a graphic novel reader. My book shelf's got everything from Seuss to Dickens to Dean Koontz lol.
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh right, I see. :O

That's.. pretty damn expensive. :O

Pretty cool, though! I know what you mean there. I've seen most of what you've listed. :D

Ooh, I see.. o.O

What is your ultimate favourite?
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Book or movie? It's hard to pick one ultimate favorite anything for me, but "My neighbor Totoro" is a movie I watched every day of my life as a child and can still watch a bazillion times and it feels
the same and is as much fun. I have to say "Peter and Wendy" is the one story thats always fascinated me.
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Ah.. that's pretty awesome. :O

Why that one?
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Why Peter Pan? I love children's books anyway, and to me its the "perfect" children's work. It has these great bitersweet, even dark undertones, contrasted with a whimsical narrative style and sense of fantasy. When you read the plays, and "The Little White Bird" you begin to realize the hidden themes of death and life, and the fine line between reality and make believe you start to understand how complex of a character Pan actually is. I've always been really inspired by it. It's always felt to me like there's more to the story than what the author tells you, which makes it really
interesting to me.
(1 Reply)
:iconjaymetwins:
jaymetwins Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Hi! Nice sketches! I love your linework! :D And your concepts/designs are very intriguing.

Love art as well. Thinking that I'm a hobbyist as well, but it shifts once in a while. But I'm definitely self-taught and developing. :)

Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you as well! I'm working on developing my ideas into something that actually is SAYING something you know? There's some theme there but I'm working towards really being expressive with it and articulating it.
I enjoyed your gallery as well can definitely see the disney influence! I like character design type stuff!
jaymetwins Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Cool. What kind of things do you usually like to express through your artwork? I like that your gallery is mostly composed of sketches. That's my favorite kind of art. :meow: I gave you a watch. ;)

Thanks for having a look around my gallery. Glad you enjoyed it. It's nice to know that one of my drawing influences are reflected in my works. :)
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm really inspired by things relating to femininity, innocence, and connection to nature. Fairytales and folklore are a huge influence.
I struggled with my sense of femininity
growing up, and was probably an adult before I figured out how to be comfortable in my own skin and in defining my own sense of femininity. Drawing these female characters is away of exploring and expressing that more.
Animals and especially birds are attempting to influence the person in the picture in some way, or sometimes just protect them, so they could represent various things (like your subconscious, your past, your youth or innocence, memories, etc.)
But I like to keep things just sort of natural and let it be what it is or what it might be to someone looking at it. I consider making art really personal and sort of for myself even though I like to share it, so whatever symbolism is usually something personal I'm thinking about or dealing with.
Anyway, that was a mouthful! I could definitely see the influence, is your art very character driven?
jaymetwins Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Wow. Those are interesting perspectives. Do you mind me asking how you struggled with your femininity?

My art I feel is neither here nor there, but I'd say they are more character/concept driven. I'm still developing, definitely. =) Just trying to master the basics first before I tackle anything more in depth, you know?
beth4452 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Definitely understand! And I don't really mean in a sexuality sense (I've never been attracted to women) but my mother wasn't very invoved in my life when I was young and I was raised by a single dad and my grandparents. I had a lot of insecurities due to not having a real strong female role model (my grandmother and I butted heads more than anything), noone to show me how to say, fix my hair etc. I was naturally shy to begin with but developed for whatever reason a really low sense of self esteem. That, coupled with being a "creative" person made it difficult to relate to what society thinks a girl is supposed to be. I sort rejected alot of that. I was kind of a tomboy, which I think would have been ok if I would have felt good about myself and not felt like I had to project "toughness" because of insecurities. As I became older I learned that being a woman is a unique and wonderful experience and doesn't have to be defined by society. I became comfortable in my own skin and less depressed, and realized I could put effort into my appearance as a way of expressing myself and taking pride in myself, not necesarily as having to fulfill some pre defined role. I accepted the things that happened to me in my childhood (mom had a mental illness, grandmother was overbearing, divorce, moving alot etc.), and was able to make peace with myself. Even after acceptingthat its "ok" to be a girl, and that I could define that however I chose without running away from it, it was still a struggle at times because as I mentioned I didn't know (at the time) many if any strong women to be an example for me.
Judging from what I see in society, I'm not the only one who felt like this. I think people struggle these days to have a sense of identity. I like the idea of showing that being female doesn't have to mean exactly what society projects it to mean. That you can define it in your own way, and not have to reject it just because you feel disconnected from what society thinks you should be.
Add a Comment: