Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

I'm new and need help =\

:iconmalekor:
malekor Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Okay... first of all I'd like to say... WOW! This community is so fantastic and there are just so many talented people here.

Anyways, I'll try to keep this short, my name is Ramsay and I am 16. I am in a vocational highschool as a sophomore and I am in a creative design and media shop. I came upon this site and was amazed by how great the art is... and it made me go back to my roots as a kid watching a special features segment on Concept Artists for Star Wars...

Regardless of my background... I have found an extreme love for digital painting. I prefer concept art, and the whole fantasy landscape and realism of characters idea... I favorited a ton of work that is similar to what I like.

I have a copy of the Adobe Master Collection which has photoshop... and I have an Intuos 4 wacom tablet... But I can't draw. But I have the passion and determination to stick with it.. so can anyone recomend me in the right direction, or be a mentor to me... I would love to make this a career one day... and one of my dreams is to create either a graphic novel or a 2D animated series. I WILL do it... I just need help starting my artistic career...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello! Welcome to DA!

Absolutely the most important thing to do is what *shininginthedarkness said, no one can help or give you pointers if they can't see what level you're at or what kind of mistakes you're making. No matter how bad you might think it is, absolutely post you work up and don't delete it either if it starts ageing. It's always good
to keep a record of older works to compare your level of improvement. I'm a wannabe manga artist who's been drawing for about 18 years. I'm no professional by any means but I think I could help critique and point you to some resources once I can gauge where you're at. Even though manga isn't what you want to do, it has elements in some of the things you favourited and all art has the same basic foundations anyway. I added you to my watch list but you're welcome to poke me if you want me to critique or give advice on specific works. I watch a lot of groups and deviants (hundreds of watch messages a day) so sometimes I miss
people's latest uploads in a flurry of delete message clicks since I can't look at everything. :lol:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012   Digital Artist
In regards to the forums. Please lurk a bit first before posting anywhere else so you get the unspoken rules.

In regards to your art, practice alot. whatever it is that you want to focus on, study it alot, and try to recreate it.

Good luck to you.
:iconfortress2660:
Fortress2660 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Digital Artist
You may want to try Corel painter 12. Really good for digital paintings.
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Hiya, welcome to the community :hug:

I recommend you either start posting some things and go from there to improve, or keep practicing until you reach a level where you're comfortable with sharing it. Only once you start submitting art, you have a chance of getting helpful feedback to it. But whether you submit already or not, you can browse tutorials, and most importantly, browse art from other not-very-well-known artists (I recommend setting the front page to 'newest') and give them feedback. That's one of the best ways to learn :)
If it sucks I don't mind sharing it. Hopefully the community isn't vicious :o thank you for the advice though, I'll definitely do the stuff you said :D
:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Interface Designer
You're welcome, have fun and good luck :)
:iconfrosen24:
fROSEn24 Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
i wont be vicious we artist got to stick together message me if u need help with anything
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Step One: Post some stuff in your gallery!
I'm honestly terrible. I'm really good at Photoshop but my drawing skills arent that great... should I still post stupid drawings anyway?
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Yes. How can anyone give you advice if they have no clue where you're at? And you can participate in the community and stuff. It's cool.
Add a Comment: