A photographer is born

First of all, hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

So I'm not a new deviant as such - I've had my account for years but only recently submitted any art. I've just begun learning photography (for a second time - I learnt back in school but have since forgetten) and have already taken some images that I'm proud of and want others to enjoy.

I'm using a DSLR that was bought for us as a wedding gift, along with a couple of lenses and accessories I purchased since. My favourite is a prime 50mm f/1.8 lens - you'll probably notice it used a lot in the photos I'll submit! :P

I hope that some of you find my images pleasing, and I'd greatly appreciate any comments or advice you'd like to give (please do this on the actual image rather than here so that I know which image you're discussing).

Also, if any new or experienced photographers want to get in touch, feel free! We can always use more inspiration and ideas, right?

Jamie (monotone2k)
Comments47
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I will defintly put some up today xD
I have a tripod,but it's a £2 one from the Euro shop xD It's not great.
It's still better than nothing! You should try longer exposures now that you're not relying on handheld :)
Defiantly, I will :P It's been awfully cloudy recently, and drizzly, so haven't been taking many photos xD
Cloud and rain are no excuse! Wait til I finish eating and I'll post today's photos :)
Lmao, okay xD I took some pictures this morning, I like it, but My landscapes just always seem to come out fuzzy, even when I use a tripos,I have no idea why :( Class!
Do you use auto-focus or manual? If they're fuzzy, it's probably your focus being slightly off. :)
Auto focus,My camera doesn't do Manual :( I was hoping to get a new one, but I gave up, my parents got me a horse :O So I'll upgrade when I get everything I possibly can.

It's my most recent photo :)
View all replies
Nice! How are you? what do you like to photograph?
Hey :) I'm great - how are you?

I haven't decided yet what I like to shoot. Feel free to take a look through my gallery - it's a bit of a mixed bag so far :P
I'm good!

I shall. :hug:
`Hello! I don't have a DSLR (unfortunately) but I have a Fuljufilm S4500 bridge. It's my first camera,but I'm not too new to photography.
Hey!

A bridge is a good start if you don't have anything better. I noticed you don't have any photos submitted - do you have any to share with us? :)
Thank you!
It's such a hassle to upload pictures from it xD I usually upload thm to here:
[link]

I forgot my password recently for it though, so I haven't uploaded some stuff in a while :/ Hopefully I'll get some up to DA this week :)
I love the 'dandypuff' closeup shot :) Have you considered using a tripod, or even flash, so that you can get steadier/faster shots? The composition of your shots is generally good but some are a little blurred :)

You should definitely get your best shots on here!
Hey guys. I'm still very much a beginner, and haven't yet found my style or favourite subjects. I'm more technically minded than creative, so while I know how to create the images, I struggle to find them in the first place :D

I'm also a shift worker, so finding the time to get out and shoot is a problem. And then when I have the spare time (like right now), I'm too lazy to log off and go outdoors. Not a good mix :P

I love both of your work :D rainylake - the eagle owl photo is stunning! And Inkhi - 'daydream island sunset' is absolutely beautiful! :D

Those are the type of photo I want to be able to take. Guess I need to get out there more often.
Thank you ^^
I tend to get a bit lazy too when I'm off work, especially now that it's dark and wet and cold. Hopefully there'll be some great white opportunities this winter though. So we both have to get off our butts!
Definitely! I considered going out today, but I couldn't find my charger last night and both batteries were flat. By the time they were charged today, it was already getting dark.

I only wanted to go out for sunset/dusk, and possibly some light trails in the city centre - missed the opportunity now! :(
There is always a tomorrow. :) And can still do some light painting :3
Make sure to hit the "Reply" button so that the other person gets your message. :)
That would make sense. Didn't realise I hadn't :D

You also have some wonderful photos! I love Light and In Wonderland (10mm focal length? That's one hell of a lens you've got there) :)
Thank you!

Light was 50mm, and In Wonderland is 10mm, yes.

I was thinking of selling the 10mm one, actually... but I may just need to play with it more. I haven't shot anything in a very long time. ^^;

What about you and your gear? :D
I have the kit 18-55mm, an 18-200mm that was given to me, and a 50mm prime. The prime is my favourite but I tend to take all three out with me.

I gotta say, I'm very tempted to get a wide angle lens - but having a cropped sensor means it's gonna be more expensive to get the same angles that could be achieved for far less on a full frame camera. :(

I recently bought a decent tripod so that I can do longer exposures and also eliminate camera shake (even some of my faster handheld shots came out a little blurred).
Ah, that's a pretty awesome range!

Yes! I know what you mean there. The prime is mine as well. :D

It's better to take as many as you can.. but it sucks when you're exchanging them and whatnot. :hmm:

That's true.. but then a full frame camera is very expensive anyway, so.. you've got to compromise, I suppose. :hmm:

That's great! How are you finding the use of the tripod and whatnot?
I try not to change lenses too often, even if I have them all with me. Too much time messing with the kit means lots of time missing opportunities. In fact, I should probably start going out with an actual goal in mind, and take only the kit I think I'll need.

The tripod is awesome. Couldn't have done the river shot without it - I wanted to be able to do longer exposures, which is obviously something quite tricky handheld! :P Even for stationary subjects, it's nice to be able to choose an aperture and stick to ISO100, then not worry whether it's too slow for handheld or not :)
View all replies