Great suggestion regarding making people comment more on artist's work

I think it would be a great idea to make it so, if a deviant FAVORITES a deviation, then the page pops down to the comment section and says 'don't forget to leave a comment', and the little blinky line thing that tells you are ready to write is already in the box, waiting to be typed.

I think the mass majority of people don't comment because they are bloody lazy. Anyway, I think this idea is brilliant as it was first used on a site called Shadowness.com (go to that site and favorite something, you'll see what I mean if you don't understand) and my god it was helpful.

Anyway... yeah.. I just think it would be awesome if Deviantart started doing that, because it's a good way for artists to get more feedback on their work, without it being an inconvenience to deviants or anything... yeah it's early, I don't know what I'm thinking. ;_; or talking about...
Comments84
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I would like to be angry at you, OP...But I see where you're coming from.

dA is the massive issue here. An ENTIRE thread of posts about how this is a shitty idea - and yet they decided to implement THIS rather than all the other stuff a lot of people have been asking for...? Perfect sense, dA.
dA already said this is a bug: [link] (see the last comment by $namenotrequired)
I think it's been fixed now. It doesn't do it for me anymore.
Yeah, you're right, looks like they fixed it. :phew:
Uh wow. Most people on this site will comment if they feel like it. We had enough of a reminder with the little "don't forget to comment!" balloon. If they didn't comment with the first reminder, they're not going with a little push-push nudge-nudge towards the comment box. Now my computer freezes whenever it's forced to jump to the bottom of the page. I'm rather inclined to fav or comment much less now, thanks. :bored:

This is more a comment to the staff that implemented it, than you who merely suggested it.
Oh, actually, okay. I'm actually kind of sorry for you though. Because a lot of people probably aren't that happy with you. So sorry. It wasn't your fault it was actually turned into a thing. But still. Just. ;lkjfdaslk;add;lf
Thank you, I'm glad some people understand.
I understand, but I'm sure that you can see (after numerous replies) how some people might not want this and why it could potentially be a bad idea, yes?
Alright. Dude. So, I saw this just now. And the idea is okay. In fact, the meaning is great.

BUT NOW IT'S HERE

And. Just. Seriously. Okay. This isn't forcing people to comment. This is forcing people to either make comments that are half-assed or just favorite thumbnails. Both not that appreciated. :iconsotiredplz:

But really, they already have the "Please leave a comment" little chat bubble thing there. No need to further push the people. If they find it worthy of commenting, they will.

But this is good for the spamming favoriters at least.
This is super annoying and I WANT IT OFF.
People on here are indeed too lazy to leave a comment when they fav and think a meaningless click of a button says everything, but the screen jumping to the comments section when you fav would be extremely annoying. Can't force people to comment if they don't want to/have nothing to say.
You couldn't be more wrong, dude. It's not that I'm too lazy, it's that I don't know what to say that isn't meaningless or stupid. .-. And a fave is not meaningless, I actually prefer faves to comments. The fact that someone liked one of my ugly drawings enough to say "I like it!" with a +fave, it's more than a good compliment to me. Some also use Faves as a bookmark, in case they want to find the drawing again.
I wasn't saying that EVERYONE is lazy, although I get the impression that the vast majority are, I do understand that some people lack the time to write something or don't have anything to say at the time/don't want to repeat something someone's already said. Sometimes I fav stuff with the intention of commenting on it or having a closer look later. People view favs differently though. To some people like myself they don't mean anything, and to others like yourself they do mean something, and then there's those that don't care either way.

And your art isn't ugly in the slightest, you have a very cute style :)
When someone uses the term "vast majority" without having actual polling data to back it up they're almost certainly wrong.
And what if they have nothing to say? What if they simply don't have time. And for that matter what if they simply don't care enough on a lot of pictures. You're being a dick calling everyone "lazy" who doesn't comment. I have a full time job and simply don't have time to comment on every picture. Maybe when you grow up you'll realize that to some people free even a few minutes of time is precious.

I use favorites not so much to tell the artist/photographer I like a picture, but to be able to find it easier in the future. To me it's like a "cloud" variant of a folder on my hard drive. When I comment it's usually because something about it resonates more deeply than "yep it looks good." I'd say 50% of my comments are asking about technique another 25% are about technical details on pictures of things like vehicles and a final 25% are responding to similar comments.
Oh wow, that's sooo mature of you to resort to insulting someone on a comment that wasn't even directed at you.
Hi, you must be new here and by here I mean the Internet. From what I can see the initial comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular and was responding to the thread as a whole.
I really don't see how this was considered a good idea at all. I never leave a comment because I don't see the reason to. Not because I'm 'lazy', but because I don't have anything to say. Ever. The entire site was inconvenienced for a small handful of people who were too lazy to scroll down and leave their 'hi this is cool' comments.

WTF are you doing DA. Implement features people actually -want-, may as well make the comment box seizure inducing black and white flicker to help people comment too - or close favorites and only permit commenting. Weird they picked this of all things.

Not 'angry at you' like you think people are, rather, annoyed with DA for picking a dumb and inconvenient idea to spend their time on.

I've stopped favoriting things more, now to avoid this.
Ehh, that would get pretty annoying. I only comment when i feel like a deviation deserves a comment. Or if they ask for feedback. Other than that, i don't comment unless something really strikes my fancy or catches my eye. We already have the "Don't forget to comment!" bubble that pops up, i don't think we should be forcing the "Please comment" concept down people's throats any further than what's already been implemented. :c
+1. I really dislike this idea; people should be allowed to browse how they want.
Isn't it nice that this was silently implemented?
It actually does the opposite for me, it makes want to NOT comment anymore. People don't respond well to being forced.

Going to drag thumbs to my favorites until this goes away again...

(I understand you don't control the site, so please don't take this personal. Just venting :))
I feel the exact same way *sigh*
*finds art I like*

*favourite*

*close tab* :trollface: