A few suggestions: Watermarks, blocked members, managing watchers

Firstly, would love to give a huge thanks to dA for recently implementing the username change -- you've made me and a lot of friends pretty happy!

I had a few suggestions, and rather than uploading them individually I thought it'd help keep the forum tidier as a bundle (sorry if I'm wrong!)

Watermarks
    I thought it would be a good idea if we could design and upload our own watermarks to be used. That way we can check the box, select our custom watermark and huzzuh! Ease of use. It would also be a bonus if there was no opacity, that way we could select our own levels of opacity on photoshop, SAI etc (I found dA's watermarks to be much too low in opacity for my liking D:).

Blocked Members
    I saw 'Fully block another user' on the common suggestions but wasn't completely sure what it entailed. Either way, my suggestion was that when you block a user, they can't see your artwork, journals, page, ANYTHING!
    I recently blocked someone who's been stealing my artwork and using it for roleplaying purposes on gaiaonline, but feel very discomforted by the fact they can still view my artwork and page. :/

Managing Watchers
    Since it's your gallery, your work and your updates, I thought it'd be fair to be able to manage the people who watch you. I have a countless number of banned/inactive/account-dead watchers, art thieves and trolls I'd love to boot off the list.
    Call me OCD, but I hate having 2.5k watchers and knowing I don't deserve that number/it's not accurate.
Comments68
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
What you say about "Blocked Members" is exactly what the 'common suggestion' is - it would be cool but simply impossible :)

And about 3... FAQ #68: Can I remove someone who is watching me? :D
Ah, I wasn't sure myself, but thank you very much! :D
fAQ#68, I love you. Feel silly for not finding it myself. Alas, I hope Suggestion 2 gets a bit of attention * V * )

Thanks again ♥ Greatly appreciated
No problem! :hug:

Well, a few people already mentioned 2 isn't possible :P
..shhhh let me live my dream :iconcryforeverplz:
As others have said...notification! However thanks to this I've learned a few more things about DA, and I do like the watermark idear since one can already personalize the literary sidebars last I knew of (unless that was removed).

Though...now I fear being blocked ;_; And mildly ponder cleaning up my list watchers, though not as epic as some such as yourself XD
these are all wonderful ideas and I completely agree
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID HERE... ouo I would really like the watermark idea a lot!
I kinda like the watermark idea. I hardly ever use the dA watermark since it usually blocks too much of my deviation (or too little) and on dark deviations it sticks out in a horrible way, so I constantly use my own, but if I could just upload and then select it here it would save me a bit of work. :)
blocked members suggestion is a common suggestion that will not work. Watermarks suggestion has been suggested before.
BLUNTMUCH.
Blocked members - yeah, about 39439 people before you justified that. Watermark isn't on the sticky, so as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't. e v e )/
Oh I think I saw something about a design your own watermark suggestion thing in a DD... can't quite remember where it was. OTL
You expected me to sugar-coat and be nice to you? HA! Only a few did. Also, if you did a forum search you would've seen it.
That was the quickest block ever. I can't believe how thin skinned someone can be from one little comment and I wasn't even mean to them. Goes to show how weak people are. *adds another notch to the belt*
Oh sorry, I didn't know my block would distress you :( If you'd like to reply now, feel free! But please note me. I'd rather keep all things irrelevant to the topic off of the thread, which you could probably understand.
Oh please, you just unblocked me to look good. The moment you post anything in a public forum, you're subjected to any comment. I got a feel you wanted asskissing for obvious suggestions. Please lurk next time before suggesting.
Okay thank you very much for your input ; v ; )/
View all replies
I don't expect sugar-coats, hun, I expect intellect. Last time I checked, the forum was for smart discussion and not condescending remarks. - If you are looking for the latter, feel free to try gaiaonline as referenced in one of my suggestions! :'D

If you are going to dislike an idea, I believe it is best sourced with justification or else it holds little to no value and will most likely be overlooked by the admins, which defeats the purpose of even replying to a suggestion in the suggestion's thread. It's the common rule of point, explanation and reason - I believe such is taught in the younger grade English classes.

As for 'if you did a forum search you would've seen it.', I accept such is a fair point. Now if you'd done similar and looked through the comments already posted on this suggestion, you would have found that `nokari has already critiqued flaws, as well as many members of the community, with viable reasoning behind it. - Might I add their reasons are all very sound and I accept their opinions.

Furthermore, here's a copy pasta from dA's Etiquette Policy to help you on your way:
"We encourage interactivity and we allow comments to be either positive or negative in nature providing that they remain constructive and promote a worthwhile dialogue."

But alas, thank you so much for your fruitful input. :)
omg i love the watermark idea

DEVIANTARTAND PHOTOBUCKET HAVE SAVED MY LIFE SOBS when i could never find my original pieces for being lost on flashdrives or crashed computers or i dont even know maybe just named stupidly so i could never find them in a crucial moment of making a portfolio.
Blocked Members
I saw 'Fully block another user' on the common suggestions but wasn't completely sure what it entailed. Either way, my suggestion was that when you block a user, they can't see your artwork, journals, page, ANYTHING!
I recently blocked someone who's been stealing my artwork and using it for roleplaying purposes on gaiaonline, but feel very discomforted by the fact they can still view my artwork and page. :/

That is what the sticky is talking about. It's not possible to fully block people from viewing your page, because they can easily see it by logging out or switching to a different account. If someone continues to bug you, try to ignore them and block them. If they use alt accounts or continually try to harass you in other ways, report them to the +help desk and they will look into it.

Managing Watchers
Since it's your gallery, your work and your updates, I thought it'd be fair to be able to manage the people who watch you. I have a countless number of banned/inactive/account-dead watchers, art thieves and trolls I'd love to boot off the list.
Call me OCD, but I hate having 2.5k watchers and knowing I don't deserve that number/it's not accurate.

You can already do this by blocking them. As soon as you block someone, they get booted from watching you. I personally don't do this though, because not everyone who has a ! symbol is gone permanently. Occasionally bans are lifted for various reasons and people who deactivate get 30 days to reactivate their account, and I know some people use it as a way to "get away" from dA for a while and focus on their personal lives a bit.
Aye, I wasn't sure what the sticky entailed exactly...but yep, always the issue of them logging out I guess! D':

As for the managing watchers I didn't know you could remove them via blocking until a watcher of mine told me so. Pretty nifty trick. Shame I can't edit the forum post though (which is ironically also in the sticky from what I've read ;D )

But thanks for the insight * V * )!
If you gave the resources to design a watermark yourself, why are you unable to put them on the image yourself?
Because dA already gives the option to install a watermark, so why not upload your own version? You kind of just questioned dA's feature itself.

I have further reasons for wanting this feature, though:
If my hard drives failed (and then my two backups. God forbid, but it can happen) and I lost all my artwork, or I was using another computer etc etc, I'd have to rely on my deviantART gallery for my images. If I put watermarks on the png/jpeg itself, all the artwork I'd get back would be watermarked. However, dA gives you the option to remove your watermarks and so huzzuh, artist gets back watermark-free art. / = v = )/ ........ But sadly, the default is damn ugly so I'd like my own.
Furthermore, I'm OCD and whenever I watermark my work it looks different from one to the other. This feature would allow consistency yayyyy.

IDK I thought it was pretty straight forward... :iconmaximumderpplz:
Second suggestion: That's exactly what they're saying in the sticky. There's no point since they can just log out to see your work if it's set up that way.