Mod-Privileges For Victims Of Constant Harrassment

Comment Flagged as Spam
Comments431
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Old thread, plus the issue has been overadressed, it seems.

:lock:
*sigh*
The day I'll see !ChadSyphrett, I shall be delighted.
As will I. !ChadSyphrett will be something to be awaited for.

Really, we have all given him our advice, sage or not, and he has gone and ignored it. I say it is time to call the staff to arms, and have them lightly prod Chad with the pointy end of the ban hammer.

He has a strange and insane strategy. Block all those whom touch him, at least the ones who don't give him a pat on the lower back. And an even more insane solution: Join the Government. Sad thing is, I think he could very well end up in a padded room, with bars in the door, and a straitjacket.

...OK, perhaps that would not be so sad. But the sad thing is, is that I view it as such, due to the 'Chad's' actions.
Sorry, but no.
IN SIGHT OF NEW EVIDENCE, AND DUE TO THE ERASED JOURNALS:
Chadling, I took a good long search. Actually, it was rather short on ED. Out of all of ED, only one user is pointing their cross hairs at you. A single user. As of a less than 15 minutes ago check of that site.

Somehow, this lowers your whole credibility. I don't know how, but I have gone from sarcastic to extremely skeptical, with a dash of sarcastic. Actually, now I am down cynical and unsympathetic.

And as mentioned in my last reply, the line by line, you should really not be as much as slightly concerned over that site. Much less so, a single user. Look, they are just the ugly mafia hit list. And just that, a list. They won't actively go to your location and make fun of you, unless you know them personally, but in that case, you can learn to not be affected by other humans opinions, duh. You are you, duh. They are not you.

I somehow highly doubt joining the government is going to help you much. Actually, if I were a member of the government, I would reject your application, call you paranoid, and send you packing, with a kind suggestion: 'My good man, I mean this in the best of terms, and this may seem to be a rather gratuitous insult, but for the love of all of what is left of your dignity, Grow a Spine!'
Ok, umm I had doubts about posting this at all, but I got this link from one of my friends and they were saying how intolerant you are about others own opinions. Now I agree with you something should be done about REAL stalkers and harassers. But honestly you falsely accuse people of being trolls and stalkers, I'd love to help you find real people that are concerning on deviantArt but honestly you don't attack them at all, you only attack people that disaggree with you. Sorry if I angered you at all, but I find it a little ridiculous, and sorry but I also disagree with giving so many people rights to ban, I've seen chatrooms gone out of control, Im not going to mention them for I still love the sake of the owners, but it turned out to be a wreck. Sorry for waisting a bit of time of your day though, other than that I hope you have a nice day! :)
Shouldn't this thread be locked already? It seems to go on...and on...and on. :slyfart:
I don't think it should necessarily be locked, but why people are still pointing out that this suggestion isn't great is something one should wonder about. I mean, there's quite a few pages of people disagreeing with Chad (mixed in with him bawwing, claiming people are trolls, etc.), so shouldn't it be obvious that no one likes the idea?

Just saying ._.
The jig is up, guys! He called in the government and now the G Men are reviewing server data.

It was nice while it lasted, DeviantArt. We'll see each other soon, in the gulag.
The government actually gives a shit!?
Alright, I shall attempt to break down my thoughts per line break.
1. I am unsure what the situation is/what you did to attract such attention. Some type of evidence or at least a inkling of something would help. Also, this is what the help desk is for, not suggestions. If you are being harassed, block usernames and report them to the desk O' doom.

2. That particular wiki exists to make fun and hurt anything that would happen to come up to the surface. Admittedly, there are a lot of weirdos and idiots here, to be frank and blunt. No surprise a site like that would have us on their 'hallowed' walls. Complaints about them only gets you added to their books, so don't do that.

4. Welcome to the internet. Also, have you ever considered that deviantArt does hire on a volunteer basis? If you truly want to become staff, move to Hollywood, CA, and seek out their HQ.

6. I must not get out much, as I don't see many open attacks. As for attacks on a profile, hide and report. All you can do.

8. We already have one. Just that the staff are not robots and have lives outside this site, silly.

9. Good. Now go volunteer the proper way, filling out the forms and work your way up.

10. Such privileges would be abused. I for example, on a bad day would suspend accounts for not capitalizing the beginning of their sentences, and forgetting to punctuate the ends.

11. I would suggest the same, but if they attract the buzzards and flies with the art, something must be up or outside the cultural norm to that sites eyes. Solution: Ignore the mainstream's opinion. It works for me, and it can work for you.

12. Again, the staff is small, and they are not robots. You do know the hours, and the holiday season is in full swing. They have a thread about that.

13. Good for you, your heart is in the right place. But what are we to do about the internet? Summon the legions of Something Awful to destroy 4chan and sites related? We would have to take out many sites, including the fountain of stupid, YouTube. Good luck with your personal mission.
I don't think I even need to say it at this point, but turning members--members who are angry and have been hurt in some capacity--into staff members, is an awful idea, for so many reasons. Even if you ,~ChadSyphrett, claim that you would be able to handle yourself appropriately with such powers, you can't speak on the behalf of others. To assume that everyone who has been significantly harassed, who has been granted moderator status, would behave in a fair, just way, is simply unrealistic. There will in fact be people out there seeking revenge, over-reacting, looking to abuse their powers, or attempt to obtain their power through unorthodox means, such as getting their friends to troll them. It would just be too impractical to implement, as several staff members have already mentioned. Adding to that, being asked to be a staff member is an honor and a privilege that is completely unrelated to internet drama and having feelings of entitlement.

However, I do have an alternative suggestion. Perhaps members who are frequently, legitimately harassed could be fast-tracked in the report system. If you for some reason have an ungodly number of people leaving hateful or abusive comments on your profile, in such a volume that you have exceeded you personal ability to block users from your page (The max is 100, I believe--) and the staff finds these posting to be legitimate forms of harassment, the user being affected could be tagged in the system in such a way that the staff could handle their reports in a more timely fashion, so that they aren't swamped with abusive comments. There are still issues with this--for instance, one wonders why a person would be so universally disliked--but even this would be a better solution to your troubles than becoming a moderator.

As for your issues with Encyclopedia Dramatica, deviantART has no jurisdiction whatsoever over that site's users or comments. They can't ban them, can't make them stop, can't stop them from joining deviantART based on what they've done elsewhere on the internet. My suggestion would be to contact someone from their website and complain directly.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly did you do to these people who are supposedly harassing you? I don't mean the people on this thread (Who are merely stating their opinions in a public venue, which they are entitled to do--) but the people off-site who you claim are joining dA and trolling you. People just don't gang up at random--clearly you did something to them. You either made a mountain out of a molehill over something small, which amused them, or you said something to anger one or more of them. I have trouble believing that they just found you one day and said, "Hey! Let's troll this kid!" Always be conscious of what you're saying. If something angers or offends you, don't reply immediately. Stop, take an hour to calm down, and reply rationally and dispassionately. If you rage at them, or tell them to "GTFO" or act like you're genuinely upset by what they're saying, they will use it against you, and make you more angry, which appears to be where you are now. For some people, it's a game, plain and simple. Don't make yourself a target. Keep filling reports for truly hateful remarks, let the less offensive ones roll off your back, and don't bother replying to any of them. Stop going to ED and reading what they're supposedly writing about you. Move on. :)
Perhaps members who are frequently, legitimately harassed could be fast-tracked in the report system. If you for some reason have an ungodly number of people leaving hateful or abusive comments on your profile, in such a volume that you have exceeded you personal ability to block users from your page (The max is 100, I believe--) and the staff finds these posting to be legitimate forms of harassment, the user being affected could be tagged in the system in such a way that the staff could handle their reports in a more timely fashion, so that they aren't swamped with abusive comments.

That's faaar better than Chad's idea here. Then again, he has alternatively harassed people in return (among other things), so in his case it doesn't matter. For members that really are being harassed in the manner you mentioned though, I think your idea might actually be something good for them ;)
It's an interesting idea, and in a perfect world, it would be a good one. However, us pesky humans and our personalities would get in the way of such a policy. Often those subject to severe and constant trolling have done something silly to warrant the attention of the internet community. Unfortunately, these people don't always have the maturity to distinguish between a bona fide troll and someone who is simply offering an opinion or idea.

The only way to implement a policy of this type would be to have a definition of trolling specific to dA, and to have the existing moderators (Who already have a myriad of other duties) keep an eye on what those with the 'anti-troll' privileges are doing with their newfound power. This would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to keep completely fair. Deviantart simply lacks the manpower to maintain fairness and objectivity with such a policy, or to make sure people requesting said privileges are not merely doing so in aid of a personal vendetta or because they're not mature enough to recognise actual malicious behaviour.

Plus, you would definitely get people exploiting the policy. All they would need to do is to have a few friends or other accounts of their own post some 'malicious' messages, and voila! They would have moderator capabilities, which isn't a good thing. The current moderators are all trustworthy people who are known to be mature enough not to abuse their privileges and to remain objective in disagreements, as well as being active members of the community.

There is no way dA could go around giving people moderator powers because somebody was being a big meanie, it'd cause complete chaos within the community.
Maybe if you acted like a normal human being instead of some whiny little bastard child people wouldn't harass you.
This right here is another good suggestion.
This thread made me giggle.

ED doesn't hate for no reason, you know.
Over five days of constant drama... and still not locked, despite that every single forum moderator has visited this thread in person? Wow, deviantART REALLY loves some lulz from time to time!
Is it a surprise that it isn't closed? This thread is better than cupcakes and chocolate ice cream combined! :XD:
I have decided to test your bold, purely scientific theory by making chocolate ice cream cupcakes.
We shall see.
I see that the Encyclopedia Dramatica entry is well deserved.
I guess I can sympathize with you in that I don't like it when people use mean words at me, either.

Though after reading the thread thoroughly, (and thanks for the laughs by the way because now I'm in a good mood) the following occurred to me:
Maybe you aren't the victim of trolling, but rather a slew of justified, desperate reality checks.