I want to use special symbols in deviations titles. ( Ñs & Tildes )

First at all, this is a copy of another post I write here. @FixMeKnow closed, wisely, the thread and suggest to move the post here, in "suggestions" forum.

Why DeviantArt don't allow to write special symbols in deviations titles?
Okey, DA it's a original Anglo-Saxon speak site, and English language don´t use very much "special symbols", but a LOT of other countries uses a LOT of symbols and signs who are very IMPORTANT and IMPRESCINDIBLE for the correct interpretation of the significant of the original titles.
Many Deviants use a "fake title" in the deviation title and write the "official title" in the "comment" box because can´t use that "estrange" symbols.

In Spanish there is a great difference between two words with the same calligraphy but with the difference of a single tilde (diacritical tilde), for example:

With tilde: Sí=Yes
Without tilde: Si=If

The letter Ñ, one of the most important letter in the Spanish language, forms a part of a very huge quantity of words in Spanish and is very RIDICULOUS, for a Spanish speaker, read things like "Espana" (España), "enganar" (engañar), "pano" (paño), etc...

-If I do a deviation entitled:

"El año del amor" (The year of love)

-Then DeviantArt entitled:

"El ano del amor" (The anus of love)
Ò.Ó

But, What's happen with other languages with a more complex calligraphy? I dont´t know, but I suppose that it will be much harder.

Please DeviantArt, allow us to write especial simbols in the Deviations titles! :)

PS: If you think it has been difficult to read my bad English, then you know who I feel when I read spanish words without tildes and Ñs. :)
Comments102
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Es estúpido que no nos dejen usar nuestros "símbolos especiales" (No solo a los hispanohablantes, sino también a otras culturas). Ellos no tienen problema porque mas que un idioma hablan un dialecto, pero nosotros, gente no anglosajona, tenemos idiomas más complicados.
Tampoco se pueden excusar con el "somos una página anglosajona" porque si son una página anglosajona entonces no deberían admitir gente que no lo sea.
Además no creo que cueste mucho cambiar eso, osea, si en los comments y en todas partes en la página se pueden utilizar, por qué en los títulos no¿?

(Por cierto, el ejemplo del año del amor me mató :XD:).
Please don't resurrect old threads. :)

:lock:
Please look at time stamps before posting in threads. This thread is over a year old. Necro'ing threads older than 6 months will get the thread locked.
I want to use special symbols in deviations titles toooooo!!!
I agree! :3 That's all to be said.
As you will know, the new addressig system includes the dev title in the address. Many websites (including dA) have special scripts that perform different things by reading special characters in the address (for example, when you do a search the string "?offset=48" is added to show from the 49th result, rather than the first).
The biggest problem of allowing certain special characters is that a malicious user could give a deviation a title that confuses the system, and attacks either the server, or various users. The potential for serious harm is vast, and that's probably the best reason why dA won't allow certain special characters in dev titles for the forseeable future.
Yeah. That goes for the Finnish speakers too. Changing an "ä" to an "a" totally changes the meaning of the word. xD
I noticed this too! I have had to rename a few of my pieces for DA because I was unable to use the characters I wanted. I really do wish they would fix this. Maybe if they had some sort of cache of special characters?
I've seen this suggestion quite a lot, but the way you wrote it really makes it seem like the site should allow those special characters in titles.

I can't imagine it would be too much trouble to just replace the special characters of the source image, or even just using a _ in place of them. I think it's unfair that non-English speaking people have to limit their deviation titles due to the title limits.

I hope they can fix this :)
Despite the fact that this looks like semi-thread-necromancy, I think it's good to see this on the front page of the Suggestions forum again.

+1

Je voudrais pouvoir soumettre des déviations françaises avec des titres français.

Now, while those accents aren't nearly as important in French as they are in Spanish, it's simply adding to the point. :)
I agree with this.
Agree with this suggestion =)
+1

I don't like to talk about things in which I know little, and I don't know much about the back-end of this website. That said, in a well formed website with a solid structure and back-end, adding this feature should be very simple... I really don't know what excuse they may have for not doing this thus far. Most web languages have pretty easy methods for using UTF-16, etc.
This makes sense... nice examples, btw :D
LOL That's hilarious error. About the "year of..."

I also wish that they allow foreign language that's non-alphabet as well since Japanese I write turns up fine in journals and comments but not in title sections...
I agree. DA is today a multilingual site filled with hundreds (yes, hundreds) of non english-speak clubs and "sub-communities" inside:
Japan:=JapaneseClub
Spanish:~spanish-deviants =Hispanart =noticias
German: ~BRD
Russia:=Rus-Club
Israel:~israel
Palestine:=Palestine-Club
Iraq:~IraqiDeviants
Malta~The-Maltese
Emirates:*emirates
etc, etc... (the list is HUGE)
I think these clubs, and his members, they would be happy of being able to write the deviation titles in his own language. :)
lol yes... as an administrator of Japaneseclub, I agree- lol
I've always wondered why they never allowed this, and never thought of your point before. With that being said, I think it's more important for them to add such a thing :)
thanks. :hug:

Maybe they didn't imagine the great international success of this wonderful site. :)
I keep trying to put []'s in my titles but it wont let me, I have to settle for -'s, obviously not as big a problem as words having different meaning, but my titles aren't aesthetic as i'd like.

for example:

The [Hidden] Valley
has to be
The -Hidden- Valley

:( lol