What is a kiriban?

I've heard it millions of times and I know that it has something to do with pageviews, but otherwise I have no idea about it ^^; Can someone please tell me what "kiriban" means?
Comments34
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Necro'd thread. Please refrain from commenting on threads older than six months. :lock:
How'd a topic from 2007 come up? :confused:

Kiribans are awards that pageview whores give out, hopefully to encourage people to check by regularly in hope they get the award, which in turn, raises their pageviews faster...but I bet the OP found that out already :p
From Wiktionary:

:bulletred:kiriban

English

Etymology
Japanese キリ番 (kiriban) from 切りのいい番 (kiri no ii ban) - "a number which is a good place to stop", "a round number".

Noun

kiriban (plural: kiriban or kiribans)

1. A milestone; an interesting number displayed on a web counter, such as 10000, 22222, etc.; particularly, one selected by the website owner for the purpose of giving a prize to whoever reaches it.
2. A gift or prize given to one who reaches such a milestone.
3. The system of giving gifts to those who reach web count milestones.

Usage notes

Also used as in attribution, as kiriban winner, kiriban number, kiriban picture, etc., or with a number indicating the kiriban, as kiriban 5000. Can also be said as kiribian.

Retrieved from "[link]"

Category: English nouns
Woah, talk about bringing a thread back from the dead. :|
Well, I had wondered what the actual meaning of it was, found this, read the first comment and did it, when I came back I figured what I had found explained it way better, so I decided to post the info I found in case someone else wants to know. Is that bad?
Well since the thread is nearly a year old I think it would have been better to put it in your journal ;).

It also seems like the OP obtained the answer they wanted soon after starting the thread :).
Number one:
It doesn't matter how old the thread is, I was looking for information and when I Googled it, I found this thread, since I assume that others may do the same, I posted it there.

Number two:
If someone else Googled it or went looking for it on here, it would bring up the thread, not my journal genius!

And finally, number three:
It was never meant to actually answer the OP in particular... in case you didn't notice their account is dead.

So, thanks anyways for your input, but it's definitely not needed.
I knew exactly what I was posting... where... and why!
I always kinda wondered where the name came from myself. >w> This thread explained it nicely.
I just figured it's something you draw because you got a certain amount of page views. :P I'm not an otaku or anything but its a good word for it so I use it.
A kiriban is a small woodland creature indiginous to the United Kingdom and parts of northwestern Europe. It eats broken bycicle tires and used bandages it finds on hiking trails.
Thanks for the laugh :rofl: I imagine that as some kind of fat rodent.
Kinda like a chinchilla, or something...
It means that if you speak for extended periods of time in "Wapanese," you will get banned. :bucktooth:
Don't know what Wapanese means either.
Wannabe Japanese... :paranoid:
Why would I have to know it? Not everyone is an anime fan.
<.< I never said you had to know it. I just told you what it was. I was trying to be informative. :O_o:
Sorry, I thought the "¬¬" face meant something else.
Haha! It's okay. I put that in there because I sadly used to be one about 7 years ago... :(
View all replies
hahahah sexual favours...probably pageviews :)
Thanks to everyone.

But I don't mind what it means in Japanese... I have no interest in learning it. I just wanted to know what it's used for.
When someone gets a screenshot of a certain amount of pageviews they can ask for a favor from you in return. The favors could range from anything from a requested drawing to sexual favors.
Sexual favours? I did not know that! :iconsexytimeplz:
That plz account always makes me smile.

And the way some people treat them, they might as well be.