Closed to new replies
December 29, 2005
Link

Statistics

Replies: 318

Creationist, Evolutionist, or neither?

:iconribbondragon:
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2005
Just curious. But are you a creationist, evolutionist, neither, or both?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondigital-rat:
digital-Rat Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006  Student Digital Artist
I prefer evolution because I love science, and things tend to make more sense to me. Besides, it's more fun thinking of how the universe came into being without saying God just simply made it. Sounds sort of boring to me.
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, that's why I like it as well. I mean, God is pretty useful for explaining what we understand- but I'd rather just call it the Unknown than God, because then it's easier to get people to accept new evidence.
:iconlukfox:
Lukfox Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
I believe God's way of creation is evolution. And that basically scratches out The Garden of Eden and how the world is only "so many" years old. But that's perfectly ok with me, because honestly, I'd rather a god that wasnt laughing at all paleontologists for wasting their lives digging up and examing things that "he put there" .
:iconlukfox:
Lukfox Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
I believe God's way of creation is evolution. And that basically scratches out The Garden of Eden and how the world is only "so many" years old. But that's perfectly ok with me, because honestly, I'd rather a god that wasnt laughing at all paleontologists for wasting their lives digging up and examing things that "he put there" .
:iconevilegg:
EvilEgg Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
Evolutionist
:iconpharamonna:
Pharamonna Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
I am without a doubt an evolutionist.
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
Verry cool.
:iconsparxcg:
sparXCG Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
Creationist, I created the world.

Just kidding... :D I'm evolutionist all the way. ^_^
Yes, as did I. Fear me, for I am God and your savior! *grins* heh heh... that'd be fun if people believed me! Well, not really... >_>;;
:iconenergetic-innovation:
Both, since I have yet to hear of anyone making zero equal anything other than zero...without adding anything. Isn't that a mathematical law?
I believe there's a religion (buddhism maybe? Or taoism?) that say you can acheive everything by pursuing nothing...

And, pumpernickel's right. Evolution is basically the adding and subtracting thing- mutations occuring over time until it's a difference, sometimes more complex, organism.
:iconmrpumpernickel:
mrpumpernickel Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
What are you talking about? Throughout evolution things have been added and subtracted ad nauseum causing biological organisms to adapt to their situation or die, so events have been added constantly.

If you're talking about adding something from the very beginning of everything, such as the Big Bang theory, then you're not talking evolution. Plenty of scholars are debating whether Big Bang is fesible or not. If you're talking about life coming from nothing in the early days of life, well, the theory didn't suggest that it came from nothing but rather from highly fortunate circumstances for life to be created. Such as the primordial pool. It's the theory that makes most sense at the moment anyway, but that's the good thing about theories, they can be reworked over time as new evidence is presented.
:iconfachen:
Fachen Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
Sorry, didn't get enough time to read the whole thread, but if someone already mentioned this i'm sorry again.

In the UK atm, there's a documentary airing starring Richard Dawkins called "Root of all Evil", essentially claiming that the teaching of religion as truth only leads to bad things (something I'm not 100% sure... well... that's more of a different argument) and it brought up this debate (Dawkins being who he is). The fact that some creationists think their faith should be taught instead of (not just along side) evolution, scares me...

Besides, evolution doesn't in any way rule out a creator - but for the wealth of virtually unopposed evidence, I'm an evolutionist ;)

Fachen
Heh, very cool. And I think people don't like it because they feel it directly disagrees with the bible...
:iconfachen:
Fachen Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
Yeah, its just sad that even parts of the bible itself also disagree with the bible :) ...you'd think they'd all be used to compromises by now.

Fachen
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2006
Heh, yeah... I guess they ignored those parts... >.>;;
:icontauralmie:
tauralmie Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yes to both. Who's to say that the moment God created humans wasn't the moment that apes became "human"? And they didn't necessarily have to speak in sentences to be understood by God, or for God to understand them...
:iconelchez:
elchez Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
Evolution by far, there is no solid proof that God created a thing, but there IS proof of evolution, and theories aboutthe real creation of the universe (the big bang, echoes of which are being capted by satellites)... And people say but wah, it's too much casuality! and my answer is hey, you know how many thousand millions years old the universe is?? There is a shitload of time for such casualities to take place.And we are the result of one of these casualities. I also firmly believe that there is life in other planets, but I don't think they've come to earth though :`
:iconultranic-comics:
ultranic-comics Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
hah ouch

thank you for that verbal smack down.

So? That doesn't mean I believe it. Others do. That's my point. I also suggested nothing exists- but I don't see you pointing out that's wrong.

Nothing existing in the sense that everything around us is some kind of make believe dream world and nothing is real? Or nothing exists as in there is no higher power or order to existance, and creation exists just because it does? Wouldn’t the last part be a rehashed concept of evolution or another vague similarity to it? An explosion that created everything is here just because it happened?

And did you miss the 'Believe what you want to believe' thing? Why do you want me to tell you what I, personally, think is the case when you're just going to say it's wrong?

I wouldn’t say its wrong, I just wouldn’t say its right. Restating my original point there isnt just two or three categories of potential existence.. There are millions of options each with vague similarities of the same central concepts of existence that don’t conceive an entirely new view point at all (like you had suggested at least in my mind, might exist). Everything is basically the same idea of the same central ideas just with more or less salt added to it. I was asking you for an original view point, because I guess you implied that there might be one. But I may have been wrong asking...

o you mean by "REAL third idea"? Are you suggesting there are only 3 ideas? Religion, science, and the right one?

I never said once that one was right and that the others were wrong. I assume you thought that because of my sarcastic overtone. My point was that there are no new original perspectives on existence aside from the primaries; everything is rehashed old crap from the central ideas of how we got here. Fluke evolution or some big floating guy or power in the sky. Ironically even those two tie in together quite nicely in center areas. I assumed that you were saying that there is another idea entirely exclusive from those two concepts and I wanted to hear it so my brain would explode most unpleasantly with shock!

why don't you go out and try to solve it yourself instead of asking someone who doesn't know and doesn't care how we came into existence?

Believe me when I tell you, I dont expect to solve this riddle by debating about it with fellow artists on deviantart. And heres a question for you, if you dont care about this topic like you claim you do, then why are you in the same sense asking who believes in what? Totally out of boredom? Please…
:iconsmooz:
Smooz Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
Evolutionist. Though Creationism can be fun from time to time. :P
:iconjohnnymarbelo:
JohnnyMarbelo Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
Incredibly evolutionist, of course! ;)
:iconlaok:
laok Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
maybe human were created and other annals changed just not us
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
annals?
:iconbigmadtony:
bigmadtony Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
Well, I'm about as atheistic as I can get. Which means creationism is ruled out. Unless some quarks decided to bonk like so, and... well... I feel dirty.
:iconleetskeet:
leetSkeet Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
I am a creationist, Born Agian Christian, and if im wrong then I dont have anything to worry about. But if i didnt believe in god and my end came then Ever lasting Pain and regret.

Better safe then sorry right? :)
Yup. Unless your life is already ever lasting pain and regret- then it probably wouldn't matter.
leetSkeet Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
that sounds alittle emo :/
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
*shrugs* I guess. I wouldn't know, I don't pay attention to labels like that.
leetSkeet Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2006
Well look at it this way, What do you have to loose. Lets weigh the Downfalls...

-If im wrong, I get gills.Thats Freaking great I allways Wanted to be like the X-men.

-if you're wrong you goto Hell.

As for Labels I dont understand what you mean, please explain. :)
Labels like emo. I don't pay attention. As far as I know, it involves being very depressed and writing about cutting yourself and everyone hates you.

... And why would you get gills?
:iconsaxgoth:
SaxGoth Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006  Professional Interface Designer
I've started to believe both, that in order for for It to create, it required billions/millions of years to do so, where to It it seemed like days. Yaknow?
yup.
ultranic-comics Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
You mean there is another perspective on existence outside the idealism of faith ridden creationism or factually flawed evolution?

What’s that one called?
Well, there's always the one where no one exists, that it was all aliens, etc. Really- it's whatever you want to believe. It's not like ye have to follow what's already there.
The idea that Aliens created human life is practically the same as a divine power, because to us the Aliens would be subjected to the term and use of God.
Why are you telling me this?
Because that was your suggestion as a third belief of existence.

I'm telling you it doesn’t work because it fits in quite nicely with the first and widely popular defined belief of existence. A God.

Essentially a God is really just a being that has created everything himself. Alien life creating life on earth would be essentially our god who created everything, so really I see little difference. Just vauge technicalities!

I'm asking for the REAL third idea for existence outside of any comparitive idea from the first two and you're not giving it to me.

Blah
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
So? That doesn't mean I believe it. Others do. That's my point. I also suggested nothing exists- but I don't see you pointing out that's wrong.

And did you miss the 'Believe what you want to believe' thing? Why do you want me to tell you what I, personally, think is the case when you're just going to say it's wrong? And what do you mean by "REAL third idea"? Are you suggesting there are only 3 ideas? Religion, science, and the right one? Where did you get that idea? And, better yet, why don't you go out and try to solve it yourself instead of asking someone who doesn't know and doesn't care how we came into existence?
ultranic-comics Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2006
hah ouch

thank you for that verbal smack down.

Nothing existing in the sense that everything around is some kind of make believe dream and nothing is real or that no higher power or creationist exists and everything is just here because its here? Wouldn’t that be evolution or another vague similarity to it?

And did you miss the 'Believe what you want to believe' thing? Why do you want me to tell you what I, personally, think is the case when you're just going to say it's wrong?

I wouldn’t say its wrong, I just wouldn’t say its right. Restating my original point there isnt just two or three categories of potential existence.. There are millions of options each with vague similarities of the same central concepts of existence that don’t conceive an entirely new view point at all like you suggested might exist. Everything is basically the same idea of the same thing just with more or less salt. I was asking you for an original view point, because I guess you implied that there might be.

o you mean by "REAL third idea"? Are you suggesting there are only 3 ideas? Religion, science, and the right one?

I never said once that one was right and that the others were wrong. I assume you thought that because of my sarcastic overtone. My point was that there are no new original perspectives on existence aside from the primaries; everything is rehashed old crap from the central ideas of how we got here. Fluke evolution or some big floating guy or power in the sky. Ironically even those two tie in together quite nicely in center areas. I assumed that you were saying that there is another idea entirely exclusive from those two concepts and I wanted to hear it so my brain would explode most unpleasantly from shock!

why don't you go out and try to solve it yourself instead of asking someone who doesn't know and doesn't care how we came into existence?

Believe me when I tell you, I dont expect to solve this riddle by debating about it with artists on deviantart. And heres a question, if you dont care about this topic like you claim you do, then why are you in the same sense asking who believes in what? Totally out of boredom? Please…
"And heres a question, if you dont care about this topic like you claim you do, then why are you in the same sense asking who believes in what? Totally out of boredom? Please…"
I don't care about how we came to exist. Right now, I find evolution to make sense- you don't. You also don't seem to care enough to try and find it out for yourself what's the truth.
I started the topic because I wanted to know what other people thought. It's an amazing idea, I know- really it is. Ahead of its time, really- asking people what they think simply because you want to know.
(2 Replies)
:iconunveiledmoon:
unveiledmoon Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
I believe in Evolution. Why? Both my parents are scientists and I too lean towards science. To me evolution makes perfect sense, it is a theory and as such doesn't claim that it is the truth instead it offers a theory of the most likely explaination at the given time based upon our current knowledge.

Also...a quick question. I have heard of the term "intelligent design" in references to the debate between creationism and evolution. Can someone explain what that term means?
[link]
Or, if you'd rather not read that- basically it's another way of saying creationism.

And that's pretty cool- what kind of scientists are they?
:iconsilver-wolfe:
Silver-Wolfe Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2006
I liked what an anthropologist said in a recent Anthropology newsletter.

Evolution is what is supported by science. Scientifically? It is the better choice between the two, but there is no point in arguing religion and science. If you have religion you should have faith, if you doubt your faith or feel the need to attack something outside it because it is different would mean to falter in your religion. If you want to be religious, just be religious and believe creationism. If you want to be scientific, believe evolution.
:icondappledice:
DappleDice Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2006
If any retard seriously came up to me and told me they don't believe in evolution,
I'd drag them to a museum and beat their eyeballs out of their sockets with a dinosaur bone
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2006
*sighs* I wish I could do that. A bunch of people in my school and biology class don't believe it.
:iconchief-mojo-rising:
chief-mojo-rising Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2006
Both concepts are retarded because god could have easily created organisms that can evolve, so i'm neither.
:icondum-summa-blonde:
dum-summa-blonde Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2006  Student
Neither
I'm an athiast
Personally I dont care how we got here as long as I'm here now :P
:iconrunespider:
RuneSpider Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2006
I think there is a plan for how the universe could end up, and the one who started the plan and is continuing it is god, and that the being called the devil has a different idea of how the universe should go. I think that God really has no truly set idea for how the universe will end up, but is simply giving a little nudge every now and then to keep things moving in the right direction.
Evolution small scale, i think it happens as it happens, with God only involving himself when he needs to. I think he may have set rules or something to keep a balanced system going. I mean, it's like how total different organisms can form a working ecosytem within a few generations.
Nope, not vague at all...
ribbondragon Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2006
Yeah.
:iconsmeagoldfish:
Smeagoldfish Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2006
The way i see it, a brainless power could never have developed the intricate and extremely complex organisms we see on our earth today. Some of the things you witness in nature, the spontinaety of creatures, and also the biological makeup of organisms going right down to the smallest particle, to me, requires an intellegent designer [i could even go so far as to say that we are told by God that we are created in his image, if you consider the amazing things the human mind can accomplish and design, just think about the brain of a divine being, what that can do]

Thus i believe in God and creationism...so on and so forth. Within that, i believe that evolution plays a part, but in a more simpler sence: meaning change and development and that change is a procedure that is God programmed within our world and it's creatures.

I simply cant believe that what we see today came about through long periods of morphing. If evolution is true, then i want to evolve into some sort of superhuman and i want to now! :D

curiosity kills, i teach you this lesson through lengthy replies! be warned! :P
Add a Comment: