20 YEARS JAIL for marijuana-----

Australian woman Schapelle Corby (aged 27) has just received a sentence of 20 years jail in indonesia,for importation of 4.1 kilos of marijuana.The Indonesian government supports the prosecution in their appeal because they feel the sentence is too lenient.They are demanding a life sentence so Corby will die in jail.What are your thoughts on this?.Incidentally Schapelle Corby pleaded innocent.
Comments419
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I really sympathize for her. Cause I saw her break-down when she was receiving her sentence, standing next to her translator.

it is a heart-breaking sight.

And look at the jail she'll be in for 20 years....

1)totally unsanitary
2)sex-crazed men who PROBABLY don't speak english
3)worse living conditions

If they're gonna' keep her in Indonesia they should at least give her A DECENT place.

what THE HELL is wrong with everything
i think shes innocent, thats all i have to say :(
damn, for marijuana
I never in my live coming to indosia, here in my country allow it smoke in any place
hi speaking about extreme sentence...check this article....its quite interesting..give me a little bit description about what kind australian are..:D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pity Schapelle - but remember the 'Japanese Five'
May 27, 2005
Page Tools

With Schapelle Corby's verdict looming, the Australian public is preparing to be outraged at the injustice of the Indonesian judicial system. However, we should reflect on our own treatment of non-Australians arrested for apparent drug trafficking in our own country. I refer to the group of Japanese tourists who were arrested at Melbourne Airport in 1992. Where were all of the voices screaming for justice when this tragic case unfolded?

The group's nightmare began with a holiday that they claimed had been organised by a Malaysian businessman who had given it as a gift.

The trip, they said, was to be a way of compensation for a car accident in which one of the group members, Yoshio Katsuno, had been involved while on a business trip to Kuala Lumpur. Yoshio had spent two weeks in hospital in KL, and accepting this gift from was not an unusual matter in both cultures. The businessman suggested that Yoshio arrange a group of friends to travel with him.

According to their story, Yoshio and the rest of the group were instructed to meet the businessman in Kuala Lumpur the day before they were to travel to Australia. He met them at the airport and took them out to dinner that evening. Their luggage, which had been left in the businessman's van, had been stolen while they were having dinner. The businessman was very apologetic, and the following morning gave each of them replacement suitcases - a gesture which was interpreted as an act of kindness. Unknown to them - so they claimed - the new suitcases had false bottoms that contained, in total, 13 kilograms of heroin.

When the group touched down at Melbourne Airport the authorities were waiting for them. They had been tipped off to a large drug haul that was entering the country.

The group was taken in and interrogated with none of them comprehending the gravity of their situation because they did not speak a word of English. Their supporters claim that they were not provided with competent interpreters at the time of the police interviews. This resulted in the case being weighted very heavily against them when it came to their trial.

To assume that possession equals ownership is quite obviously not peculiar to the Indonesian judicial system."

Five of the group were arrested and charged with drug trafficking and two returned home because their suitcases did not contain any drugs. Four of them served 10 years and one remains in prison, due to be released in 2006.

It has been suggested that the authorities were tipped off about the group of Japanese tourists in order to allow another bigger drug haul to enter the country. Whatever the real story is, we cannot escape the fact that these people were dealt with in a way that would make Australians scream for justice if it was one of their own.

To assume that possession equals ownership is quite obviously not peculiar to the Indonesian judicial system.

We can feel outrage for Schapelle - but we should remember the adage about people in glass houses not throwing stones.
Caitriona Prendergast, Black Rock

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If what you say is correct ,and I must add that I am not familiar with this particular case ,then I do agree with you about "possession does not equal ownership".However the fact that you say they received 10 years for 13 kilos of herion proves that 20 years (in Corby's case) is an extremely harsh penalty for only 4.1 kilo of marijuana.Also let's not forget that the prosecution are appealing because they feel that 20 years is inadequate.
ehm..i just say that every country have their own law system...in fact that many drug cases (including heroin, marijuana etc) cause troubles in indonesia society and force indonesia's government regulate a strict law about drugs...it may differ with in australia which is drugs not cause so much trouble like in here..
let me give this example : on 28 april 2005, Indonesian's fisherman named Muhammad Heri died in his ship because he had been prisoned in his own ship by Australian officer. The fact that there is no help at all to that poor man because australian law prohibit him to enter australian land teritory, so the officer keep him in their own ship for days without doctor help....It looks harsh for me that Australian officer did not give him a chance to enter the land and give him a appropriate help but I dont blame australian for that .. Australian has their own rules about immigration and the indonesian fisherman should respects that rules...
I think every country have their own law system..and we should aware about that before we enter that country...
-peace- :D
I am aware of the Muhammad Heri situation.He and others aboard his ship were aprehended fishing illegally in Australian waters,an increasing practice by Indonesian fishermen.Whilst they know it is illegal they continue to do it for monetary gain.A similar situation applies to the Corby case.She knew it was illegal to take drugs into Indonesia but still did it according to the Indonesian courts.Both Corby and Heri have been dealt with according to each country's law but that does not mean it is correct.I personally believe that the sentence handed down to Corby by the Indonesian courts was barbaric just as I believe the treatment of Heri by keeping him aboard his ship when ill is barbaric. Governments are not always right and it is up to people of all nationalities to protest and voice their opinions whenever and where-ever they so wish.
good point...i agree with u in some points....but how will u change it??it is not easy to change the laws just because one or two cases...if australian change they law so they will tolerate fishermen who are sick, the fishermen will take advantages of it...if indonesia change their law so they will release all drug smugglers who confess that someone put the drugs in their bag..then every drug smugglers will defend themselves by saying that someone put it in their bags.......
You missed my point a little bit.You are right that we cannot just let them off ,however my point is that if they are guilty then they must be punished ,but the punishment should not be barbaric.I also point out that if we as citizens disagree with government decisions we must have the right to voice our own opinions.
i dont think she deserves that kind of treatment BUT it was not exactly genius to bring drugs into a foreign country.
There is absolutely no doubt that people should not take drugs into another country but it sure seems like an extreme sentence.
Anybody who takes giggly twig through a place like that is asking for shit....i feel the sentence is pretty lenient in relation to the standard...if it was a local they whould have been executed but because foreigners whould flip out they whould never do that. I hope she doesnt get the life sentence and pray for her safety.
But unfortunately its a "drug" and its an extreme place....she should have known better.
I don't think there is any question about the fact that she should have known better.I don't believe that she wasn't given the death penalty due to being a foreigner though,however 20 years is an extremely harsh penalty in my opinion.
That totally sucks. I mean, they want her to get a life sentance when there's murders, peados, rapists and god knows what else getting only a few years... what has this world come too?
I think that it's time the people of the world united together against the Governments of the world and straightened the place out!!!!!
I think that there are murders, rapists and animal/child abusers about that get as much as that, or even less, and they make a huge deal over marijuana. I think she should be punished, i'm not doubting that, but i think the government need to sort out their priorities in many countries.
I cant believe what I heard from one of my friends, I was talking about how my parents were going on holiday and Id be the only one at home, so he suggested house party... well I did agree, but realised what my mum was like and would have someone check on me, but than he started talking about inviting people round... whom smoke pot, and hed said he try some, Well if he kept his mouth shut I wouldn't have been too bothered but now he's said that, its a no no.

But anyway, Im not sure about this true she shouldn't have got such along sentence, and that guy whom killed 200 people he should be getting life.
:nod: Yes you definitely made the right decision.In my opinion it is not good to get involved with drugs especially if it is someone else who is putting pressure on you.As for the sentences in Indonesia they seem to have them the wrong way around for sure.
I wouldn't have minded drink but he took it too far, I made a promise too myself I would never smoke or do drugs. Anyway those days will pass hopefully without any fuss, or anyone knowing about that party, that disappeared into limbo.
i believe she is innocent....
and even if she isnt, she doesnt deserve 20years

the persont hat killed over 200people in the bombing in october only got 2years....2 YEARS for killing innocent people!
:nod: I agree the sentence certainly seems excessive in comparison to our system.

:eatshit::toilet: Shit !So did I ,let me clean it up.
thank you :)
i seem to be getting harassed for having an opinion.....
Uh, it's Indonesia... killing 200 people means more food to go around. On the weed I guess they figure you're horning in on something they can export. I would think they'd want it out of their country so people don't get the munchies. (And in case you don't get it... that IS sarcastic HUMOR, folks)

Personally, I think people need to shut up, knuckle down and figure out that when you are out of your own country you need to stop being the spoiled little jerky living in a well off and democratic country makes you. You need to open your eyes, shut your mouth and toe the line or you end up in a hole with nothing but a ratty blanket and some bars to keep you company. I don't think she should get special treatment. She pled innocent. Now that's up to her to prove. Can't PROVE it? Sorry 'bout your luck.

I think most people who try to claim they're innocent of stuff like this are liars. Seen too many dumb-asses tell the cops "I ain' doin drugs" when the cops just SAW them dump the stuff and go and retrieve it. *rolls eyes* And if she was stupid enough to ler her luggage out of sight before she was boarding the plane, then she deserves this punishment for her lack of intelligence.