WIX takes over, alternatives to Deviant Art?

techcrunch.com/2017/02/23/webs…

Second, Wix will open up DeviantArt’s repository of art and creative community to the Wix platform, giving Wix’s users access to that work to use in their own site building.

So wix is taking over and planning to steal our art for their own product. Where do you guys suggest we take our art and money instead?

EDIT
Both Heidi and Spyed have said that it's about a feature that's completely optional for Deviant Art users, and could hold a financial benefit for us.

Sorry for the waste of forum space, people!
Comments52
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Why don't we create our own website? :-) We could pool all our ideas and create the ultimate art site! :dance:
We could use Wix to help build it!
Gotta love the paranoia of people every time a change like this happens :B I'm referring to people in general and about websites in general, not only here on DA... but yeah, in this case and since we're talking about DA, people always seem to seek an excuse to leave...

I'm not planning to leave, even if things go to shit and the site dies completely, this time for real, I'll be here until the end :shrug: Besides, who knows? Maybe this could be a good change, at the risk of sounding naively optimistic, maybe it could finally bring the changes the site so desperately needs; more resources, more staff, etc. We really can't possibly know at this point, so I'll just wait how this thing develops. 
Comment Flagged as Spam
People is critical about the things they feel passionate about, so half of the people who do it do it because they actually care for the site, and it's a good thing... the other half is just people who love to whine :B 

Either way, the site is not perfect, and for as much as I like it I know it's not on its best state right now, it's outdated and needs a lot of changes to stay current, that's why many people has migrated to other sites like Tumblr or Instagram. That's why I welcome a change like this and instead of thinking of leaving I prefer to stay optimistic and give it the benefit of the doubt. If it works, then great! If it doesn't work and the site dies.. well, it would've died anyway if it kept this same direction. At this point it has nothing to lose. 
So, how do we mass delete everything in our accounts if it comes to that?

EbolaSparkleBear has a list of alternative sites in one of his journals.

I think I'll just have to split my attention between Ratafire, patreon, my personal website, discord and fur affinity as they are the sites that I use most already.
I want to see how things turn out before jumping ship completely, however I do have accounts of Weasyl, Wysp, Paigeeworld and Furaffinity so if you want some kind of backup art community site you can look into those, but I can't call any of them decent alternatives to DA as the community is even more lacking on those sites than it is here, and they lack promotional platforms to help get your work more exposure.
"40 million registered members, for $36 million in cash" ~= $1.10 per member. Now I know what I'm worth.
That's not right. 40 x 1.1 = 44.

40 x 0.9 = 36.

Going solely off of users, your average worth is $0.90.

You can be properly sold at a dollar store.
Get ready for upload limits without a subscription.
The amino apps have a sleek mobile interface, in particular "art amino" but it's easy to get banned, and the mods can be crabby/biased af. It's a bit censored though. I prefer the freedom of DA, and it's less easy to get banned here for doing little to nothing.
I had an account (still have because I can't fucking delete it) in amino art portuguese version, and about the mods it couldn't be better said. It was also the only place where I have been called a "fake" by some cunt about my username (oh well I though the app is named "amino art", not "amino National ID Card"). And I'm not sure about amino being a good place to grow as artist and getting a fanbase specially when it comes to original art and people really interested in supporting you :( I prefer DA even with all the negative things
Lol. It's a little of coddling on there too. I prefer the mobile interface of amino because of the chat/submission/browse, but I prefer da on a whole. I'm banned on amino and can't come back because I made a joke in a chat about the mod easily being triggered and would punish you for having a different opinion, and that she looked the part (as a tumblrina). It came up when someone was wrongfully penalized for an "inappropriate" piece that wasn't lewd or even in violation of their shitty rules. I joined years ago and I have had multiple scuffles with that mod and a few others. I had 760 followers on my first account, 320 on my second account. Both were banned because the mod is easily triggered by everything. I had a fair amount of friends. Feedback went to shit about a year or so ago and it's pretty dead since I was banned.
The mods on portuguese version are also tumblrinas under their 15's, I'm not sure about the original amino art but there's a feature thing similar to daily deviations where the mods select the "best" posts to get a feature (memes or art of their friends be it good or bad, rarely real good stuff), I tried getting along there but the mods BS, the competition of some people to see who got more likes/followers and the lack of support/honest critique makes me want to never go there again
Yes, that's pretty much what it was like for me.
There isn't really. As far as I know only Drawcrowd has a lot of the features DA has too, but somehow there is almost no community there
Because DA has the community. Right now anyway.
Ah, this is sad. dA is pretty much the best art site for me. I just hate how it turns so bad now...
Well, the wording is too vague to jump to any conclusions. I'm just preparing myself for the worst.
btw i wanted to talk about alternatives to da and why none can replace da:

instagram: as i said to someone below, they limit how big you can make images. you can only post small images, so i don't really like that at all. and the commenting system looks a little strange. it's like they didn't really try hard. on da you can link to individual comments! the comments system's so organized here.

twitter: another site where you can't post big images.

facebook: you can post kind of big images but in order for people to see them full size, they have to download the image. on da you can simply zoom in. also, on facebook, the system is weird because when a person posts something, it does not automatically show up in everyone's news feed. they have some kind of confusing system for how that works. i don't get it.

tumblr: this site lets you upload large images, thank goodness. but, there isn't a great commenting system unless you install disqus onto your blog... i guess i could do that but it would be a hassle. ^__^U plus there's no forum, like there is on da. (i like the forums...)

and btw, something else i like on da is the "faves" system. i like looking at other people's faves and easily seeing a bunch of thumbnails that show what work they like. da in general is so organized. there are a lot of great things about the way this site is laid out and organized. there are the forums, there are groups, plus they give you statistics on your own page and other people's pages too. there's so much i like about da. (hope wix doesn't change it...)

other art sites? i don't really know any that would work out for me, i don't think... 
To be honest, showing smaller images is a decent way to protect yourself from art theft.
Drawcrowd has most of the features DA has too, but somehow there is almost no community there
let's wait and see the details of what exactly they are going to do, before we jump to conclusions about art "stealing." maybe wix will introduce a voluntary way that artists can submit art to be used on someone's website.

but here's something i don't like:

"The deal will also include putting further investment into developing DeviantArt’s desktop and mobile apps. (Today, that desktop experience is based on a very simple, pared-down interface that is reminiscent of the 2000 birthdate of the startup itself.)"

i don't care about the mobile app 'cause i don't use it. but the desktop site? no no no no... they are going to change the layout of the site?? yes it's kinda old-fashioned but i LIKE it. i don't want it to change. it seems like every other website is changing to a more modern "mobile-friendly" look, which means that desktop websites have gigantic text and buttons, and pictures that stretch across the whole screen. this design is meant to make desktop sites look as if they were a mobile site. i can't stand this annoying web design trend. a desktop site should look like a desktop site. i've always been glad that da never bought into this trend. but something tells me that they will do it sooner or later.