Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 11, 2016
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

What got you into art in the first place?

:iconastrobauble:
astrobauble Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Student
Disclaimer, as always: I am shitty at the English language. 8(

Not sure what it was for me. I was drawing for as long as I could remember. Creating comics and characters (albeit shitty) for literally as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories drawing something substantial was the first time I watched Star Wars. It was airing on TV in 1999 and I remember that I was watching it because my dad was going to be returning home after being overseas for a few months and we were all going to see The Phantom Menace as a family. 

And I remember drawing C3PO, Leia, and Han. They were terrible artworks and if I ever find them I will probably cringe to death, but it was a good memory. As was going to see Episode I with my fam. Only redeeming quality of Phantom Menace tbh.

I also remember that my first movie in theaters was The Little Mermaid during a re-release on the military base's theater. It was amazingggggg. I know it made me want to draw too so I'm not sure if that's what started it all for me or not, but that movie had an impact at me at the ripe old age of 5.

Fast forward to the year 2005. My drawing interests included mostly Batman, Neopets, and X-Men. My mom signed me up for a Cartooning class at a community center. It was a week that changed my life. I remember the first 3 days (out of 5), I was just muddling thru the class kind of bored. Then, on the 4th day I decided to sit with these 2 girls instead of the other people my age. These girls were probably 14-15 and I remember seeing their art and I thought it was amazing. They introduced me to anime and manga.

I mean I'd seen some anime series on TV before, but I didn't know it was anime. I didn't know it came from Japan. I just thought it was an animated television show. y_y They were so nice to me and taught me how the anime drawing style worked. It sparked a fire in me that entered me into what I'd like to think of as my golden age in life lololol. From 2005 - 2009, I drew more and more and I improved so quickly. I went from borderline stick figures to being quite a decent artist imho.

Then high school's grip on my life became too great and I went through a lot of drama with family and eventually spent 4 glorious years being bullied on a daily basis via internet. I had no friends and became depressed. Then I became an adult and got a job because bills are good things to be paid. Needless to say I feel like I've been in an art slump ever since.

Anyways, poorly worded boring life story over.
What about you? What got you into art? What are some art-related memories that made things excited or different for you? What are some challenges you've had? and how did you overcome them?

I look forward to reading some good stories =>

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsheynes:
Sheynes Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2016  Student Digital Artist
I'm a writer since I have 13.
Now I wanna illustrate my own book. 
:iconangie-thecat:
Angie-TheCat Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2016  Student General Artist
high school classes were boring 
:iconpyroglifix:
Pyroglifix Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
Seeing how well my sister could draw and being jealous really got me started. I started at age 4.
:iconslaughtercounty:
SlaughterCounty Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
I loved drawing from the time I was little. My Grandma was an artist and encouraged me quite a bit, we even took some art classes together :love: I was a traditional artist (colored pencil, pencil, watercolor mostly) but I was really into super realism which is really a huge amount of effort and you end up kind of with a copy of a photograph. I think sometime around when I graduated high school I realized that I could just get good at photography and make those images myself without the effort of drawing :lmao: So I studied photography for a long time, I even went to school for it. Over the last few years I slowly fell out of love with photography (largely because I was trying to make a business out of it and the business part SUCKS), but I hadn't done any drawing or painting for years. I was kind if in a creative slump for a couple of years (having a baby didn't help!) but managed to crawl out of it just a few months ago and started making art again this time mostly digital :w00t: 
:iconiridescentcatalyst:
IridescentCatalyst Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." - Pablo Picasso

I was too shy to do anything like band or choir, so art it was. Besides, it was cool to be able to create something but also see what others created. My best art tended to be abstract/geometrical, designs of sorts.
:iconsoarxisscared:
soarxisscared Featured By Owner Edited Dec 11, 2016  Professional Digital Artist
I remember drawing since I was a kid. Eventually though, I was really curious why some characters stood out, while other ones were forgotten. I got into 3D later into high school and I've been working on it for a year or two now.A huge influence on me though was video games. So I'm trying to work on 3D everyday so I can improve my topology and character design.
:iconndzoodzoo:
Ndzoodzoo Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't know exactly how it happened. Almost all my siblings drew, so i guess it makes sense that i would too. One of my earliest memories of drawing is of my oldest sibling helping me draw a fish. Good times.
:iconqwaiii:
Qwaiii Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016   Digital Artist
For me, I had 3 siblings and 2 stepsisters that came over every other weekend, so we didn't have much money for video games or really high tech stuff.  So we did a lot of arts and crafts, eventually got this hug box of large sheets of paper that we could just draw all over.  Anytime I wasn't playing with my siblings, I found myself drawing or watching tv.  Pokemon was the first thing I really obsessively drew, ended up drawing all of the 151 Pokemon and just continued to draw as I grew up.  I didn't really see it as a talent until 8th grade when I noticed I was better than my class mates, so from there I decided to take every art class my high school offered.
:iconsaltyfriesngravy:
SaltyFriesNGravy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i had been drawing for quite a while. i remember doing a lot of drawings in grade 3 and 4. they were awful, but i'm sure a lot of people drew badly at that age. and then, i discovered the graphic novels/manga section at my local library. i believe that is where my interest in drawing started to spiral into where i am now. though i don't find drawing fun anymore. all i see it as is an opportunity to kill time and to stop thinking about everything else that happens in my life as well as what will happen in my future.
:iconhimitsuuk:
HimitsuUK Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016   Photographer
I think computer games helped.
:iconxx-royally-mystic-xx:
xX-Royally-Mystic-Xx Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
When I was very little; at about 5 years old I started illustrating dumb books. 
:iconicedcoffeexd:
icedcoffeeXD Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016
It got to a point with me that the music i was relating to wasnt enough. i could not longer match songs with emotions and began expressing my own...then after my adolescence and getting off psychotropic drugs, my emotions leveled out and i lost a need to "be creative" in a producer sense. it was all therapeutic for me. i have since developed other coping mechanisms and forms of expression. the art community thanks me.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My drawing history isn't too different you yours actually. Inspired by stuff I saw on the screen, the anime introduction phase, high school changes and developments, and finally dA being the catalyst to really make it thrive.

Though my starting point was so early I can't even remember. My mother says even when I was like, 1 or 2 years old - all I wanted to do was draw and this never really changed. I was inspired by a mix of nature and videogames, and unusual pair not often overlapping each other, but both were so pretty to look at I just had to draw what I saw in either. This was the early 90's and anime was practically unheard of here until Pokemon popularized it later that decade, so I remember adjusting my drawing style when I was 11-12 to accommodate that. I think lots of artists had an anime phase =p

High school was horrible but I never stopped drawing, but my skill did start to stagnate by the end of it. I felt like I was as good as I was ever going to get without any real, nurturing creative environment to feed off. Then I was led to dA and that helped a secondary surge of growth happen and I'm still here now =p
:iconmaryamaswad:
MaryamAswad Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
When I was twelve I was sad because I thought I wasn't good at anything. My sister had always been great at art so I decided if she can do it, then maybe I can too. I was kind of on and off with it until around three years ago, when I discovered Copics, and started drawing more often, and then this summer I discovered digital art and started drawing even more often, and here I am. :dummy:
:iconelijahmidnight:
ElijahMidnight Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I started in 7th grade at school. I can't seem to pay attention to the teacher unless my hands are doing something. I wasn't allowed to use things like stress balls because they got torn up too easily. They noticed this and told me I could doodle in my extra notebook. I had also started playing Pokémon at that time, so I wound up drawing a Charizard attacking venasuar with flamethrower. This trend continued till I got to high school. They gave me an art class so I didn't murder my notebook with drawing and that's how I came to be a hobby artist. I graduated from high school earlier this year so I've been drawing for a while. 
:iconshikeyy:
Shikeyy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016
It was only three years ago so I remember it quite well

I told a guy I was very good friends with in college that I was amazing at drawing, he asked for proof, I provided it.. I got laughed at.. So I was like FUCK YOU MAN I'LL SHOW YOU I CAN DO THIS

Then it turns out I actually enjoyed it quite a lot :lol:
This is my favourite  story :giggle:
:iconenzitee:
Enzitee Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist General Artist
I was 3 when I first started just... drawing all the time. I really had an obsession with birds so that's pretty much all I drew (even if they were terrible and looked nothing like the original idea lol.) Eventually I moved on to canines when I started second grade, I wrote stories, I drew my characters, and things just kind of happened along the way.
:iconprimogenitor34:
Primogenitor34 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Professional Digital Artist
Pokemon. Seriously. It was Pokemon that got me into art.

My first drawing was a Pikachu riding a Venusaur that I copied from the cover of an old game magazine.
:iconbabakinkin:
BabaKinkin Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Professional Digital Artist
i don't knwo man but i'm too far in it now to get out pls hellp me
:iconastrobauble:
astrobauble Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Student
-pushes you deeper in-
:iconbabakinkin:
BabaKinkin Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Professional Digital Artist
**drowning noises and violent flailing**
*drags you further down* I'm sorry, you're going down with the rest of us.
:iconarathae:
Arathae Featured By Owner Edited Dec 11, 2016  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's the same for me. I was always drawing, just because. Granted, my mother is a really good painter (she has sold several of her works that have been posted up at coffee shops and art shows), and my father appreciates several artists, so my parents never discouraged me from drawing in the first place as a kid.

From age (?) to 11, most of my drawings consisted of Star Wars, Spider-Man, and Bionicle. Age 12 (2007) is when I started drawing anime characters, and 13 (2008) is when I began doing my own original work.
:iconsarang-lee:
Sarang-Lee Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2016  Student Traditional Artist
For as far back as I can remember, I've always love drawing stuff, whether it's just little doodles, or more complex stuff! But more lately I've become a bit more serious about drawing. I always just drew for fun, and I continue to!^^ (although I can get pretty critical about my artworks--I'm hardly satisfied with a single one!Heart Love Heart Love Heart Balloon Emote Heart Balloon Emote Pink Heart Icon Pink Heart Icon *Free Icon/Emote* Totoro ( Heart) *Free Icon/Emote* Totoro ( Heart) Hamtaro Mouse Emoji-03 (Squee) [V1] Hamtaro Mouse Emoji-03 (Squee) [V1] FREE flying hearts Icon FREE flying hearts Icon Love Tards Love Tards Adorable Girl Anime Emoji (Heart Dance) [V6] Adorable Girl Anime Emoji (Heart Dance) [V6] love power love power Squish Hug 2 -  The Eye Poke Squish Hug 2 -  The Eye Poke 
Add a Comment: