Time Lapse Painting

Well, I've just posted this on my time line, then I realised, "just post it in the forums! durrrr..."

I'm thinking of recording a 'time lapse' painting and sticking it on youtube. Just wondering what's the best way to do, i.e. what video/audio software, how to edit, what size file etc. any general advice would be grrrrrrreat,

Stay groovy! G.
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cheers dude, your photography is stunning too :)
Well first you need a camera, a tripod, a dedicated space. Depending on how long this painting takes you, you might want to consider marking the placement of the tripod and locations for the outer edge of the frame, just to help insure consistency between takes, otherwise you might end up with significant jumps between takes.

Essentially you just hit record and start working, take all those videos and put them together in one folder until you are done. What I would do then is bring all those into after effects, trim the parts of each segment that I don't need, (like me turning on the camera and walking to the work area) lining them up together and taking all those and changing the play back the be faster then what they are, until I go it to where I wanted. Overlay any effects, sounds, title cards, etc, export. I would take the videos in full hd, and dick with the fact that I am dealing with GB size video files initially since I have the hardware to do that. But exporting I would use h265.

OR conversely, you could simply take a single photo on a set time frame, say every 15 minutes, 10 minutes, what have you. The benefit is that you end up with an image sequence that is labled chronoloigically, so you can simply import the image sequence and tell it how you want to play it back. The downside is that if you have a certain time frame in mind, you really have to think about how long it is going to take you, how many frames per second you need, so what time frame you need to take images at.

Both will have a slightly varied efffect.
Cheers for the advice, I am going to move on to traditional painting at some point and film that. But I was asking about digital painting, which I totally didn't make clear in my first post. Any advice on filming digital paints. Also, what do you mean by h265?

G.
So for digital painting, you want a good screen capture program. There are a lot out there, free and pay, find what works for you, test it out. I use one called BB flashback express, it has pro and cons, but it's free and simple. It could be better on the file types, but since I have the space for large uncompressed files, and am going to change it into something else later, it's not that big of a deal.

So when you combine them and export them, the h265 codec compresses it to retain intergrity while keeping the file size as small as it can.

All the other advice applies. trim out what you don't need, etc.
Softwawre: Windows Movie Maker
file format: .wmv
Size: depends upon the length of video
General advise: kys