What exactly are adoptabls?

Title says it all. But yea what are they I noticed many of the artist putting up these adoptables.
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
To put it simply, people started making more characters than they wanted, began selling them for points, and eventually tried to make money off of them. Now it's been made more complex with closed species so some traits are blocked off. That's my take on it, anyway. Hope this helps!
See this is why i hate closed species, if you unintentionally create a species that look very similar to theirs, and they find out, you get your ass chewed. 
yeah, cinnadogs are a big one like that, from what i heard
Closed species?
basically, you make your own creature, and sell adoptables of them. only you can create them, but once someone buys one they can draw the one they bought
Alright can you give an example of one cuz honestly I'm not quite sure what you mean. Adoptables are honestly sounding a lot like some sort of major form of scam that somehow ends up being within the law.
gacha imps are a popular, and well made one. They arent really a scam, its like... making a franchise, or pets, i guess. i like to make adoptables sometimes, its like buying a pet. you didnt make it, but you have it now, only you. idk how to explain it well, since im no expert, but thats my take on it :)
I don't think franchise or pet is quite the same thing as a closed species or adoptable.
well, thats the closet analogy i could explain it with, i suppose. '^.^
Alright then when did adoptables start and who started the idea?
Characters other people created and you can buy them.

I don't get the idea of this. People should draw their own characters instead of buying (sometimes even poorly made) character designs. It's not that hard to be creative yourself :P
finally a decent post. But yea it isn't hard to be creative. Seriously. Though I will admit coming up with a decent name for such characters especially when you already have many is difficult. But generally the people who adopt the adoptables aren't at that point you know.
Bootleg Pokemon trading cards.