What do you think about insects?

I personally think I have a phobia of all insects. No matter how harmless, I freak out over 98% of insects. I think butterflies and ants are the only two things that don't freak me out. I especially hate insects that are PESTS like roaches, bed bugs, flies, earwigs, etc. Like get the fuck out of my house, this is my food, water, and heat.!
Comments80
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I love them! They're so cool!!! :D
As long as they don't bite me or anything, I'm okay with them :D
I'd join Peta if it would stop people hurting them.

But I don't think they cover insects.
roaches are the only ones I really despise, and I am terrified of black widows (with good reason) I would probably hate bed bugs if I had any experience with them. mosquitoes, flies, bees, spiders, ants and dragonflies are pretty much a staple of Florida living, you have to watch out for the deadly spiders but other than that you mostly get used to it (or never do anything out doors ever).
insects are cool. they are part of the eco -system. we  really need them.  ;]
Depends on the insect. I don't mind butterflies or grasshoppers, but roaches scare the shit out of me.
Generally I love insects. There are exceptions - I wage war against cockroaches. Also, my favorite "bug" is not an insect (house centipede).

Me playing with a house centipede: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JTNKY…

I spend a lot of time photographing insects, and I'm working on a movie about insects.

Also, made this video a long time ago: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOIFS…
Bugs fascinate me!  As long as they are not in my house.  Once they're inside, all bets are off.  That's one dead creepy-crawly at that point, even if I have to call in hubby to kill it. (I only call him in for centipedes. Those aren't pretty anywhere...)
Prefer not to have them in my house, but I see no reason to kill ones that aren't flies and don't bite.
Live and let live. I personally extend my pacifism even to insects, making an effort to not kill any. I'm not going to die lending a little blood to a mosquito, when I know them to not carry disease where I live.
Yeah, I really don't like them either. I've gotten better about them, but there's some I just really can't stand more than others. Spiders will never leave the top 5 list. I can crush 'em no problem when on the ground, but on walls or ceilings, that's a huge nono. I hate anything that flies really, especially close to my head or in my vision. Lets start a list of all the bugs I hate: Spiders, Honey Bees, Wasps, big Carpenter Ants, Grasshoppers, Mosquitos, Moths, lightning bugs, jUNE BUGS OH GOD...yeah, there's a lot.
Half the time I watch them.
Half the time I stomp them.
Cant stand em. The other day i saw a baby spider dangling from the towel in the bathroom, it was small as a speck, but i still called my bro in to kill it for me.. i cant stand bugs :p
they are an awesome proof of functional perfection, that's why they have lasted so much time on earth you know. but yeah, they scare me a bit xd
I am just scared of wasps and hornets. Maybe because I am alergic and these guys are pretty fast, smart and damn hard to dispose of. Bees! 
I don't mind bugs unless the come into my room uninvited. Then I hold to the warning: "Tresspassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again."
:kiwf: 
They're just plant food to me.
I actually adore bugs. I love all of God's creatures, but bugs have intrigued me since I was a child. Some of my first memories include digging up worms, feeding caterpillars, observing the giant spiders that occasionally build these big funnel webs in our house. OH! Cool thing about those is, (and I did this frequently when I was a kid,) is you can catch a moth or a fly and trow it into the web right near the hole where the spider lives and watch it come out and snatch the bug. It's really fascinating to watch, actually.

The only phobia I have about bugs is I won't let any of them crawl on me ever. This is because when I was little, I used to pick up bugs all the time, but only ones I considered harmless (caterpillars, beetles, worms, nothing that would sting or leave a serious bite, and even as a child I knew the difference.) Well, what I didn't understand as a child was that even "friendly" insects like caterpillars have mandibles for chewing vegetation and they aren't above gnawing on a human out of fear or just being generally insatiable, so I was holding this caterpillar one time and letting it crawl around on my arms and such and it stops suddenly and starts chewing on my hand and it actually hurt a little bit. It wasn't a traumatizing pain, but ever since then I'm distrustful of insects being on me. I actually pick up caterpillars much like you see people picking up snakes for this reason (fingers behind the head so they can tail-whip and curl but not bite.)

And for some reason that I don't know, but consider dumb and irrational, I am also afraid of the legs of any insect. I won't pick up June bugs, not because of their mandibles, but because I know that when I do pick one up by the back to avoid their mandibles, they're going to put their legs up in an effort to push my fingers off of them and it works because I cannot stand the feeling of their legs on me. I know they won't hurt me, but I still feel like they will.

I have a pretty bad case of ants, so they have gotten to a point where they annoy me. They're regular piss ants, but I call them Chernobyl ants for a number of reasons, chiefly in that over the ten years we've had ants, they've evolved to be able to resist anything we throw at them. When I was a child, and there were ants on my glass, I could either blow them off and they would all go away or I could tap on the glass and the vibration would scare them off. When that stopped working, I thought, "Hmm, maybe microwaving will kill them." It did at first. They've since built up a tolerance for microwave radiation. (This is what inspired the name Chernobyl ants.) so then I think, ok now I have to wash the glass every single time {and if you knew the sheer amount of ants and the frequency and rapid nature in which they will invade a glass you take your eyes off of for just a moment, you will realize why this was not a first resort.} But then my dad started buying Raid on a regular basis so I'm like, ok now I can just spray them and they die. Can't build up a tolerance to poison, right? WRONG! I got this brilliant idea, (because while these little bastards annoy me by being everywhere, I still don't like killing them,) that instead of finding the mother colony and spraying it, I would just make a coaster of sorts but folding a paper towel, spraying it with Raid and setting my glass atop that as to deter the ants from invading my glass in the first place. This actually works, but it has to be Raid, which is apparently strong stuff and even then, you need to replace the Raid coaster every few days because it does wear off and they come back. But my dad got Hot Shot, which is a subsequent brand of bug-killer and it does not work on them at all unless I literally drown them in it. Windex kills them better than this stuff. Not joking. And I'm thinking, "Wow, Hot Shot is hella weak." It's not. It killed all the bed bugs in this mattress my dad found, and supposedly bed bugs are not easy to kill. It's the ants that are immune to the stuff. That is terrifying. 

But for the most part, I love insects. I'm actually going to start doing insect taxidermy as soon as I can find the supplies for it. I adore butterflies with everything in me and this time of year I find them dead all the time, (especially as fall approaches.) Just a few nights ago I had a Luna moth fly into my window at the end of its life cycle and it just died in my office overnight by itself. Normally when I find moths and butterflies that are so beautiful that when they so happen to die I want to preserve them, I usually just cut off their wings and laminate them, but Luna Moths are actually not something I see every night (I dare say they're rare; not in general but to my sight) and I do love them so much, so I decided I would put this one in the freezer until I can mount and frame it properly.

So yeah... the tl;dr version is I really freakin' love insects.
I'm relatively tolerant of insects compared to those I know, but still most of the typical "pest" insects, with the exception of moths which I love (why do people hate them? they're pretty! Crying ) will be greeted with a fly swatter/alcohol spray/vacuum cleaner/whatever else within reach. Roaches, flies, wasps, silverfish, bedbugs and especially MOSQUITOES No, I disagree! , this means you!
They are a good source of protein, they do good snacks :popcorn:
"Die monsters you don't belong in this world!" except for the helpful ones like butterflies and ladybugs.
Spiders are my number 1 enemy.
Same here. Except for butterflies and ladybugs. Maybe not ladybugs as they excrete a yellow fluid if you disturb them
They are necessary in nature, but not inside my home or in my food, as long as the little fucks stay away from my reign I am all good, otherwise, I will massacre them with no mercy
I'm freaked out by them as well. Ladybugs are pretty to look at... but nowadays, if one crawls on me.. it just gives me the heebie jeebies. I don't know why :( Because I used to not mind them at all when I was a child.

Don't get me started on roaches. Those are so disgusting. Have you ever seen FLYING roaches??? I encountered several in Vietnam a few years ago. My mother and I were so terrified of them.
I have mixed feelings on the little buggers. The only ones im actually scared of are grubby maggoty things. Yuck. Flies irritate me and gross me out. Crane flies are stupid and clumsy and a cause of mild annoyance. I dont like wasps either and anyone who does is a silly sod.
Moths are <3 <3 <3 
People from elementary school still remember me as the Bug Girl because I spent every recess catching insects.