Things You didn't Get As A Kid That Every Other Kid Did

Okay, so, by the title I mean what type of things did you never get that virtually every other kid around you got? You know when you'd go to school and you had the crappy lunch, while every other kid there had a badass lunch. Or you never got the new gaming system while whenever you went over to your friends house they had one. Or you just never got any of the popular stuff that every other kid got. Why?

For me:

:bulletblack: We never grew up with video game consoles in my house. And I feel like every other kid would have. I guess it's because my parents wanted us to play outside as much as possible or that they were too much money, or maybe fights would start. Well, we had PC games so...

:bulletblack: I always got some crappy lunch while everyone else around me always got the good snacks and never some cheap knock off. I didn't get knock offs all the time for lunch but it mattered when I did. And then everyone would always have lunch money so they could go to the canteen. I had to wait for five fucking weeks back in primary and intermediate, and then my "friends" would get pissed off one day when my order never came... Yeah, because it's such a crime that I'm one of those people who had to wait for weeks on end to get that money to buy something really yum.

:bulletblack: McDonalds was always a treat. Felt like every other kid around me always got to have it.

So, what about you then?
Comments167
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
other kids had siblings. I have none.
really makes having everything suck because you have no one to share it with.
I never went trick or treating till I was 19. I had 10 lbs of candy that year
We never had satellite TV when I was a kid, but we finally got it just a month after I graduated from high school back in 2006.
My parents were the kind that you would find on the cover of some cringe-inducing parenting guide.

Some of their relatively strict rules were picked up by other parents, and I felt so sorry for those other kids.

It kind of seems like those type of parents had some unofficial contest on who can come up with the strictest punishment or house rules, and flattered each other over it too. Because, you know, parents are totally infallible.
I hate strict parents seriously.
I never read Harry Potter, I never celebrated Halloween, and we never owned a gaming console until I was fifteen.

On top of that, I wasn't allowed to watch almost anything on TV. So while other people my age are circlejerking over their experiences with the Nineties, I never know what the fuck they're talking about.
oh and internet without parental controls. I was only allowed to go on kids sites and neopets. Though neopets is pretty awesome so I guess i didn't have it that bad. But I couldn't go on quizilla for a while, which bummed me out. That was before the naruto 7 minutes in heaven stuff started dominating that site. I don't even want to know what stuff is on there now. 1D 7 minutes in heaven, probably.
I didn't start using the internet until I was about 11. I may have started using it in late 2006 and really only started in early 2007. I still asked my parents whenever I wanted to go on though.
i don't remember when I began using the internet, but I remember I got my first computer when I was 5.
Parental controls were the worst. Bypassing it was more trouble than it was even worth.
i also had a time limit or 2 hours a day
There was one point where I was only allowed fifteen minutes per day. That's shorter than the official world record for breath-holding
Wow, that's brutal.
cable and lunchables. Sucked at the time but now that I think of it as a wise, mature adult, I think i was better off without those things. Most kids shows on cable television aren't very educational and having the kids shows end at 6 PM every night forced me to do my homework at a reasonable time. As for lunchables, those things are terrible for you. Although I did go through this phase where I would have fluff and jelly sandwiches for lunch every day. Not sure if that's healthier or not.
We usually weren't allowed to watch Cartoon Network or that after school but eventually I was able to get away with it. Man, looking back at how obsessed I was with it.

Lunchables? You mean like those packets with juice boxes and other crap?
yes, and "pizzas" which were crackers with tomato sauce and shredded cheese. It's really not appetizing when i think about it now
Nothing, now that I think about it.

I was taken care of pretty well by my folks. Despite the verbal fights I'd have with them from time to time during puberty :O Well I did half jokingly asked dad for a GTR then he told me sarcastically "Ask your father,". Did nick a showroom model from one of his dealerships, 1am in the morning, took it for a joy ride for an hour with a mate then returned it like a ninja Oh well. Guess I'm a spoilt creature.
I was never allowed to sleep over anywhere. It made me very sad. :saddummy:
I don't know, my parents were overall just paranoid. They didn't trust anyone. Every friend's parents were potential child murderers and/or rapists. 
When I asked to sleep over with friends that lived a mere 400 meters away from our house, in a tent in their garden during summer, they freaked out in front of the other parents themselves. It was rather awkward. Not that they accused those parents of being rapists right then and there :lol: But they lost it about sleeping in a tent. My logic was that they live so close by, so we can easily hurry home whenever we want to. But mom saw it more as 'you live so close by, so there's no need to sleep over.' Fair enough.
But when I asked to sleep over with a friend who lived in another village, they lost it again. :lol: 
I couldn't even be bothered to list them. There'll be the "be grateful of what you have".

True enough, I stopped caring about what others had back then. Whatever....

If anything, AC in my own room.
Yep. Just be grateful that you got whatever you had as a kid. I'm still graetful that my parents even took care of me as a kid. :D

AC?
Air conditioner. I wanted to have a cool room.