Having a right to feel sad

What do you say when someone's argument is that you don't have the right to feel sad? I don't have the resolve* to even argue with them. (*pretty sure this is the right word)
Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Tell them that's stupid. Everyone has emotions.
I say sadness is relative.
"You don't have the right to tell me what's right."
It doesn't make sense. If they say that, then there's a good chance I'm already sad, so I wouldn't want to have to deal with that person. Though the way I am, I'd get mad, because how dare they tell me what I can and can't feel. :iconmadnoesplz:
:pointr: I have moved this thread to the Deviants Forum as it is more appropriate here. Please consider all the forums before posting in them - this should help! :)
Weird. I commented entirely on the wrong thread, even after double-checking the OP. I'm going to bed after this, Calvero. I'm not awake.

The best response to someone who says that you have no right to be sad is no response at all. People who think they have a right to control your emotions are absolutely not worth talking and listening to. If they are people who are unavoidable such as family members or authority figures, definitely avoid talking about your feelings with them and instead go to people who can demonstrate a bit more compassion or empathy.

Certainly there are situations in which someone may tell you that they feel it is odd for you to feel sad (such as when something bad happens to someone you did not know at all) but I would just gently remind them that you can't help it. Explaining why you feel the way you do is a way to make them understand and is helpful for you to release your inner turmoil about something. Unless they're not interested in listening, it might even help them understand you more as a person in general.
I've moved the thread. :)
I flagged the wrong thread to begin with. :XD:
Ah, no worries then! :D
Are you saying that I'm breaking some rule?
Not knowing how to read isn't breaking a rule but the actions resulting of not knowing how to read generally do.

Edit: I like still like this statement. :P
"Yeah, like how you don't have the rights to feel hungry or peckish when it's not major meal times." :lol:
Which I find funny, considering smaller meals (that amount to a balanced daily diet) throughout the day is supposed to be healthier than two/three big major meals. Especially with how many people completely skip breakfast just to pig out at Lunch. :lol:
Depends on what those smaller meals consists of...Snack and chips? :lol:
I can't imagine skipping breakfast! :noes: 
Very true. :lol: I guess some people do take that advice to mean that they can nibble on a bag of cheetos all day long. But to be fair, they probably weren't living a healthy lifestyle to begin with.

Skipping breakfast makes me grumpy. :nod:
I get the same sort of reactions when I'm still hungry after a meal.
KFC Chicken Epic Dance  buy snacks and dance infront of them.

I usually walk away when people treat emotions as if it was a previlage.
it's an invalid argument actually, because you do have the right to be sad
they were probably trying to make you feel better, tho ida just sucked it in and ignored it really. u can't help emotions, but as time goes on, so does your life, and then things start to look better :)
I don't get how it would help me feel better. I just ended up feeling worse for feeling sad without a right to feel sad.
lol don't worry, it happens to all of us to be honest. personally, I've found that it's best to deal with your issues yourself, and to use your hobbies as an outlet
Saying that sounds like 'blaming the victim' to me.