3D Printers

This is one of the most exciting pieces of technology in the world today for me.  I know 3D printing has technically existed for decades but being able to buy the printers for your home pretty new. 

The wildest recent news with these to me is how they are experimenting with living tissue "ink", in time they will be able to print working organs and traditional organ donation and its problems will be obsolete. 

I think at some point in my lifetime these things will become so inexpensive and common that everyone will have them in their homes. At that point things will get real interesting, I imagine it will bankrupt a lot of businesses. Still, all in all I think this is a positive development, hopefully I will get my hands on one eventually. 
Comments205
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm excited about them too. I don't have one currently, or access to one, but everything I hear about them sounds cool.

Also, yeah, technology in general is going to do really weird and probably bad things to the job market. To the point where there literally won't be enough jobs for everyone. It'll be interesting to see how we deal with that. (And by interesting, I mean it'll probably be embarrassingly bad, because... humans.)

But hell, if I had a 3D printer, I would totally get back into 3D modelling. :la:
I'm actually kind of scared of this new tecnology. I haven't seen one work, but I'm afraid pirating is gonna go into real objects now,
I read a story about a guy who wanted a classic Aston Martin, but didn't have the money to buy a real one. He decided to buy a 3D printer and print the car panels out piece by piece, and put them over the chassis of another car, thus creating a perfect replica... on the outside at least.
if he had a metal printer he could print the whole engine too. 
Would it work if it came out of a printer though?
why not? if all the parts were to spec they would be the same thing. Jay Leno prints engine parts for his antique cars. 
My school got one this year. I've never seen it work though.

The college I'm going to next year has several.
I agree. My High School had an awesome 3D printer and I miss it so much. I'm saving up to get one for myself when I can. I'd love to get one that can print chocolate too, or can be adapted to do so, for my baking. I could do so much with a chocolate 3D printer. So much.
They are amazing!:D (Big Grin) 
I would torrent the schematics for food and just print Olive Garden out all the time.
i don't see how the food could taste right. 
I imagine it'd be on par with fast food quality.
ya which is toxic garbage to me. 
My classmate told me a lot about them. His father works with 3d Printers. :) (Smile)   He told me you need a 3d software. It would be pretty cool if you could print a little pony. :D (Big Grin) 
Maybe, in the future 3d printers will become a normal, common thing to have.
Maybe, in the future 3d printers will become a normal, common thing to have.

that's my prediction, the prices keep dropping. 

:saddummy: I thought this thread would be about guns. 
How much are 3D printers exactly?

Also, I hear you can print chocolate 8D
Does that mean you can control the amount of calories and shit in them?
they vary a lot. you can spend a few hundred or a million dollars. 

no idea about the chocolate, I have no interest in printing my food. 
One day I will get my own 3D printer, and I will print cool shit. :nod:
Print working organs? How is that even possible? I always thought 3D Printing was restricted to objects, but organs?

Holy smokes.
uses a living cell raw material the build organs piece by piece. 
No Stem Cells or anything?
stem cells are a totally different concept. the way they work is they are like blank slates and can be put in damaged parts of the body where they will turn into that type of cell. this is actually creating an organ synthetically.  I have no idea exactly what the raw material are though. 
Where did you hear about this? I want to know more, this sounds quite exciting.