deviantART popularity

How do you define popularity on dA?
Is it the amount of pageviews, +faves or watchers?
Something else? Number of DDs or their symbol?

I'm sure this has been done before, will be done again and will forever haunt us - but I was having a conversation last night, and it's left me curious...

in YOUR opinion, what makes a member of deviantART "popular"?

NOTE: This isn't a how do I become popular thread - if you're looking for advice on this: be active. That is all.
Comments232
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think it has to do with exposure to be honest. If the member is active in the community, approachable, and is uploading art frequently then they might get noticed. When they get noticed, they keep getting noticed, you know? 
For me it's how many fans you have. Not just plain watchers but actual fans who will buy any commission/product from you, comment and fave every single thing you post and defend you from trolling/harrasing no matter what. I think that people with 10,000+ watchers are considered "someone" and 50,000+ are celebrities on dA.
Well, I think we all want to have some fun online, just take it easy and enjoy! Thx for the ideas wwt! 
In my opinion their popular if they talk to me? Because I don't notice people by username unless they talk to me >w<
I'm oblivious to popularity.
I would  have to say good art, even though that depends on personal preference, lots of pageviews and watchers. Lots of views on individual pieces. 
For me, i think it's the amount of true friends you have. And the number of active watchers who comment and fav your work.
I think it's about all of those things, but mainly having a fanbase , people recognizing your art/style instantly and appreciating your work as an artist :>
When I recognize them immediately.
Recognition seems like a common answer :nod:
Sometimes I recognize their style before I see their name.
That's how it works with styles that are so popular they're "mainstream", except in this case it's not one person but thousandsGiggle 
There is that. Though there are a few mainstream styles where I can still recognize certain peoples work. But then there's things like anime/manga where I don't even know what the difference is, just if it looks appealing or not to my tastes =P

Or those my little pony drawing things, kind of like pagedolls? I don't know what they are, but they all look the same to me :O
I have to say it's the focus of your art. :( I'm starting to understand the dichotomy of mainstream art (ex. fanart) and unique art on DA. You see many artists with artwork from movies, cartoons, shows, and video games with a lot of popularity, but not so much with artists who have outstanding, unique ideas. I think DA needs to do a better job with showcasing original artwork. That's just my opinion. Then again the artists themselves need to advertise more and be active.

And I hate to admit that I'm actually in the same boat. Waaaah! 
So pretty much - the views/comments/+favs on your artwork probably?

I think gaining popularity on dA can be quite a challenge - like you said especially if you don't have some mainstream works submitted, fanart seems easier to attain notice on your art itself. :nod:
Yes. Stare I'm kind of not worried with favorites.

And not getting noticed can hurt your chances of sharing ideas with others. (That's me right now. :( (Sad))
Fair enough =P

Yes - it's a tough go.
Being active is the best advice I have for getting recognition on here, there's some articles might be of interest to you :)
5 tips to gaining & maintaining watchers
how to gain more exposure on deviantART
Activity vs. Community
Sharing your art: chat, forums & groups
are a few that may help if you're interested :)
Thanks I'll try that.
No problem :) Good luck!
A deviant who makes great artwork and people like them and their art. That is all.
Who ever is having the most fun of course. :w00t:
:la: are you having fun!?
Always babay!!! :eager:
Potatoes and beans