Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 43

Does this sound like a legitimate Gaelic saying?

:iconscars-and-stripes:
scars-and-stripes Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
A friend of mine came to me asking if I'd sketch up a tattoo design for him, so I asked what he had in mind. The saying he wants to use is "Leannan an saol ar adhaidh".

I do not speak Gaelic. However, a quick google search revealed that this might actually be "Leannan an soal ar aghaidh".

I also read that this isn't really how a Gaelic speaker would say this phrase, which apparently means "Life goes on".

Anyone out there have any input or tips? I'd hate for my buddy to get a tattoo that actually means 'stoat fornication' or something on accident...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondomnuwyrda:
DomnuWyrda Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Go léir go bhfuil an saol álainn.
Roughly, "All that is life is beautiful". Would that suit you better than "A lover of life ahead"?
scars-and-stripes Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
I like that, but he's looking for something that's more "life goes on", kind of like a "shit happens" sort of saying. But slightly more optimistic...

The phrases Leannan an saol, Teann an saol ar aghaidh, Beatha leanann and Tha sin mar sin are also ones I'm considering, but I'd like outside opinion on them as well...
:iconkightster:
Kightster Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
Sounds like someone chocking on a peanut.
scars-and-stripes Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
:rofl:
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013   Digital Artist
I would help you since I was raised and still living in Ireland... but I know feck all Irish since I got exempted for being born in a different country. I know how to tell some one to kiss my arse, call them an idiot and that's about it sentence wise. =B Not sure if you want Irish Gaeilge though...
"Kiss my ass" would be a great tattoo, but maybe not for this particular friend...
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
As far as I'm concerned if he's getting a Gaelic tattoo he can't read, he deserves the most ridiculous phrase possible permanently on his body. 
He's half Chinese half Irish. I feel like if he had a nonsensical Irish tattoo, he'd probably just laugh and go get a nonsensical Chinese tattoo as well.
:iconkightster:
Kightster Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013
"I like it up me bum" sounds like an appropriate choice.
I need to put in Gaelic asap :eager:
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I would proudly bear that in chinese letters.
Add a Comment: