Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

Do you frequent any real-life groups or clubs?

:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm lacking in the friends department, and whenever I mention this, everyone and their dog tends to reply by suggesting that I go to 'groups and clubs' to meet people.

But I wonder how many people actually really do go to 'groups and clubs', or whether it's just one of those things that people *say* because it seems like the kind of place people *should* be gathering.

So, I'm curious! Do you go to any real world groups or clubs on a regular basis? What kind? Have you ever made close friends through them?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcixie:
cixie Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Fight club :iconbadassplz:
:iconlugiayoshi:
I used to be on a anime club, but it got cancelled due to the club leader didn't come in and he never called me. I was suspected it might related to my banned from a Livestream chat with one online person that lead me to the loss of four friends (including my best friend) at a same time follow up with a college probation after my anxiety attack of the loss of friends and afraid of people treating me like a Chris-Chan despite of my high functioning autism.
:iconfalseshepherd:
FalseShepherd Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
The mile high.
:iconsarix:
Sarix Jan 24, 2013  Student Filmographer
I drop in on a college gamer's club between classes during my longest day on campus. I mostly play fighting games and have slowly been creating interest in others to become skillful at them too lol.
:iconmrwillleh:
MrWillLeh Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Does a go home- club count? I've always loved solitude so I don't really mind if I'm in a group or alone :D . Other than that I'm in a moped club dedicated for one of the Finland's old classic mark and in a worldwide club of model machinists :P
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I went to meetup.com and joined a video game developer's group.
It's kind of good and bad because it makes me feel like a big noob, but it inspires me to actually get stuff done.

Programmers seem to love making clubs, there are a lot in my area and it's not even that big of a city.
:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm surprised by that; as a video game developer of sorts myself, I wouldn't have considered it a very social or club-oriented group as a whole! Not like sports clubs or things like that, anyway.
I'm also curious about whether you're the only woman to attend such things; I always thought of it as a very male-dominated interest (a fact which constantly annoys me).

Unfortunately for me, the only things on meetup.com within 50 miles of where I live are a reiki group and a 'spiritual friends' group, both of which seem to attract four old women each. Hmm.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I guess sometimes even programmers like to get together and talk about programming related things. I think they also use it for professional advancement, networking, etc. And the one I go to, it's like 30 totally awkward people with no social skill all in a room together. Which is a bit weird.

I'm not the only woman who attends, but I'm one of only two or three regular female attendees who actually writes code, the others do things like art assets. But I haven't run into people being either dismissive or people being creepy. Everyone's pretty nice. (It might help that I bring baked goods to every meeting. I enjoy feeding people.)

I'm actually trying to learn Unity to fit in better 3: It's so much higher level than the language I know (Python) that it feels like cheating.
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Jan 23, 2013  Student General Artist
I didn't know "groups" and "clubs" existed out of school...

I was in the marching band in high school. That was fun. I guess
Add a Comment: