Do you frequent any real-life groups or clubs?

I'm lacking in the friends department, and whenever I mention this, everyone and their dog tends to reply by suggesting that I go to 'groups and clubs' to meet people.

But I wonder how many people actually really do go to 'groups and clubs', or whether it's just one of those things that people *say* because it seems like the kind of place people *should* be gathering.

So, I'm curious! Do you go to any real world groups or clubs on a regular basis? What kind? Have you ever made close friends through them?
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I used to be on a anime club, but it got cancelled due to the club leader didn't come in and he never called me. I was suspected it might related to my banned from a Livestream chat with one online person that lead me to the loss of four friends (including my best friend) at a same time follow up with a college probation after my anxiety attack of the loss of friends and afraid of people treating me like a Chris-Chan despite of my high functioning autism.
I drop in on a college gamer's club between classes during my longest day on campus. I mostly play fighting games and have slowly been creating interest in others to become skillful at them too lol.
Does a go home- club count? I've always loved solitude so I don't really mind if I'm in a group or alone :D . Other than that I'm in a moped club dedicated for one of the Finland's old classic mark and in a worldwide club of model machinists :P
I went to meetup.com and joined a video game developer's group.
It's kind of good and bad because it makes me feel like a big noob, but it inspires me to actually get stuff done.

Programmers seem to love making clubs, there are a lot in my area and it's not even that big of a city.
I'm surprised by that; as a video game developer of sorts myself, I wouldn't have considered it a very social or club-oriented group as a whole! Not like sports clubs or things like that, anyway.
I'm also curious about whether you're the only woman to attend such things; I always thought of it as a very male-dominated interest (a fact which constantly annoys me).

Unfortunately for me, the only things on meetup.com within 50 miles of where I live are a reiki group and a 'spiritual friends' group, both of which seem to attract four old women each. Hmm.
I guess sometimes even programmers like to get together and talk about programming related things. I think they also use it for professional advancement, networking, etc. And the one I go to, it's like 30 totally awkward people with no social skill all in a room together. Which is a bit weird.

I'm not the only woman who attends, but I'm one of only two or three regular female attendees who actually writes code, the others do things like art assets. But I haven't run into people being either dismissive or people being creepy. Everyone's pretty nice. (It might help that I bring baked goods to every meeting. I enjoy feeding people.)

I'm actually trying to learn Unity to fit in better 3: It's so much higher level than the language I know (Python) that it feels like cheating.
I didn't know "groups" and "clubs" existed out of school...

I was in the marching band in high school. That was fun. I guess
I was active in Boy Scouts, back when I was young enough. I hope to go back as an adult leader someday.
I go to Choir, if that fits? :O

Otherwise, there's a photography society thing that I'm in, but it's not as regular as Choir.

I've met a few that I talk/sit with, but I don't consider them close friends.
I used to play coed volleyball when I was single. I met a lot of nice people and had fun playing as well. But now that I'm married with kids all the clubs seem to be for the kids and you meet their parents.
Yup. All the time. I work at conventions around the country from Table-top gaming to Anime. I thrive in them because we all get drunk at the end of every night. Made loads of friends and you don't bond with someone until you get drunk with them and then tell them that they are a prick but you love them. :dummy:
Two clubs (college based) and two groups (not college based, NaNoWriMo and a Scion show.)
No groups, I still keep in touch with many people from my past and current job. But one friend from work I hang out with often.
I think it's an... ok piece of advice, but to be honest I have never done it myself.

Do you have a job? When getting a new job, I instantly gain tons of friends. :P And then I'm introduced to their friends.
Depends on the job, no?

Though I agree with you that you can easily make friends at a job. :nod:
Sure it depends. But on most jobs, it seems to be the case.
I guess there is that. :nod:
I'm in a couple a clubs in my college. The Creative Writing Club and the Student Government Association are clubs that I've joined in the past couple of months. I'm also the President of the Meditation Club. Since I'm new to my school, it helped immensely to join these clubs; I've made a couple friends and I've gotten some good opportunities because of them. I definitely recommend finding a club about something you like. :-)
*couple OF clubs
I never go to clubs myself but I can guarantee you there are always a lot of people you can meet there, a friend of mine goes whenever he has time and he almost always meets new people

If those are the right kind of people for you to befriend is an other question