What's a fair split between writer and artist?

Hey guys,

I'm a writer/creator. I'll soon be looking for an artist to partner with on my comic but I'm not sure what a fair split would be. I want to submit my comic to Image and before I offer an artist a certain percentage of the presumed profits, I'd like to hear from the community.

I would write and storyboard all issues. So the artist would be doing the pages from start to finish (including lettering). The characters for the first issue have been designed, but as new characters are needed the artist would help with character design.

If things were to continue in a similar manner, me writing and storyboarding and the artist doing the pages, what would sound like a fair split or partnership agreement? (If the comic were picked up by Image or another publisher.)

And by this, I mean looking past the first issue. I would be willing to offer some money for the first issue (the one that I would submit to Image), so that if it weren't picked up at least the art would not have been done for free.

Thoughts? I would love to hear from those of you with experience in this matter.

Thanks!
Comments3
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
To be honest, I think this is in the wrong place. I'd try "Job Offers" or "Projects" instead
Hello? How is no one responding to my question? This is a real question. Not some idle chat.

I'm just looking for a ball park figure.